Other Guitars

NGD - 1969 Mosrite Avenger

I made a trade with Polecats and came away with my first Mosrite. It just arrived.

I had PC remove the neck for easier shipping. I’m now having trouble sliding the neck back into the body pocket. I don’t want to force it until I let it get used to the environment, in case it it temporarily swollen.

Turns out that you must remove the neck pickup and it slides right in!

Strung up and almost ready to go. But I think I’ll need another shim. Maybe 2.

Congrats Bob on the first ever Mosrite you have. Thank you for the trade. The 50s Strat I received in trade is great. I will do a NGD once I string it up. I have the shim on neck on but don’t have time now to string it. You kept it in immaculate condition. Your Mosrite is well worn but it’s 50 years old so that’s to be expected. It feels so comfortable to play. People pay lots of money for artificially created relics but you got the real thing.

My new Strat is just calling out to play some Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens on it. Thanks for the trade and I’m glad I could keep the Mosrite in the GDP family.

Now go off and play Pipeline or Rock Lobster or something.

First it’s Diamondhead. Then, In-a-Gadda-de-vitta, baby!

Congrats, Bob!

Report one: WOW! The neck! The nut width is a tad thin for some songs, 1 1/2” but I’m used to it. Mosrite players say it’s too chunky, but it’s as slim as my Gretschs. I love it. The icing on this very surfy cake is it’s 7.25 radius! Bonus!

Beautiful guitar, but a 1.5" nut width? Oy!

I got used to narrow necks playing my G&L for many years. The Guild Capri is almost as narrow.

Congrats, Bob H. It’s a beauty and I’m kinda jealous.

First it’s Diamondhead. Then, In-a-Gadda-de-vitta, baby!

– Bob Howard

That Iron Butterfly song sounds hard to play.

Report one: WOW! The neck! The nut width is a tad thin for some songs, 1 1/2” but I’m used to it. Mosrite players say it’s too chunky, but it’s as slim as my Gretschs. I love it. The icing on this very surfy cake is it’s 7.25 radius! Bonus!

– Bob Howard

To me it felt wide. I guess it’s what you are used to.

Hey man kool! A surprise to us all. Next you should get that Joe Maphis doubleneck

1.5” is narrower than a Rickenbacker. The 620 is 1.63”.

1.5” is narrower than a Rickenbacker. The 620 is 1.63”.

– Bob Howard

Wow I had no idea. For some reason the neck felt wide. I have no issues with any chord shapes on that neck. On my Fillmore I have issue going from 1st position A major to b minor bar at the 2nd.

Congrats on your very cool vintage Mosrite....and welcome to the Offset Guitar Road Less Traveled Club. There seems to be a bit of M.A.S. (Mosrite Acquisition Syndrome) going around on the Gretsch Pages these days . Regarding the nut width, some of the MIJ replicas have slightly wider nut widths and current Hallmarks are 1 5/8. I am a bit surprised about the 7.5" fretboard radius on the Avenger as Mosrites tend to be flatter (around 14"). If you need anything Mosrite, Bob Shade is the go to guy. Bob of course is the man behind Hallmark guitars but has been restoring and repairing Mosrites for a long time and he is familiar with every little idiosyncrasy (and they have a few as you are learning) of the brand. You are going to love those big, honkin' high output pu's. They sound great and sound like nothing else (which is usually a good match for folks who like Gretsch guitars).

Thanks, Gretschadelphia. And thanks for the important info (in another thread) about Hallmark being in my neighborhood (almost). I would like to visit Bob Shade’s house of Mosrite someday, but I’m afraid it’ll be too tempting. This is only $999 away from comming home with me.

One more happy surprise. It weighs in at a very comfortable 8.1 lbs.

I am a bit surprised about the 7.5" fretboard radius on the Avenger as Mosrites tend to be flatter (around 14").

I know, right? One thing that worried me about Mosrites in general is their flatness of neck. Happy surprises abound.

Congrats on yet another cool acquisition, Bob! You need to do a family portrait thread and analysis for those of us who live vicariously through your GAS.

Register Sign in to join the conversation