Other Guitars

New manic quest solves the problem of finding something to want.

I’m convinced that I’m inherently a brat, that’s the only logical conclusion I can come up with. The sense of fulfillment upon the arrival of “that ONE I don’t have, but always wanted/needed” was always so intoxicating. It was always followed by that blissful period of, “Ahhh, mine mine mine...”.............until.............

I CAN say that in the past year, there’s not been a single instance where I’ve seen a nice guitar for sale and haven’t thought, “Nah, don’ need it. Already have something that’ll do that.”. So happily, there’s been a definite point of got-a-specimen-of-everything-that-brings-me-satisfaction regarding the requisite physical equipment utilized in my chosen endeavors. (Apparently, an iPhone is all I need to go on about me me me, as we can plainly see here).

But to my point, there HAS recently been a re-emergence of a case of the ain’tgonnabehappyuntil-I-gets and it’s regarding the Eastwood Surfcaster 6/12 Doubleneck. I already have a fireglo(?) Surfcaster 6 that I really like. Ironically, I’d asked Eastwood about the possibility of them ever making a S-caster doubleneck about a year ago. “Buy 12 of ‘em and you got it.”, was their response.

Well dang it, now they DO sell one. And I waaaant one. I couldn’t picture needing a guitar any LESS than I need a 6/12 doubleneck...and yet...

I’m so ashamed.

Tim, I hope your bari brings you all the joy that you anticipate, and more.

Look what you made me do.

Last time I went Dano Hunting I found the blonde '59 Kay Barney Pro.

It's a shop demo, deeply discounted during the on-going Reverb 15% Sale!

It has that alternative Gretsch Universe thing going on...

Look what you made me do.

Last time I went Dano Hunting I found the blonde '59 Kay Barney Pro.

It's a shop demo, deeply discounted during the on-going Reverb 15% Sale!

It has that alternative Gretsch Universe thing going on...

– Twangmeisternyc

If those lipsticks through your CVR sound anything like my Surfcaster’s do through mine, then you’re a happy fella indeed. She’s right purtiful to boot.

If those lipsticks through your CVR sound anything like my Surfcaster’s do through mine, then you’re a happy fella indeed. She’s right purtiful to boot.

– tubwompus

Always wanted the right one...Flame Maple apparently sounds better.

Hopefully I'll be just as pleased with this "demo" model as I have been with others.

I had the CVR dialed-in with my StratPlus this afternoon for an hour.

With regards to all of the cool guitars shown & discussed in this thread:

1. I've already made known how I like Jaguars.

2. The Bass VI and baritone guitars are cool, but due to me only being able to use Ernie Ball Cobalt strings (yes, they really are made from a cobalt alloy) because of my nickel and stainless steel allergies, I'm out of luck - while you can get Cobalts for 7-string guitar, you can't get them for 6-string basses (including those that are like 5 string basses, with a 6th, even lower string, and Schecter's cool take on the Fender Bass VI - the Hellcat 6), or baritone guitars.

3. Danelectros are cool, and I've had a few over the years (including the Danelectro MOD7 - the only 7-string Danelectro made, which had a weird, and annoying mutiposition rotary switch pickup selector, for umpteen million pickup combinations [none of them intuitive on the selector] for its 3 pickups). Sadly, they've joined the "too thin of a neck" casualty list (though I guess I could cough up the cash for one of the 50s or 60s Danos).

Along with another acoustic dreadnought to replace my Taylor AD27 (after several years of playing Taylors, their necks turned out to be thinner than I like), I would like to get another 7-string. But, the only ones with at least Medium C thickness necks are Schecters made in 2011 and earlier, and a few odds and ends like my old Dano MOD7, the Squier Stratocaster VII, and the Squier Stagemaster 7. Unfortunately, all of the guitars mentioned, are getting hard to find. I'm especially kicking myself for getting rid of the Schecter Jazz 7s I had (which were only made in the year 2000).

This is the last one I owned

Five guitars might be unrealistically limiting.

i could conceivably do that. i would prefer not to, though. 1 acoustic, 3 electrics, and a bass. i did fine with 1 acoustic/2 electrics/no bass for a couple of decades. i don't know how i'd winnow down the electrics from the 12 or however many i have now...probably some kind of balance between utility and joy.

No no, you mean And then it would be ruined

Because of an extra single-coil’s worth of ... what, basswood? ... removed from under a pickguard? Can’t imagine that would make that much difference. I guess if I was being anally scrupulous about it (if there is such a thing), I could fill the original pickup rout. Conceivably with wood carefully cut to fit, but gosh. Concrete would be easier.

Well dang it, now they DO sell one. And I waaaant one. I couldn’t picture needing a guitar any LESS than I need a 6/12 doubleneck.

