Other Guitars

New Revelation 12 String

Inexplicably, I bought a new guitar- the first in seven years.

The very splendid member Superaxe63 has a store in England called Vintage and Modern Guitars and really looked after me properly for this. It's a modest guitar in financial terms, but he couldn't have treated me any better if I'd bought a grail instrument like the legendary 1957 Carfax Desperado.

And a little tip of the hat to Dave K too- he bought one some time ago and I noticed how highly he rated it.

Pictures still down? Have a link to V&M for a better picture than I could take-

https://www.vintageandmoder...

A new guitar is good for a new song, right? Demo here-

https://soundcloud.com/thre...

Glad you're enjoying the new guitar, Adrian. -- and yes, Phil runs a great shop over in Thame. The Rev sounds excellent on the demo -- good song too, and nicely recorded.

Wow, Shuie,

You got your inner McGuinn going on, don't you?

Sounds great!

Thanks for putting up the picture Tubs.

Bob and Crowbone, you're right, doing my very best Roger there. Funny guitar to play is a twelve, this is the only lefty I've ever played. Got to be really square on the note or the octaves go all furry. Would be very happy if one day I can manage to channel a bit of Gene Clark to go in too.

Cheers Dave. Tell me, what case did you get for yours?

Ade, I bought one of those cases with a foam block interior with a nylon zip cover. Not bombproof by any means, but it does the job. Various people do these and they're usually about £50. Just make sure they're long enough to take a 12-string.

Mine's a bit like this one.

Wow that's cool - love it

Thanks for putting up the picture Tubs.

Bob and Crowbone, you're right, doing my very best Roger there. Funny guitar to play is a twelve, this is the only lefty I've ever played. Got to be really square on the note or the octaves go all furry. Would be very happy if one day I can manage to channel a bit of Gene Clark to go in too.

Cheers Dave. Tell me, what case did you get for yours?

– ade

Sweet! Lots of 12-string electric players use a bit of compression (including Roger) - you might experiment with that if you have a pedal lying around. Clarence also used compression to improve the sustain on some of those B-Bender solos ("There must be someone", etc). I love the entire Byrds catalog from Preflyte to Farther Along. Everything anyone would ever want for songwriting, singing, musical performance. Each era of the band produced, at times, extraordinary work. Roger's 12-string is the bedrock of all of it, of course. Here's to your new axe, and the Byrds!

Wow, Shuie,

You got your inner McGuinn going on, don't you?

Sounds great!

– crowbone

My exact sentiments! Got some of that same style from Eight Miles High.

Great job!

That is a nice unique 12 string-er!

The guitar playing is McGuinn. The singing is all its own (a good thing) but I hear kind of a cross between McGuinn and Clark. This would have fit in very nicely in the 5D/Younger than Yesterday/Notorious Bird Brothers Catalog and would have been a welcome replacement for many of the songs on those.

Well done, my friend!

Thanks all for the encouraging feedback. Much appreciated and carefully considered.

I redid the vocals on 'You Are Cordially Invited', a bit more incisive now-

The 12 String is so useful it helped to finish another track. The Revelation 12 has a supporting role in this 60s-style Espionage theme, chock-full of of twangy guitars, harpsichord and all the other sonic nonsense you'd expect-

Living with the instrument, I'm ever more impressed by it. It plays completely in tune all the way up the neck, is comfy and balanced. It's also an inspiration with the strident 12 string sound where a single note has mighty presence and possibility.

The bridge is very well conceived and executed, every string can easily be set for intonation. It also has a Strat-type vibrato(!) which really works well. Astonishing.

A varitone switch replaces the Jazzmaster rhythm circuit. Very useful in the full down setting, which really thins out the strong pickups, lending an almost acoustic voice.

Also worthy of note is the easy first position playing offered by the zero fret and a Windsordave-endorsed 'Width-of-Dave' 50mm nut.

Don,

I had a belated chuckle at your very kind comment. Park that song on 'Younger Than Yesterday'? Really? Then I remembered 'Mind Gardens'...

What on earth was going on there? I'd take anything, anything in its place. A fantasy 'Younger Than Yesterday' fine cut running order has 'Lady Friend' in its place. And 'Triad', just for the frisson of excitement. Then we junk the lame recut of 'Why' and replace it with 'So You Say You Lost Your Baby' from the first Gene Clark album with the Gosdin Brothers- 'Echoes' and 'Is Yours Is Mine' also team up to fire 'CTA 102' back into space. Yes, let's put Gene back in the band.

Naturally, the reworked album closes with 'Don't Make Waves'. In this context a satirical counterpoint to the album's opener, 'So You Want To Be A Rock n Roll Star'- exactly the type of song which Hillman was lampooning, bookending the message and joyously reviving the early Byrds signature comic sign-off album closer.

If only Crosby had listened more closely to those lyrics instead of sulking beneath his Borsalino hat and not contributing to the song, his Byrds tenure may have been happier and longer. It's practically written for his benefit.

Anyone who can work Delahaye and Hispano Suiza into a rock'n'roll lyric is doing great in my book. That really sounds good Ade.

Register Sign in to join the conversation