Other Guitars

New Epiphone Swingsters look very Gretsch-y

so did the original version. the pickguard is perhaps a bridge too far, though.

They sound vaguely Gretsch-y too. It's like a hybrid of traditional Epiphone with some Gretsch spice thrown in.

The very name of the series suggests Epiphone doesn't really get what Gretsch is about. But with Gretsch going after GibEpiSonPhone - and given Gretsch's market success in the last decade - it's hardly a mystery that Epi would do what they can.

Not that invading other makers' traditional turf is anything new. Gibson's Fender attempts have been every bit as successful as Fender's Gibsons.

All I need for Epiphone to do ... is build Epiphones and junior Gibsons.

Likewise, all I need for Gretsch to do ... is build Gretschs.

I had one. They are nice affordable guitars. Based on epiphone emperor with a bigsby, The basic design is not really new to epi

The very name of the series suggests Epiphone doesn't really get what Gretsch is about. But with Gretsch going after GibEpiSonPhone - and given Gretsch's market success in the last decade - it's hardly a mystery that Epi would do what they can.

Not that invading other makers' traditional turf is anything new. Gibson's Fender attempts have been every bit as successful as Fender's Gibsons.

All I need for Epiphone to do ... is build Epiphones and junior Gibsons.

Likewise, all I need for Gretsch to do ... is build Gretschs.

– Proteus

Amen and Amen....

It's unfortunate that these Epi's look a lot like the Chinese Gretsch knock-offs we see surface now and then.

Digging that PURPLE Bad Cat behind them!

Is it just me who finds this kind of video annoying? Don't get me wrong, they're both great players, but the constant repeating each other's banal comments and incessant guffawing at their own inane 'jokes' gets tedious very quickly. It's like watching Beavis and Butthead without the smut.

I agree with the above; too Gretsch-like, but given the Players' Editions from Gretsch it's hardly surprising Gibson are playing copycat too.

Deke, yes, super annoying. Very irritating.

Just glancing at that Epiphone Swingster, I'd say it looks very Reverend Pete Anderson PA-1 Signature'y!

...------

Just glancing at that Epiphone Swingster, I'd say it looks very Reverend Pete Anderson PA-1 Signature'y!

...------

– indianation65

The Reverend Pete Anderson PA-1 Signature is based on his Epiphone Joe Pass. Cool spot.

I've never been impressed by Epiphone electrics I've picked up in stores. Les Pauls or any semi-hollow models. I'm usually attracted to the way they look, but disappointed with the feel.

The only exception was an Emperor Swingster I came across at a GC store. I thought for the money it played and sounded good. Not enough to buy it, but it was better than other Epiphones I've tried. I just prefer my Korean-made Electromatic.

Ya see,i have to like the look of a guitar,and well,i just don't like the look of these,body shape is not nice to these eyes.

Give me the old Peerless built Broadway everyday of the week.

Ya see,i have to like the look of a guitar,and well,i just don't like the look of these,body shape is not nice to these eyes.

Give me the old Peerless built Broadway everyday of the week.

– JCHiggy

Heres my Broadway transfered into a poor mans L5. SD staple pickups, barrel knobs, L5 tailpiece and a Gibson pickguard. Love the guitar.

That is gorgeous Andreas!

That's exactly what i want,makes ya wonder why they don't make these as a production model.I guess we're in the minority .

Register Sign in to join the conversation