Full stop there, Sam. If your doubleneck romance goes like mine, the honeymoon will be more along the lines of taking a while to work out why you ever thought you’d get along with a 2-headed abomination in the first place...than being blissfully happy for a bit and then getting over it. I give it 5 months, tops.

If you’re really that et up with Eastwood Soifcasters, just get one of each. I’m pretty sure bed-hopping is the better way to manage a sister wives situation.

Flame Maple apparently sounds better.

Ah! The PRS approach. I’ll admit that lil Dano is quite handsome, but I wouldn’t have believed it if you’d just described it to me. Something about orange flamed maple on a Masonite guitar with vinyl tape around the rim would have seemed cognitively dissonant.

But now that I see it, OK. Maybe I’ll get one.

Lipstick on a pig? Nah...it'll fit right in with the rest of the herd.

Have you looked at the Airline Baritone Map? 27" scale.

Tim, I owned a Jaguar Baritone Custom. It was a well built guitar and sounded great, but I sold it because I was having transposition problems. I'm a poor player in standard tuning and the baritone tuning only exacerbated the issue.

I dipped my toe in the baritone waters again, but have come to the same conclusion. That's why I'm selling the PRS baritone.

Good luck.

This thread should be renamed the GAS enabler thread. Jus sayin'

Sayeth Proteus....

“Full stop there, Sam. If your doubleneck romance goes like mine, the honeymoon will be more along the lines of taking a while to work out why you ever thought you’d get along with a 2-headed abomination in the first place...than being blissfully happy for a bit and then getting over it. I give it 5 months, tops.

If you’re really that et up with Eastwood Soifcasters, just get one of each. I’m pretty sure bed-hopping is the better way to manage a sister wives situation.”

Bless ya for talking me off the ledge, Tim. Just like the only people who say gigging isn’t actual working are people who’ve never done it, I’m guessing the majority of people who want doublenecks have never had one.

Thank ya, sir.

I find myself, very often, satiated with all that I have currently. I cruise along, happily on my sunshine little way, then..... BAM!.... Something pops up on my radar that is new and exciting. It gnaws on me, I find myself watching YouTube demos in the middle of the night. I check on my annuity earnings, and I buy!

So far, I've been able to keep it somewhat under control, but I just dropped a grand on a Singular Sound Beat Buddy Drum Machine, an Aeros Loop Studio, and MIDI Maestro MIDI controller. I succomed to the GAS disease and had to have the full compliment to be satisfied. Lord help us!

Like I say, when you get what you want, you then find there's something you wanted more. I have a few things eatin' on me right now.

It's always easier to buy something than sell something!

Have you looked at the Airline Baritone Map? 27" scale.

I'm desperately aware of all Eastwood's bari offerings - Mike probably has more than any other vendor, and I have two of them. But I'm immune to this one: 27" is too short, the Airline map body has been irredeemably ugly since it emerged from some Valco designer's fever dream in the 60s, and I have no use either for humbuckers or for Eastwood's faux Airline singles that look like them.

I am considering succumbing to this Eastwood affiliate's bari, though. They're supposed to get 100 in Burgundy mist sometime in the fall. I'll see how I feel about it then.

When I was hot for the Dano Bari I saw the Map.

I like that one, too, and the Metallic Turquoise Green is just fine.

I remember Dylan playing a Map in the 70's. They are a bit weird but that never stopped you before...

Tim, I owned a Jaguar Baritone Custom. It was a well built guitar and sounded great, but I sold it because I was having transposition problems. I'm a poor player in standard tuning and the baritone tuning only exacerbated the issue.

Well dang! Why didn't you anticipate my future interest and let me know before you got rid of it? I just ignore the transposition issue.

Is your PRS the SE 777 model? What color? Do I need it? How much?

Bless ya for talking me off the ledge, Tim. Just like the only people who say gigging isn’t actual working are people who’ve never done it, I’m guessing the majority of people who want doublenecks have never had one.

Always glad to talk someone back from a plunge into pointless mediocrity, which is, alas, a major population center in Eastland.

I'll grant that the Surfcaster body is a thing of beauty, so I understand the attraction to it. (Looking at the Charvel I had for a couple of years was always the best part of owning it.) And, as two-headed monsters go, the Surfcaster's clean, very un-fussy lines lend themselves to one of the best-looking such beasts. But the compromises inherent in two-headedness outweigh (literally) any advantage - unless you once had a GIANT pop hit that required quick switches between those necks (of which there have been, let me count, uh, TWO in the history of history), and you were being forced into a late-career nostalgia tour, what's the pernt?

