Other Guitars

NBD! (New Banjo Day)

Greetings to all. Some time ago, a thread was started here about Epiphpone discontinuing several models - including the MB-250 banjo. That caught my attention.

Last summer, I had the chance to get my hands on an Epi MB-250 and I was truly impressed by its build quality and sound. I told myself... someday.

When I read that this model was going to be discontinued, I knew that I needed to act. I called my local store, and was able to secure a great deal on the banjo, gator case, cradle strap and a few sets of strings. I had to wait a few months for it to arrive, but it was well worth it. This is a great instrument.

My first banjo was an Epi MB-200 ( a bottle cap style instrument), and I am floored by the difference that a true tone ring makes on a banjo - not to mention the weight! The MB-250 is crazy-heavy when compared to the MB-200.

I am really diggin' the pickin'. I just wanted to share my news. Here are some pics...

Dylan

she is beautiful. im kinda wanting to get one but i just cant seem to go for it. congrats

Sweet Banjo, Dylan.

Congratulations

Ok, let's get some clips up, Dylan. ;-)

– Deed Eddy

– Deed Eddy

Deed, I like you guys too much to cause any of you that kind of pain! I could use a few years to practice!

Dylan

I got this at a yard sale for $1.00

You seem much happier than I do about getting a banjo!

Dylan...I too have an Epi banjo. Mine says "Mastertone" on the fretboard but otherwise looks very similar. Enjoy!

I'm getting strings and selling it. Thanks for your prayers, Richard!

Dylan,

Here is a pretty good collection of banjo jokes.

Might help to thicken your skin while you go through that year of practice. ;-)

Thanks JW. I read some of those jokes, and they are great so far.

Dylan

These models are worth seeking out before they get rare. I think Epi is abandoning these instruments at the wrong time and Gretsch getting back into this business at the right time.

I'm a simple open back guy at heart, but congrats on a nice banjo!

These models are worth seeking out before they get rare. I think Epi is abandoning these instruments at the wrong time and Gretsch getting back into this business at the right time.

– Fieldhdj

– fieldhdj

I totally agree. Also, I can't wait to get my hands on the Gretsch Roots Collection.

Dylan

So this banjo player is on his way to a gig and stops for breakfast. While eating, he realizes that his banjo is in plain view under the hatchback of his car. He gets up...rushes back to the car to find the rear window smashed.....and two banjos inside!

I love three finger bluegrass banjo...I'm not good at it...but it's a great sound.

Register Sign in to join the conversation