Other Guitars

New old Telecaster day: 1960 blonde slab board!!!!

Even though I swim against the tide in that I am not much of a Tele guy (I do appreciate their tonal qualities, however), I certainly do appreciate the beauty of that guitar, Danman. The wear is honest and genuine and adds to the charm of the guitar.

So, being the ignorant guy on Teles, I had to inquire about the significance of the "slab board" name. The photograph of these two necks below (neither of which is a Tele, by the way) shows the difference between a slab board fingerboard and a round laminate. The slab board is on the left and the round laminate is on the right. Here is what I read about the slab board fretboard on a Fender forum, but with specific reference to a Strat neck (except for the dates, the concept holds true for a Tele, I would think):

Slab Board refers to the thickness of the rosewood slab that was put onto Strats when they went away from the one piece maple necks. The rosewood slab for the fingerboard was milled flat on the bottom and then glued onto the maple neck which was also milled flat to accept the rosewood fingerboard.

Sometime in 1962 they reduced the thickness of the rosewood "Slab" and then started to curve the bottom of the fingerboard to match the neck and over the course of 1962 the rosewood board became thinner...thus the earlier versions being called Slab Boards. (Again, ignore the dates as this description pertains to Stratocasters.)

Slab adds tone... just like extra mayo makes a sandwich taste better

Really powerjet? You sure about that?

SRV managers to get some pretty killer tones with a veneer board

Thanks guys! I'm still very happy with it. Rehearsed with it on Thursday and that was fun!

And thanks Bob, for posting the slab board info. I guess I could have made it more clear on a forum that for some strange reason focuses on Gretsches...... ; )

Well, the myth is that it adds tone. In my experience it's just a slightly different tone. But there are so many things that affect the tone that I have no idea what does what.....
I have played great Teles with maple necks, slab boards and veneer boards. But also Teles that didn't do much for me with all these necks. There are too many things in this equation for a tiny bit of Rosewood to really make a huge difference, IMO. But I like to think this guitar is much better than any other Tele out there.....

Frank,

Lovely guitar. Why did I think you owned/played a 1967 Telecaster?

Yours

Drew

– Drew Morrison

Because I did for a long long while, but right now it is a 1960 slab just like Danman's ... mine is featherweight too it weighs less than my 68 thinline did ...Danman's example is a light-medium weight I believe. I hope we get together sometime to compare them

I've been a fan of the Stones since high school, but I never dissected "gear."

I never ever liked the Telecaster shape. The sound, I was indifferent to it, and I did not have a keen enough ear to differentiate.

Over time, probably not until my early 40s that I became a huge K. Richards fan, then I learned to love the Telecaster.

I ended up buying a few!

Even though I am a maple neck man when it comes to single coils, the Tele featured in this topic is quite nice.

Addendum: I have not read all the pages of this topic. Has the "well-known previous owner" been revealed?

...------

I love teles, and I've always liked rosewood boards on 'em. I don't think it affects the sonics much, but I love the look and feel.

The wear on that one is just gorgeous. The pickups on that must be especially nice; somewhere in-between the rude bark of the early 50s ones and the glossy sheen of the mid-60s versions, I'm guessing. Steve Cropper comes to mind.

Register Sign in to join the conversation