Other Guitars

My Telecaster build

I have always wanted a Telecaster. Never had one. Thanks to Otter I have a Tele body and I got a neck from Powdog.

Thanks guys!!

The parts fit almost perfect. A slight problem with access to truss rod adjustment but if everything else lines up I'll deal with it. The neck is beautiful!

This project will take a few months so be patient and keep in mind that this is my first ever guitar build.

The only thing I'm sure of with this build is that I want an ash tray cover. Not sure which pups are going in it. I want it to be a different sounding Tele. I might even try a Gretschbucker. Color will be either a satin Marine green or a satin Ox blood. The finish may not be the best as I promised my 3 year old daughter she could help. I guess that makes it better.

I may have to out source the electronics. I can be stupid with that stuff.

Well they are a kit-guitar if there ever was one. Good luck with the project.

Hey UG- Looking forward to seeing this come together!

When you say " A slight problem with access to truss rod adjustment", does the neck have a vintage style 'heel adjustment' only? Not sure how familiar you are with Fender heel adjustments, but it's not uncommon to have to unscrew the neck from the body to get access. Feel free to post pictures of what you are dealing with.

The only thing I'm sure of with this build is that I want an ash tray cover. Not sure which pups are going in it. I want it to be a different sounding Tele. I might even try a Gretschbucker. Color will be either a satin Marine green or a satin Ox blood. The finish may not be the best as I promised my 3 year old daughter she could help. I guess that makes it better.

– UncleGrumpy

Why a different sounding tele when tele sound is the big part of being a tele? It's your baby, but I suggest starting with tele pups and then mod later. One mod I highly recommend is a 4 way switch that enables individual and series or parallel pairing. The series pairing gives it a fatness that I love on mine.

Plus one to what NJBob said. Teles aren’t my favorite, but if I ever got one, his logic makes sense to me. Congrats and good luck.

No biggie re truss rod adjustment. The truss rod adjustment should be at the neck heel. There's no need to remove the neck for adjustment. Just put a route in the body between the heel and neck pu route and you'll be able to access the rod by just removing the pickguard. That's how it is on just about every Tele with a heel adjust rod that ever had the name Fender on it. If you want to see what it looks like, I'll snap a picture of my Tele w/o the guard and post it when I get a chance.

No biggie re truss rod adjustment. The truss rod adjustment should be at the neck heel. There's no need to remove the neck for adjustment. Just put a route in the body between the heel and neck pu route and you'll be able to access the rod by just removing the pickguard. That's how it is on just about every Tele with a heel adjust rod that ever had the name Fender on it. If you want to see what it looks like, I'll snap a picture of my Tele w/o the guard and post it when I get a chance.

– Gretschadelphia

Yep, that's what I did on my partscaster. Take off the guard and adjust away

I love Telecasters. If you come full circle and need some Tele pickups, let me know.

Why a different sounding tele when tele sound is the big part of being a tele? It's your baby, but I suggest starting with tele pups and then mod later. One mod I highly recommend is a 4 way switch that enables individual and series or parallel pairing. The series pairing gives it a fatness that I love on mine.

– NJBob

Have to agree. I experimented with all sorts of pup combos on my original partscaster.

Loved how the guitar played, but I was always chasing a tone that I didn't have until I tried the craziest combination of pups........a pair of single coil "early 50's" type copies.

Best of luck Grumps, these builds are a whole lot of fun.

Definitely keep us in the loop on this. Sometime in the uncertain future (money and projects I'm working on and need to finish) I hope to build an ES335-style guitar using one of Stew-Mac's kits. And regardless of outcome, it's always better when our kids help(in my case, the grandkids)!

– Gretschadelphia

That was my plan. As far as pups go I reckon I'll try a few before I decide but a Tele should sound like a Tele. I would love it if someone could post a pic of the wiring.

Standard three position Tele. The pots are 250K and the cap is usually a .05uF.

– UncleGrumpy

Ash tray, yeah! We're in the minority there but, cosmetically and functionally as a hand rest for finger-picking, that completes a Tele as it was originally intended to me.

Inspirational photo:

Groovy! I agree about routing a hole for the truss rod and I also agree that you should try to keep it tele-ish, aka single coils but heck, it's your guitar, do what you want.

Great project guitar UncleGrumpy, I'm thinking of getting a Tele myself. I've somehow neglected to own one, and I've been itching for one lately. Your post is inspiring me to consider making a partscaster Tele myself. Please follow up with your progress, I'm sure we'd all love to see how it turns out!

Keep us updated on the Build.

And remember , Blondes have more Fun,Im just saying.

Hi all Here's my build. 1968 Supertron in the neck position, custom Oil City bridge pickup (hot). Have fun Uncle G, it's a nice project. For what it's worth, I'd recommend brass saddles.

That's a perfect configuration, Joss. Tele neck pickups, while typically pure and clear, always seem to me to lack identity; it takes mixing them with the bridge for the guitar to take on the familiar Tele character.

A 'tron of any sort at the neck (but not at the bridge) ought to cure the neck pickup anodyne blues.

I'd probably have a Bigsby on a Tele build, though.

Also, it's good to see you 'round the ranch!

Hey, thanks Tim!

I lurk around but have been traveling so much that it's been hard to contribute anything. And I've been suffering from tendonitis, like you, since last March - it's on the mend though, but drove me crazy. Played a 2-song set last week as part of a big work fest, happy to have taken the old Annie out.

Regarding the Tele, yes, Bigsby maybe. I'm still wondering if I should do anything finish-wise. I initially thought about a satin light grey stain, to go with a tortoiseshell pickguard?

Hope you're doing fine, buddy.

Register Sign in to join the conversation