Other Guitars

Mosrite Copy Bt Exacto (Teisco) Alert

On Reverb is a Mosrite copy if any of you are interested. I bought a Morales Mosrite from Japan and love it. I think this Exacto is along those lines. Sadly the Mosrite like bridge assembly looks to have been replaced by a Bigsby like unit. I love Bigsby but Mosrite style assemblies give that bell like ring that others don't.

Just alerting you all because for about $750 shipped you can get some amazing Japanese Mosrite stle guitars. Mine was $611 shipped and worth every bit of what I paid.

Here is one on YouTube

How much like a Mosrite do they really sound like?

I thought I'd be close with Univox Hi-Flyers, then a Dillion, and was wrong on both counts, even though the guitars were fine. I now have a couple of Mosrites and they have very distinctive tonal qualities, especially from the guitars that were supposedly paying tribute to them in the first place.

Hey crowbone, have you ever tried the Hallmark? If so, what was your take?

crowbone, before I actually liked Mosrites I bought a Dillion. I never owned or plated a Mosrite before that but I could tell from Ventures tunes that the Dillion didn't sound like a Mosrite although sounded good in it's own way.

The Morales to my ears sound like a Mosrite even with the stock pickups but maybe not exactly but close. I had some Mosrite pickups from eBay I was gonna put in the Dillion but sold the Dillion to a friend. I lost those pickups but would love to have them to put in the Morales to get even closer in sound. Maybe the Morales is about 80% there in tone with the stock pickups.

Here is a Morales Mosrite. German guitarist Ralf from The Kilueas is selling, well sold this one. What do you guys think?

That 80% is a whole lot closer than the Univoxes were, but at this point they(Hi-Flyers) stand on their own as killer rock guitars. Good luck in your search for that tone.

General, I haven't played a Hallmark or an Eastwood yet, but would like to give them a whirl at some point.

crowbone, are your Mosrites Filmore made or another recently made or are yours vintage?

I think it's not just the pickups but the trem on the Mosrites have a lot to do with it.

I'd like to try some of those Hallmarks. I like they make a Mosrite II style, not just the Ramones nut the one with the trem as well. A Mosrite Mark V in red would be the end all for me.

Hey crowbone, have you ever tried the Hallmark? If so, what was your take?

– General_Lee

General, the Hallmark 60s Customs can go for about $800. I like the American and Buck Owens inspired one here. Sold already but $800 with free shipping. I think new about $1,000 or something. Nice guitar for the price. Just checked and the red/white/blue sparkle is about $100 more. Not bad. Even though the bridge/trem is not an exact copy I figure it's designed very similar and probably gives you the magical ringing tone that Mosrites give you.

https://reverb.com/item/182...

The black Mark 1 is a 1967

The Joe Maphis Model 1 is a 1966

I really dig the blue ones they have. Just awesome guitars. I did find out the hard way last night though...even the lightest touch on that trem arm throws the strings all out of tune.

I think Andrew Staff had one of those Buck Owens Hallmarks for sale not too long ago on this site.

I think Andrew Staff had one of those Buck Owens Hallmarks for sale not too long ago on this site.

– crowbone

He did indeed. I was very tempted, but was not sold on the color scheme.

Still, I may spring for either a candy blue or candy red one at some point...

The Hallmark's seem to be held in pretty high regard by Mosrite enthusiasts. I really like the Deke model but apparently it's not in production currently.

Still, I may spring for either a candy blue or candy red one at some point...

– General_Lee

Agreed. General, I love Mosrites (copies as well like the Hallmarks) in CAR or CAB. Great colors for those guitars. When you get your Hallmark eventually do a thread on it. I want to hear about it and see the pictures.

Here is a guy playing a clone in CAR. Looks great. His bridge assembly is that of a Bigsby. This bridge takes away from the Mosrite magic but neverteless he has a nice guitar.

I have a Hi-Flyer that needs a paint job, and I'm thinking a muted yellow would look great with a matching headstock.

I have a Hi-Flyer that needs a paint job, and I'm thinking a muted yellow would look great with a matching headstock.

– crowbone

Is it vintage or a reissue/repro?

What is muted yellow? "vintage White"? Someting like this?

Is it vintage or a reissue/repro?

What is muted yellow? "vintage White"? Someting like this?

– ThePolecats

That's pretty much where I want it to be, not a blinding canary yellow.

That's pretty much where I want it to be, not a blinding canary yellow.

– crowbone

A good shade too.

Before I had any Mosrites.

Nice crowbone. Mie was CAR. The blue looks great. Nice Hi-Flyers

Register Sign in to join the conversation