Other Guitars

my update

Well it doesn't look any different but what an actual difference is made by cleaning/full setup, better tuners and bridge. This MM 3/4 which is My New Reality plays so much better than before.

At least for me that stock pickup doesn't sound that bad-- chords w/ tone rolled off a little, then solos with tone rolloff gone. Sound better than Strat bridge pickup flying solo.

Next step is the Duncan MM bucker --gotta find one tho. With this, since I don't want to drill the guard, is dispense w/ tone control and have the coil tap switch placed there. Or mabye there is a pull pot option.

Rock monster! Lovely and congrats!

I would definitely keep the tone control. Plenty of switching pots available to do the coil tap.

Something you might consider, as I have on my Esquire with splittable bridge pickup, is to wire the coil switch for series/parallel rather than double/single. This keeps the hum cancelling in both positions, but still gives you two distinctly different sounds (one thick and one thin), with less of a volume change than you'd get with coil-tapping, IME. I quite like it.

Well I just ordered this Duncan... it's a build, no one stocks them, none for sale I can find. Takes 6 weeks right now -- I expected 4 at least.

http://customshop.seymourdu...

A pull pot could do the trick for the coil tap. And if there is a way as you suggest to keep no single coil buzz when it's in that mode -- that is worth investigating.

Then the next big frenzy is when last year's stuff is sold off (9 strings/Fender mutants) troll for a nice single cut MM 3/4 cause it sure appears that they had somewhat wider necks.

Never thought I would be back in the vintage scene, but it's working for me now.

I would definitely keep the tone control. Plenty of switching pots available to do the coil tap.

Something you might consider, as I have on my Esquire with splittable bridge pickup, is to wire the coil switch for series/parallel rather than double/single. This keeps the hum cancelling in both positions, but still gives you two distinctly different sounds (one thick and one thin), with less of a volume change than you'd get with coil-tapping, IME. I quite like it.

– Otter

I had a Seymore Duncan stacked humbucker in the bridge position of a Strat, wired for series/parallel through a mini toggle switch. It worked out quite well, I gave that guitar to my nephew, and he's still rocking with it.

Man you have got it bad. That is cool though.

Register Sign in to join the conversation