Other Guitars

NAGD

Finally settled on a Taylor 322e 12-fret instead of a parlour. Sounds more like the real thing.

Finally settled on a Taylor 322e 12-fret instead of a parlour. Sounds more like the real thing.

– GG

I've been looking at the 12 fret Taylor GC models myself. Very nice.

Congrats, that's a very nice-looking guitar.

What other instruments did you compare it to, before settling on this one?

edit . . . just found a really nice review of your new instrument:

Nice!! Taylor makes great guitars IMO. I have a Taylor GS Mini Koa, and it gets serious amounts of playing time. Congrats & have fun with your new Taylor.

I guess I could research myself, but I'll ask here...

What is the difference in a 12-fret and a parlor guitar?

...------

A beauty.

Would this be a good guitar for a 10 year old to learn on? Or would he be better off with a 3/4 or parlor size?

I guess I could research myself, but I'll ask here...

What is the difference in a 12-fret and a parlor guitar?

...------

– indianation65

Both are small, but a parlor is the smallest, meant only for home use as they weren't very loud. They go back to the ties when people had to make their own music---in the parlor---early in the 20th Century before electricity changed everything. People had pianos, violins, mandolins and such and entertained themselves. Records and their layers were expensive toys early on. You didn't need large, loud instruments at home. The Gretsch Jim Dandy and Way Out West series are great examples of the parlor guitar.

Strummerson, I'd think that a parlor guitar would be perfect for a ten year old to learn on. Their hands will develop muscle memory with a normal sized fretboard, and the guitar won't be too large to wield. It'll be less of a toy.

@ Strummerson:

This Taylor has a 1.75-inch nut width, & 24.875-inch scale.

IMO a 3/4 size instrument would be better-suited to a 10 year-old, unless he/she was big for their age. I think that 3/4-size guitars usually have a shorter scale (23 inch, more or less?) that might be friendlier to small hands.

My Stella Harmony 1969 is a 12 fret, or 3/4 guitar, and not a parlor. I just got one a month ago that had a pickup installed. It's fun, and sounds pretty good for an old cataloge guitar! Thanks...

I read a while back that "parlors" were made for women. That must have been an exaggeration, sort of like "capos are for girls"!

...good stuff!

Congrats, that's a very nice-looking guitar.

What other instruments did you compare it to, before settling on this one?

edit . . . just found a really nice review of your new instrument:

– geoguy

Thanks. I've tried parlour or small guitars from Art et Lutherie, Fender, Gretsch, Crafter (TA050), Taylor (GS mini) and Larrivée (P01 ISS). Can't remember all the model numbers. Of all these, I preferred the Larrivée. However, as a classical guitar player, I am more confortable with the 322e somewhat larger body.

A beauty.

Would this be a good guitar for a 10 year old to learn on? Or would he be better off with a 3/4 or parlor size?

– Strummerson

For a 10 year old kid, a 3/4 nylon string guitar would be preferable. Event the 322e is too stiff IMO. A parlour guitar is not necessarily a short scale guitar, so some are just as hard to play as full scale models. In any case, make sure that the setup is right, as some cheap guitars intended for kids are just horribly setup.

Thank you all for the comments.

Register Sign in to join the conversation