Other Guitars

New Guitar Day

Nice pics! I love the option to top-load. Thanks for the info on the pickups as I knew these were slightly different than the V-Mond on the Professional series which had Alnico 5 for the 3 bass strings and Alnico 2 for the G, B and E.

It looks like this will be the one as I was seriously considering this one w/ custom shop '58s:

https://chucklevins.com/col...

Really missed having a Tele, so this one followed me home:

Fender American Professional 2

I will post more details and impressions after we get to spend a bit more quality time together.....but if looks could kill

– Gretschadelphia

if you like telecasters then I have a real treat to look at on my introduction thread .I can almost guaranty you haven't saw before

Nice pics! I love the option to top-load. Thanks for the info on the pickups as I knew these were slightly different than the V-Mond on the Professional series which had Alnico 5 for the 3 bass strings and Alnico 2 for the G, B and E.

It looks like this will be the one as I was seriously considering this one w/ custom shop '58s:

https://chucklevins.com/col...

– NJDevil

That looks really sweet. I looked at an American Pro w/ rosewood board and the rosewood was really nice and dark and rich looking.

if you like telecasters then I have a real treat to look at on my introduction thread .I can almost guaranty you haven't saw before

– jaredmacneill

Just took a look at that Walnut Telly of yours. Very impressive to say the least. Did you build that yourself?

Do you find any surprise with the tone? There seems to be so many quality options and none of them are gimmicks.....It really is like 3 or more guitars in 1.

I'm a little bit torn. I love the bluesy drip with "fullness" from the neck pickup with the maple fretboard but like rosewood better for the bridge selection. I'll probably end up getting all maple but these really are great guitars.

do you feel that the combination of different magnets works?

do you feel that the combination of different magnets works?

– macphisto

I'd like to hear Gretschadelphia's input on this. I don't have any playing time with it but I understand the intent is for greater balance.....provide more treble in the bassier strings and make the higher strings less bright but for a dynamic that still "pops", leaving note articulation for chord playing and character for soloing. These V-Mod 2 are in the American Pro II model while the American Pro is equipped with V Mod neck and bridge.

The reviews have varied but are less favorable amongst the pickups in the both American Pro & Pro II Stratocasters. The pickups are described by people Sweetwater, MF, GC, and some of the other big stores as being all around slightly hotter while some members in other forums will say they prefer the brighter '50s-era pickups. I would never generalize Teles with pickups from the '50s as "brighter......certainly not for pickups like the Custom Shop Nocaster '51 or Vintage '50s.....but '59s are a different story. I always thought of the pickups in '60s as the decade of Telecasters with "more spice".

I think the idea behind the different types of Alnico being used in the V Mods 2's helps balance out the tonal qualities of each pu. To my ears, I find that the bridge pu doesn't exhibit the spikey highs that can be common to Tele bridge pu's but they have been able to accomplish this without sacrificing any low end punch, clarity, or chime. How you like your Tele pu's is totally subjective of course. I tend to prefer the fatter, punchier "50's Broadcaster" style of Tele bridge pu's. I find that the V Mod 2's live in that range but still maintain enough of the cut and chime. So high marks IMO there. Regarding the neck pu (which in some cases can be the Tele Achilles Heal), I think they did a great job in creating one of the best sounding Tele neck pu's I've ever heard without resorting to creating basically a "Stratty" sounding neck pu (ala the Fender Twisted Tele neck pu's). Raised to the optimum height, the neck pu balances very well with the bridge pu volume wise. Tonally, it's not muddy (another Tele neck pu bugaboo) with plenty of singing high end and can do clean or dirty leads very well on its' own. The two pu's in combination yield some really nice fat twang and shimmer as opposed to super scooped Stratty quack. The parallel / series switch when in series mode, fattens up the middle position more into overwound Dyna middle position tone than humbucker territory to my ears (and my preference). The American Pro 2's also come standard with a treble bleed which comes in real handy if you like to crank your amp and turn down the pu volume and not lose high end. As you can probably tell, I like the tone and output of these new V Mod 2 pu's....but I also would have to think that the resonant lightweight roasted pine body and maple neck figure into that equation too. For a non-chambered soildbody guitar, the guitar is very loud and lively sounding when strummed unamplified. Amplified through my DeLisle Nickel Box, the guitar exhibits tons of sustain both clean and dirty. Next time, I will get into the fit/finish and playability of the guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation