Other Guitars

NBD — now 2 out of 4

For DORKS only.

Well time expand the ultra short scale collection of basses. I do enough that one isn't enoug -- like if there were damage or loss, I'd be stuck.

So enter #2 of the 4 ultra -- short scale basses I am aware of (not including those Modern World rubber string things, or the only new contender that matters, the Eastwood Pocket bass which they reissued at 26" scale from the original 24 3/4".

1) Of course is the coll 24 3/4" 1965 National Map bass -- the dramatic rescue detailed here last month.** 2) Seen here, the Mosrite Celebrity hollowbody bass at 25" scale. Needs setup and cleaning and missing bridge cover and original Duck Feet tuners. Original case but missing handle. Decent deal but not a giveaway

The others I know about

3) 24" scale Kay Value Leader -- just waiting for a good later era one when they got the adjustable neck rod. Kool maple neck! 4) Early Carvins @ 25,5 scale. These were Hofner necks!

** The Supro Pocket bass doesn't count as it is the same as the Map bass except for the body. Neck/electronics are the same.

Mosrite looks really cool. Got a nice little vibe to it !! Dunno how’d I’d go playing at 25” scale though. I’ve embraced 30” now, probably age related, although the P and the Ric still get played.

Why the fascination with “short” short scales, if you don’t mind me asking ??

Mosrite looks really cool. Got a nice little vibe to it !! Dunno how’d I’d go playing at 25” scale though. I’ve embraced 30” now, probably age related, although the P and the Ric still get played.

Why the fascination with “short” short scales, if you don’t mind me asking ??

– RustyG

Well when you (I) think of it, why does a bass neck have to be longer than a guitar neck? Of course upright bass necks were long for the big huge body. Then the P Bass set the standard scale at 34", with 32" 30" 28" all being stops along the way to 25".

The shorty guitars and basses were developed with kids in min. I have way short fingers, small hands -- when young nothing bothers you/gets in the way of anything.jjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjjj But being Old as Hell changes a lot.

For me it's just way more comfortable, and I can start to use my pinky finger and look cool like Paul McCartney using his 5th finger.

Only going to need two ultra shorties. So when the Value Leader happens, the Mosrite will go. But I am active in 2 bands and really need to 2 basses right now. Probably will pass on a Carvin unless it is a can't-pass-up-price.

I'm firmly in the 34" scale camp, but I have a friend of many decades who's just as firmly in the short-scale camp....except he's a bluegrass guy who plays a full-size stand-up bass, and hasn't taken his Hagstrom out in years.

BTW/FYI/YMMV-- The first time I tried on a standup bass was rather a rude shock. Playing one is a LOT of work, and we electric-bass- slingers have it easy!

I'm firmly in the 34" scale camp, but I have a friend of many decades who's just as firmly in the short-scale camp....except he's a bluegrass guy who plays a full-size stand-up bass, and hasn't taken his Hagstrom out in years.

BTW/FYI/YMMV-- The first time I tried on a standup bass was rather a rude shock. Playing one is a LOT of work, and we electric-bass- slingers have it easy!

– DaveH

Well I sold my upright this summer -- but it was a Kay M3 upright, a 1/4 size, so I was using the smallest one Kay ever made.

Mosrite now alll tweaked and setup w/ RotoSound .115 tapewounds.. .heaviest bass strings I know of.

I always wondered why guitar strings are always referred to by the highest string, 10's, 11's etc. but bass strings are referred to by lowest string, .110. .95's etc.

Such a cool bass. How’s it sounding?

– Tsar Nicholas

Nice and thumpy -- don't use the bridge pickup tho. Single neck pickup basses are it for me. Still for the semi acoustic /roots stuff I do, it will work. Still the Kay Value Leader bass is what I want for that scene. Just haven't seen any clean ones in a while altho they are far from rare.

Still for the more electric stuff I am invovled in that National Map bass w/ .110 flats is just right for what I want. 2 basses is enough

Great post! This is a very good blog that I will definitely come back to more times this year! Thanks for the article. among us 2

Register Sign in to join the conversation