Other Guitars

NGD: 1949 blonde Gibson ES-5

Hi there,

Treated myself for Christmas and got me a 1949 ES-5N, a blonde beauty! She sounds and plays really good, in fact she looks and sounds exactly like this:

Like I said in another thread, there is a name and address written under the trussrod cover: Irvin F. Lynn of 97 Saint Joseph Avenue in Buffalo, New York. I would love to get in touch with him, can anyone please help? Or a younger relative of mr. Lynn perhaps? The dealer where the guitar was for sale (in Rochester, NY) said that they had the guitar from a guy that bought it new in 'upstate New York'...so that could be correct! And now the guitar is in Europe!

Enjoy the pics! By the way, what do you think the darker spot is (left of the knobs)? My guess is that it's from a cigarette (someone turning the knobs while holding a burning cigarette).

Beautiful ! Looks to me like the spot was an old ding repair, perhaps it matched the color when done but the top has since faded, showing the repaired finish. Not problematic at all, just a little character mark.

Gorgeous guitar! Congratulations--I've owned an 59 ES125TDC, but never a full-size old Gibson arch-top... and I have always lusted after one. Nice work!

Saw your post on FB - I have a '49. Really terrific guitar. Versatile, comfy, and tone for days.

This is breath-takingly beautiful. And I'm always happy when such a guitar makes it to Europe. Congratulations, dutchie. Play it in excellent health!

Stunner! Congratulations and enjoy.

I can't believe it's in such great condition all around.

I hope you like Ramen noodles, 'cause it looks like you might be living off them for a while. ;)

Beautiful ! Looks to me like the spot was an old ding repair, perhaps it matched the color when done but the top has since faded, showing the repaired finish. Not problematic at all, just a little character mark.

– Opie

No, it's too dark for that...it's more orange/brown

By the way, on this one the middle pickup is out of phase...shouldn't it be the bridge pickup?

Really beautiful! Congratulations!
I should’ve planned this a bit better because I am about 12 km away from you with my 59 Annie....

That's gorgeous! You can get your T-Bone on big time with that beauty!

Great guitar - congratulations!

Beautiful aul geet ,congrats Dutchie !

Wow, love it.

Wow! And what a stunning example it is...That’s beautiful and a hell of a way to treat yourself. My treat was a Christmas pudding.

By the way, what do you think the darker spot is (left of the knobs)?

My guess is that the darker spot is the reason you'll be selling this guitar in a couple of weeks.

Beautiful guitar. I've always wanted to try one out, but have never so much as seen one in the flesh.

I'm pretty envious, though I could never afford one anyway.

Wow, it just got even cooler! There's also a message hidden inside the guitar! It says that Irvin Lynn bought the guitar on October 29, 1949, at the Wurlitzer company in Buffalo, NY, for the price of $390,00 !!! I just love these things!

By the way, since these P90's have nickel polepieces where they should be gold (ES-5 officially has gold hardware, but I've seen more ES-5's with nickel polepieces), can you all please take a look if these pickups, pots and cap look original to you (end 40's)? The pickups (all three of them) have these typical black-white-black bobbins; I have seen those before but only on pre-1950 P90's, so that's a good sign! Furthermore, the pots are IRC (0.5 meg) but I can't read the date codes (solder on it)...but they look 'end 40s' to me...only thing I cannot really see well is the capacitor...is there someone who can recognize it? It looks to me like some paper in oil cap...could be 40's, don't know. The pickup covers don't have any markings on the underside and that is also correct for the very early ones if I'm not mistaken. All solder looks to be original.

https://i.imgur.com/yzRrRcz...

That's a gorgeous guitar - congrats! I love the interior photos.

Register Sign in to join the conversation