And I think I'd rather see a guy belly up to a guitar suspended on a silly stand (like Steve Howe) for the requisite exotic-color part of an epic than to lumber around in the embrace of an albatross. This analysis ignores the fact that multi-neckers are apparently at least superficially attractive, in the way of grotesque spectacle, to some substrates of a large pop audience - as proven in Rick Nielsen's reductions to maximal absurdity - but I don't have an audience with any substrate at all, and can be perfectly absurd without such a prop.

Anyway. Better to gaze lovingly on two Surfcasters, or gaze at one while playing the other, than to compromise the design by transgressions against nature. And does it come in black and gold?

On the other hand, I'm always happy to talk someone into leaping. In general, I want for people to do whatever they want, and give me credit!

I just dropped a grand on a Singular Sound Beat Buddy Drum Machine, an Aeros Loop Studio, and MIDI Maestro MIDI controller. I succomed to the GAS disease and had to have the full compliment to be satisfied.

Yeah man! You're all in on Singular's ecosystem. I applaud the thorough commitment. We'll need status reports from time to time.

Lord help us!

Don't you think we're a little beyond that? Better yet, is he helping us as we help ourselves?

Proteus, regarding post #18.

I think that it will be forever a personal loss to me that I never got to meet, nor talk to you in person. The fecundity of thought, fluidity and depth of insight, lightness of spirit, and plain old-fashioned good humor that comes across in virtually every thread you inhabit, continues to be one of the main reasons I keep returning to these hallowed virtual halls. Seriously pal, you're alright.

Now, as regards to the five instrument limit, I don't exactly know why such an arbitrary number holds such weight with me (something about the inherent stability and rightness of odd numbers). As for the type of instrument I'm talking about here, I'm talking about guitars of the standard six string variety only. Fortunately, I don't suffer over that lack of variety in my musical diet. That is to say, I've always been satisfied (at least on this count) with the more mainstream types of guitars, i.e. samples of the big three Gibson, Fender and of course - Gretsch. I've gone for years sometimes, not even owning an acoustic, although that little oversight is now rectified thanks to a Martin D18 (the post 2012 ones are incredible) which I picked up a couple of years back.

I've played Teles most of my working career, but have found, now that my band gigging years are winding down, that I really no longer have much use for one - arch-tops being the order of the day. Besides, I've recently rediscovered Strats as a main stage tool and will be keeping one for that purpose. So that leaves space for my Gibson Tal, my '59 CG, and my 335. I have a couple of other pieces which, while they are great instruments, simply don't get played enough - which BTW at least remains one of my main criteria for both building and maintaining my personal collection. Thanks to your great leadership and dexterity as an all out enabler, I've decided I may (by which I mean - I will) just sell/trade these UNITS (there I've used the u-word) on one more of my favorite pieces. IOW, I'll keep two of the same type, a condition almost unheard of for me. I'd reveal my choice here, but I'm afraid I may be stoned for lack of loyalty to our namesake brand.

Anyway, I've really been enjoying this thread and all the comments and pics posted here. Now, tell me again the real value (if any) of the 12 step program...I feel a misstep coming on...

Tim, I built this Tele in 2010 or so. It used a Blacktop Tele baritone neck at a 27" scale. Basically, it had one extra fret at the nut end, compared to a regular Tele neck. I tuned it C to C and it rocked. The body was a $30 GFS Paouwalinia featherweight thing.

I haven't bought a guitar for 10 years, and I sold my only electric three months ago and haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. 15 years ago, if you'd have told me that I would go 10 years with the one guitar, and three months without owning one at all, I'd have called you crazy. My GAS just disappeared after years of manic obsessing, buying and flipping.

Actually, my GAS turned into a different GAS - Gruen Acquisition Syndrome. My latest...

"Well dang! Why didn't you anticipate my future interest and let me know before you got rid of it? I just ignore the transposition issue.

Is your PRS the SE 777 model? What color? Do I need it? How much?"

Tim, the PRS is the Mike Mushok 277 model with a sunburst finish. The scale is 27.7", nut width is 1.75" and I had it set up B to B with SIT strings .013 to .056. It's offered for sale on ebay and Reverb for $700 USD plus actual FedEx shipping costs. I'll sell it to you for $650 plus shipping if you're interested. Here's a photo.

Prote is always evaluating/re-evaluating his guitar stance and outlook.

I guess I do also. All the stuff I have gone on and on about, losing beaucoup bucks usually, demented projects, etc., stuff done to perfection that truly no on else alive gives a damn about, etc.... there was always some idea that I got intensely curious about and just had to find out.

However I have no need for / interest in a bari even tho I think I do seeing vids like Edmunds twanging on an old Dano bari. Then for a moment, I do want a bari.

– DCBirdMan

The Master.

Register Sign in to join the conversation