Other Guitars

New old Telecaster day: 1960 blonde slab board!!!!

Congratulations! That is a beautiful guitar!

Superb.

You have done pretty well on the last two deals. First the 6121 and now this!

Firstly, I have no wish to Bogart Dan's thread. I sourced the '59 for a client, so it was in my possession for a few weeks for me to enjoy. Still the tiny frets issue but a fantastic guitar. Fortunately I still have access to it & used it as a reference for a build I did a while back.

Nice Danman – congratulations, it looks great.

Thanks everyone!

No worries Tony, there's no harm in seeing other nice old Teles here!

Oh man, how cool is that? You finding your dream guitar without really looking. Good on you for stepping up paying the $$$$$$ for something you really wanted and can enjoy at this time of your life. That guitar brings back memories for me I bought a mint with case in the early 60's just like yours from a guy at college in 1968 for $100. Sold it so I could by an engagement ring in 1970. Still have the girl 47 years later but I sometimes wonder where that Tele went. You have brought back some very nostalgic feelings, after all I could play Led Zeppelin tunes on that Tele and no one questioned it. :)

"Well used but not abused". That's the way Holy Grail Teles should be. Congrats

Thanks Baba!

Raye: Man those were different times..... $100.- for a mint slab board. Sorry to hear that you don't have it anymore... Well, it went to a good cause anyway!

Sweet guitar. Hope to play that thing in the not too distant future. In the meanwhile I get by just fine with it's younger sibling

Most recorded guitar in history is also a blonde slabboard...

Tele!

– Danman

OH that is sooooo cool (I love a good Tele)! Congrats!

You know, I'll bet that Curt could refinish that to look just like new.

Most recorded guitar in history is also a blonde slabboard...

– fws6

Still looked pretty good then. This is what it looked like some time later...

Sweet guitar. Hope to play that thing in the not too distant future. In the meanwhile I get by just fine with it's younger sibling

– Sjolte

Well, that one looks just fine... Why would you want to play mine?.... ; )
But yes, I hope so too. But also because that means that I'll be refretting soon. Deadlines help getting things done... ; )

You know, I'll bet that Curt could refinish that to look just like new.

– Don Birchett

This is one time that I am happy that there is an ocean between Curt and me...... ; )

Well, that one looks just fine... Why would you want to play mine?.... ; )
But yes, I hope so too. But also because that means that I'll be refretting soon. Deadlines help getting things done... ; )

– Danman

Well, I never played a slap board tele! My '69 is great... but it's not a pre-CBS slap board

Well, you know you're very welcome here! Just let me refret it first.... ; )

Great guitar Dan. Get those frets done and play it hard. We wouldn't want it to only be the best photographed Tele in history.

Thanks Adrian! I'll try to slap some frets on there as soon as possible.... You're right, it has to be played. Wel, It does get played because I can't put it down. But still some new frets would help....

Okay, not to get too hung up on the refret (too late anyway?), but given that guitar's apparent history as a well-used working guitar, I can't imagine those frets are original anyway, right?

And FWIW, I wouldn't give a second thought about refretting an unbound rosewood neck. I'm reluctant to do it on bound necks with nibs until I have to.

It's hard to beat a great Tele, and I'm sure this is up there with the best of them. Years ago I had a Custom Shop relic Nocaster, and that guitar really opened my eyes. I'd bet this one would peel my eyelids clean off.

Hi Afire,
Yes, I will refret it soon.. Once I get other work out of the way....

I am not sure if these frets are original or not. I have the feeling they are because they are different on each side. Fender frets were pushed in from the bass side. On the bass side they look normal but on the treble side it looks like the tang has been sharpened so they would slide in easier. I am trying to figure out if this is indeed the way they did it. Do you know? I'll post some pictures tomorrow. It's getting dark here and I am off to rehearsal. First one with my 'new' Tele....
But that won't stop me from refretting though.....

Fabulous guitar. Congratulations Sir!

Yours

Drew

Thank you kind sirs!

Danman cograts on a great instrument I hope you enjoy & keep it forever ! Here's mine !

– fws6

Frank,

Lovely guitar. Why did I think you owned/played a 1967 Telecaster?

Yours

Drew

Register Sign in to join the conversation