Other Guitars

Musicmasters and Duo Sonics

Do single pickup Musicmasters have the 2nd pickup rout? Are bodies exactly the same?

A guy on Offset Guitars says this:

When Musicmasters and DuoSonics were being made concurrently, they used the two-pickup bodies for both (we're talking mid- to late-60s and even into the very early 70s) and just popped the appropriate pickguard on top to distinguish the models. But the DuoSonic was discontinued in the late 60s so once their supply of dual-pickup routed bodies were used, they started doing these bodies with just the neck pickup for Musicmasters. Of course they were also making a one-pickup cutout in the bridge position for Broncos but those also had a larger cutout for the countersunk bridge/trem unit. So by the mid-70s I'd say the one in your photograph will just have the single neck pickup rout.

About a year after then (from '77) they switched out the pickguard and chrome control plate layout for the single pickguard which was used until they discontinued them in the late 70s/very early 80s.

Do single pickup Musicmasters have the 2nd pickup rout? Are bodies exactly the same?

– DCBirdMan

I can't say with any degree of certainty for all of them, but I have a '63 that has the second route. I discovered that when I replaced the original pickguard and electronics with some upgrades. Until I removed the old warped pickguard I had no idea the second route was there.

A guy on Offset Guitars says this:

When Musicmasters and DuoSonics were being made concurrently, they used the two-pickup bodies for both (we're talking mid- to late-60s and even into the very early 70s) and just popped the appropriate pickguard on top to distinguish the models. But the DuoSonic was discontinued in the late 60s so once their supply of dual-pickup routed bodies were used, they started doing these bodies with just the neck pickup for Musicmasters. Of course they were also making a one-pickup cutout in the bridge position for Broncos but those also had a larger cutout for the countersunk bridge/trem unit. So by the mid-70s I'd say the one in your photograph will just have the single neck pickup rout.

About a year after then (from '77) they switched out the pickguard and chrome control plate layout for the single pickguard which was used until they discontinued them in the late 70s/very early 80s.

– Bob Howard

Thanks for sharing that, Bob Howard. We must have been typing at the same time, when I first read the post that was all I could see, otherwise I wouldn't have given that answer. That explanation makes perfect sense, and would definitely be in accordance with smart production practices.

Yes but weren't M-M and D-S made concurrently or or almost from 1956? My guess was the 2nd rout was always there. One the new ones the routs are big enough for buckers.

Yes,the bodies were the same-just as Esquires and Telecasters both had the neck pickup route. Leo wouldn't have missed that opportunity to economize!

My 59’ music master was routed for both.

– Hollerbody

so is my '60, two routes for sure. Although it only has one pickup it is the best sounding Fender neck pickup I've ever had (of quite a few Fenders), I think it just mates up well with the short scale. Here it is...

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

– Hollerbody

so is my '60, two routes for sure. Although it only has one pickup it is the best sounding Fender neck pickup I've ever had (of quite a few Fenders), I think it just mates up well with the short scale. Here it is...

https://soundcloud.com/dani...

Register Sign in to join the conversation