Other Guitars

NGD: 1949 blonde Gibson ES-5

That is just beautiful! Congrats!

By the way, on this one the middle pickup is out of phase...shouldn't it be the bridge pickup?

– 58dutchie

I have the same experience with mine and swapped it to the neck position.Here it sounds normal. So I guess, in the middle the strings deliver such frequencies, that makes it sound like " out of phase"

Dang! My dream guitar! I gigged an Epiphone ZBD for a couple years that kinda scratched the itch but...well...you know. Enjoy!!!

By the way, on this one the middle pickup is out of phase...shouldn't it be the bridge pickup?

– 58dutchie

Usually yes, though I've heard of ES-5's with the middle pickup OOP. Seems cooler to have the middle pickup out of phase , if you turn it down you have a "normal" twin pickup guitar, as if you were playing an ES-350.

If you prefer to have the bridge pickup OOP, it's a no-soldering modification that won't devalue your guitar, flipping magnets doesn't hurt anything and it 100% reversible.

Beautiful guitar!

I have the same experience with mine and swapped it to the neck position.Here it sounds normal. So I guess, in the middle the strings deliver such frequencies, that makes it sound like " out of phase"

– Voodooholly

Holly, an ES-5 is supposed to have one pickup out of phase, that's how they came. Listen to T-Bone Walker and Jimmy Nolen on their ES-5's to hear the out of phase thing.

1 on my list without a doubt. Beautiful guitar .....Congratulations!

Holly, an ES-5 is supposed to have one pickup out of phase, that's how they came. Listen to T-Bone Walker and Jimmy Nolen on their ES-5's to hear the out of phase thing.

– WB

Hi Walter, thank you for the info. I thought first , that something went wrong with my layout of the wireing

Here's an old vid of me demoing my '49. I show the out of phase middle pickup around 3:00 if you want to avoid the bad dialogue and worse playing.

Here's an old vid of me demoing my '49. I show the out of phase middle pickup around 3:00 if you want to avoid the bad dialogue and worse playing.

– spike

Well done Spike. That's what I exactly thought about the in- between-positions : Stratosound. A very versatile guitar IMO.!!!

She's lovely! Congrats!

I didn't realize that Gibson hollowbodies from this era had such thick tops. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Funny you say that because that's the first thing I noticed too! Very thick top! In later years they are not that thick as far as I know...

Thanks for that Spike... I enjoyed it!

– spike

HEY! Is that my Electro II in the background? ;)

You are correct sir!

– Voodooholly

My Carlo Robelli ES-500 (made by Peerless) has the middle pickup out of phase by design. With the middle pickup engaged with either or both neck and bridge, you get the hum-cancelling effect, plus you can get those Strat-like tones from position 2 and 4, only way beefier with the P-90's.

Pick down by the bridge and do a couple 1/2 step bends for that old fat-strings sound.

I wrote a letter to the first owner (having discovered his current address) but the letter is still on it's way (I have a tracking number)...it's been almost a month now and I can see it arrived in the US some two weeks ago...very strange! Perhaps because of the snow/cold in that area (Buffalo, NY)?

Yes, as far as I know it does...I even got a postal code.

There was a little guitar shop in Mesa, Arizona in the late '60s-early '70s. I walked in one day and there was a Byrdland with staple pickups and an ES-5 with P90s. Both were sunburst and were absolutely stunning. If there was one day I could go back in time to buy a guitar, that would probably be it.

There was a little guitar shop in Mesa, Arizona in the late '60s-early '70s. I walked in one day and there was a Byrdland with staple pickups and an ES-5 with P90s. Both were sunburst and were absolutely stunning. If there was one day I could go back in time to buy a guitar, that would probably be it.

– Don Birchett

Do you recall what the prices were, Don? Just curious. I didn't begin to get involved in vintage guitars until the late 70's, but I still look back (longingly!) on the prices of some of the things I saw back then, and into the 80's.

I can tell you I bought my ES-350/ES5 prototype from Gruhn's in '91 for $1400.

Register Sign in to join the conversation