Vintage Gretsch Guitars

Caddy Green Jet near me on craigslist

Is that a replaced fingerboard?

The color definitely looks off

The price is high, especially compared to other 1957 model year Jets. But I wouldn't say it's "outrageous". These Caddy green Jets have long been coveted by collectors, and as the listing mentions, precious few were produced. I bet he gets that asking price.

Interesting. I didn't realize they were that much rarer. Are they rarer than penguins? Do you have any thoughts on the condition or possibly replaced fretboard.

What makes you think that the fretboard has been replaced? Haven't Jets with Dynasonics typically had rosewood fretboards, rather than ebony?

Sometimes pawnshops are even higher $ than vintage dealers.

What makes you think that the fretboard has been replaced? Haven't Jets with Dynasonics typically had rosewood fretboards, rather than ebony?

– Ric12string

I'm not sure, but if I were spending $11k on an instrument I would want to make sure of the minutiae. The rosewood looks extremely light in color, but perhaps it is a trick of the light/camera.

Interesting. I didn't realize they were that much rarer. Are they rarer than penguins? Do you have any thoughts on the condition or possibly replaced fretboard.

– Otter

No... cad green Jets are not more uncommon than White Penguin's... but then again the seller isn't asking $50k either. They are less common than '53 Scritpy Jets which can fetch in the $7-8k range.

If we had the serial number I could compare other examples from the same batch in close proximity to this one. The fretboard looks more highly figured than what we have seen, but perhaps it's just freshly oiled.

One thing that is fishy about this one is that the back and sides should be painted black (like Jet Firebirds were).

The back /sides are likely refinished. They patina is not correct. The B string tuner area has a major chip and the gold spacer rings around the tuners are out of place. Probably had schallers at one point.

Is it cool --Hell yeah. But this one has a few issues. As Ed said it should be black on the back/sides. Its had some work. The plates are all mounted inside out as well (obviously).

Ed, when did the jet head stocks go from brown to black?

That's just a flatsawn Brazilian fingerboard. Sometimes they are that color--looks like a legit board to me. What makes it look weird is that the binding is missing.

If the back has been refinished, what's to say the front hasn't?

That's just a flatsawn Brazilian fingerboard. Sometimes they are that color--looks like a legit board to me. What makes it look weird is that the binding is missing.

– riz

The neck appears bound to me. Look at the first photo, blown up in size a bit, and look at the treble side of the neck.

Ha, that's the photo I based my assertion on! Hard to tell conclusively, that's for certain.

Ed, when did the jet head stocks go from brown to black?

– NJBob

I think that's just the lighting. Look at the (black) truss rod cover... the headstock overlay seems slightly more brown.

Looks to be refretted, so I bet the fingerboard was sanded a bit in the process, which explains the color. That's not really a negative to me, but it's unclear how much other work has gone on.

The color of the top is lighter than mine, although there are some Caddy green Country Gentlemen that are more like this color. Also I don't have mine in front of me, but I think the back panels are black and not cream. Does that make it possible that this one is not refinished on the back?

I haven't seen another one of these sell since mine. I know I'd be hard pressed to let it go for much less. Not as rare as a Penguin, but not far off!

The back panels are just inverted revealing the cream laminate, my 6121 was like this when I got it. All I can figure is they might have started to shrink and cup a bit, and the owners just flipped them to counteract it. Anybody get a serial number yet? My gut feeling is it's legit, but has had some work done.

I'd love to go check it out this weekend, but without being a serious buyer I doubt the storekeep is going to let me anywhere near it.

I might go check this out today. Anything I should keep an eye out for?

Ask about the serial number... it's most likely from one of two known batches. So as you "authenticate" the finish, it's a reasonable question to ask. Please confirm the question of the binding... is it all there? Look for screw holes in the lower bass-side bout (edge) that might indicate an arm rest was installed at some point. Some Caddy green Jets got them, but not all. Thanks for any recon you can do!

Serial number is 26256 and the rim and inside of the cavity is black, suggesting a refin. The binding is there but it is very thin so I can see why it doesn't show up in the photos. No holes for an armrest. Some different tuners were installed at one point but it has open back style now. It was missing a pick guard screw and the rear strap button. One of the pots was dual-gang, not sure if that was appropriate. If the electronics aren't original they are definitely old. The cavity covers were white on both sides.

The seller had a few pages from your book describing caddy green jets photocopied in the case. He was very friendly and happy to chat about his vintage collection. Despite his ad claiming 100% original I think he'd be willing to negotiate his price.

Pictures incoming!

Not the best pictures, sorry. I didn't have a lot of time with it.

Something odd about how the markers are inlaid.

Register Sign in to join the conversation