Other Guitars

My TK SMITH equipped parts caster tele

Still trying to get the hang of inserting images on this forum.

Beautiful. Is that a DecoBoom guard on the red one?

Yes sir. He custom made it to fit the TK Smith CCii pickup. VERY happy with it.

lets see if I can get this other pic to post

I added the vintage Indian decal on the back to counter balance the cowboy on the front.

I'd REALLY like to buy a 50s MIM tele in Blonde and have TK trick it out! Maybe someday!

What if any difference/preference to the B5 vs B16 Bigsbys on your teles? I've been pondering adding one to my tele. Killer guitars by the way.

What if any difference/preference to the B5 vs B16 Bigsbys on your teles? I've been pondering adding one to my tele. Killer guitars by the way.

– LarryR

Larry,

The B16 feels a lot more like a Gretsch because it has no tension bar, but there are a lot of different tele body specs out there and a lot of them have the bridge pickup in a slightly different location than what the B16 wants.

To get my B5 to work for me, I ended up dremeling off the back of the bridge plate, using Rutters saddles with his chrome plating (which he recommends for Bigsbsys), a slight neck shim to get the angle I needed for downward pressure, Tomastik Infeld flat wounds (12s) as well as a Bricks Biggsfix tension roller and super squishy spring. Otherwise when i was fingerpicking I would pluck the high e out of the groove in the saddle. Once I settled on all of the above, I think it feels remarkably close to the B16.

B16 gets my vote for cool guy factor, though. They just LOOK so cool.

The Bricks Biggsfix tension roller and super squishy spring are mandatory for a B5 IMHO.

Mike

Very nice Teles. Makes me wish I hadn't pawned my '74 all those years ago. Guess I'll need to get another one day. Yours just gives me so many ideas.

I'd REALLY like to buy a 50s MIM tele in Blonde and have TK trick it out! Maybe someday!

– Mark Nason

Those look fantastique!! you know I'm a fan boy :)

Btw.. at Mark Nason TK Smith doesnt do that stuff anymore sadly. Because.... He's focused on his custom guitar builds. He still sells pickups, vibratos, pkguards,etc but you is on your ownz with installations. :)

I'm about to build another monstrosity, the bully-bro

Larry,

The B16 feels a lot more like a Gretsch because it has no tension bar, but there are a lot of different tele body specs out there and a lot of them have the bridge pickup in a slightly different location than what the B16 wants.

To get my B5 to work for me, I ended up dremeling off the back of the bridge plate, using Rutters saddles with his chrome plating (which he recommends for Bigsbsys), a slight neck shim to get the angle I needed for downward pressure, Tomastik Infeld flat wounds (12s) as well as a Bricks Biggsfix tension roller and super squishy spring. Otherwise when i was fingerpicking I would pluck the high e out of the groove in the saddle. Once I settled on all of the above, I think it feels remarkably close to the B16.

B16 gets my vote for cool guy factor, though. They just LOOK so cool.

The Bricks Biggsfix tension roller and super squishy spring are mandatory for a B5 IMHO.

Mike

– michaelsegui

They (B-5 and B-16) will feel exactly like a B-6 if you cut them down and take them to the back of the body.

Those look fantastique!! you know I'm a fan boy :)

Btw.. at Mark Nason TK Smith doesnt do that stuff anymore sadly. Because.... He's focused on his custom guitar builds. He still sells pickups, vibratos, pkguards,etc but you is on your ownz with installations. :)

I'm about to build another monstrosity, the bully-bro

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

Luckily I’d probably just want a guard, arm rest, & maybe one of his neck pickups, so I’d be comfortable doing the rest myself!

And I’ve been watching the updates on your Bo!

Tavo, do you know how many pics of your guitars I have saved on my phone!?!? LOL

Can’t wait to see the Billy Bo completed

Mike

Beauties! Wish I was a tele guy; they are soooo cool.

Bully bro....looking forward to seeing the finished guitar Tavo

They (B-5 and B-16) will feel exactly like a B-6 if you cut them down and take them to the back of the body.

– THE NOCTURNE BRAIN™

I really like the one on the right, and the chopped bridges are a great idea.

Is that body the Rutters Jet shape?

How do the CCii and CAR neck pickups compare tone-wise?

How do the CCii and CAR neck pickups compare tone-wise?

– Strummerson

I need to give them a proper A/B. Both are very warm and round. I think the CC is a bit more open sounding.

The red one with the CC is mine and is my favourite tele I have ever played. It would take an awful lot to convince me to ever sell or trade it.

Register Sign in to join the conversation