Other Guitars

New 2018 Les Paul Junior

Picked up my new 2018 Gibson USA junior yesterday afternoon. Really nice playing guitar. Very resonant unplugged. Fat neck, offset bridge, proper sunburst finish with the opaque yellow, dark wine red back, step on the neck pocket at the cutaway, white button tuners. Really looks the part of a 50s junior. The cons...circuit board electronics, 40s Gibson logo. Someone at Gibson was sleep deprived and put a "Les Paul Special" logo on it instead of a "Junior" one. No big deal...I'm replacing the logos with period correct versions like I did in my 2017 Traditional. Going to replace the electronics to something more period correct. I can't stand shiny nickel so I aged the parts a bit. Added gold knobs and pointers (came with black knobs), and added an aged set of three on a plate tuners (came with singles- but they were white button at least). Makes me want to buy the SG Junior!

Cool! If I was honest with myself this is all the guitar I ever really need.

cool..get your leslie west on!!! nantucket sleighride!

ongrats & enjoy

cheers

These have been on my radar for a while. Circuit board, really? Looks great.

That is awesome!! Congrats. I got the 2018 classic goldtop, and wanted to add one of these but went with a 2018 50s Tele lacquer instead. I'm surprised it has the circuit board, the classics don't have that, youd figure the whole range would have similar electronics at this point

How did you age the nickel? I wanted to do the same thing on mine, its shiny as a mirror right now

A little swim in ferric chloride will age nickel. Just don't leave it too long or you will burn through to the copper plating. Less is more. I might have even gone more subtle if it did it again. Electronics stores should have it- it I'd also called circuit board etchant.

I'm replacing the guts with a 550K CTS volume pot and a 250K tone with a bumblebee cap. Then comes the new Gibson and "Les Paul Junior" logo. A little clear nitro, some wet sand and polish and I pretty much have the junior I always wanted. I might try one of the Electric City Pickup P90s. Anyone have any experience with these?

Rob

Very nice. Congrats on a fine guitar.

Here's my 1965 SG Junior.

and Check out Felix on the EB-1 bass. He had an original and a the reissue from 1969. Contrary to what some say, the EB-1 reissue was not because of Felix... it was out by a few months before Mountain broke out big starting at Woodstock.

Any off the grid '69/70 EB-1s, let me know.

Beautiful. Congrats. Billy Squier's guitar of choice at one time too.

We can't forget Johnny Thunders, greatest LP junior slinger in history

It's interesting that they would use a circuit board for such a simple setup. I would be tempted to make it analog too.

That looks very nice, congratulations! Can you post a pic of the circuit board electrics? I can’t (or refuse to) picture them.

Those 2018 Juniors are great looking guitars. They finally issued a pretty accurate “non-custom shop” Junior with the correct neck pocket, bridge and shading. The Billie Joe model was fairly close but had that slim neck and H90 stacked pickup.

I just don’t understand why they didn’t go ahead with the right knobs. And who thought that logo was the best way to go? I love the Junior sound and have a few including two 57s and a 59.

Gotta love the Juniors! I can't believe I never owned one sooner. My 57 .All these years trying to get a beefy sound out of my Teles and the Junior was the sound in my head after all!

Why is everyone so upset about the logo? Gretsch uses three different logos, fender uses a few different ones, but everyone flips when Gibson does it. I like the logo, they should have inlaid it in MOP.

Congrats Rob,such a cool geet that!

Gotta love the Juniors! I can't believe I never owned one sooner. My 57 .All these years trying to get a beefy sound out of my Teles and the Junior was the sound in my head after all!

– GaryE

Mother of GOD, that's beautiful. I've tried to get on with Jr's, but I need another pickup...or the 1 in a different place. I want to like them SO BAD, though.

I have something similar but with a humbucker on it. Nice, no-frills stage guitar.

Love all of the other folks juniors! I just dig the more traditional logos...plus Gibson for some reason put a "Les Paul Special" on mine. I ordered a harness and EP90-60s pickup from Electric City Pickups for it to replace the circuit board setups in there now.

Rob

Why is everyone so upset about the logo? Gretsch uses three different logos, fender uses a few different ones, but everyone flips when Gibson does it. I like the logo, they should have inlaid it in MOP.

– Chmason85

I don't think everyone "flips" over the logo but I would have thought Gibson was trying to make a Junior that looked like a 50s Junior. There were many 50s style Juniors built by Gibson since 1986 when it was reintroduced. If you're trying to make a Junior that looks like a 50s, why use a logo that wasn't like anything used in the 50s on Juniors? It's no different than going the extra mile to build an accurate and affordable 50s-style Junior and then deciding "let's put a pink headstock on it". Why do something like that? That's not what they looked like. ??? Personally, I think it was on purpose, believing that some people would pay the significant upcharge for a custom shop Junior that had more accuracy. Leave juuuuuust enough things inaccurate to turn some folks off. I also think that's why they built the 2010 Juniors like they did.

I dont mean people on the GDP are flipping, just in general ive noticed it on other forums. The way I see it, if you want the real "reissue," you gotta go CS, unfortunately. This is a 2018 model, so in 2068 people are gonna be lusting after the 2018 vintage with the different logo lol

I walked into my Luthier's shop to pick up my Strat that he had done some work on for me yesterday. On his Workbench was a 1958 Gibson LP Jr. original just like this. The owner was there as well and I asked if I could play it and he said "Sure".......wow, what a Guitar. We were all talking about the "sunburst" on the early ones and how Gibson did it, it almost looked like TV Yellow was used for the yellow because you can't really see the wood grain through it at all, it was also a bit heavier than I expected.

This is a picture of my 2011 SG Standard. I was surprised when I saw the circuit board. I rewired it when I replaced the pickups with a pair of Peter Florance/Voodoo '59's.

Congrats on the new Junior! The fat neck is good news, that seems to be what's missing from most other modern Juniors.

Register Sign in to join the conversation