Other Guitars

Modern travel and my M75T

Wow... that was a voyage.

For those thinking about traveling with a guitar, this is what it looked like:

First, the American Airlines women--the check in now is generally painful as hell. You have to run your passport through the machines yourself and half of the machines don't work. Then you have to print your luggage tags, and nobody understands how. Total bog of confused people. The AA ladies saw my guitar, could not really be bothered, and when I told them it's my carry on together with my daughter, they just shrugged and said it would be okay.

Then the TSA in Dallas. Holy moly--what on earth is going on in the US now? There were--get this--TWO guys to deal with about 300 people. Everything went through one guy, who was quite helpful, but talk about a bottleneck. We got to the airport very early, and if we had not, we would have missed our flight. Anyway, the young guy didn't give a flip about the guitar. The old guy started to ask questions, but I pointed out that on the TSA website it says that they prefer you to carry on your guitar so that they can check it together with you. This was news to that guy--I think he would like to kill whoever put that up on the TSA website, but there you go. I got through.

The guitar was stuffed into an overhead compartment with about nine-hundred pounds of carry ons--crazy. They worry about a guitar, but people cheat with the carry ons to the point that it's a wonder that the whole carry on compartment section does not come down on your head.

Oh well, made it through.

Then London. Damn. Everything was okay until the x-ray machines where a crazy woman said it should go in a plastic tray that is 2 sizes two small for a guitar. Which means that she tried to balance it on the tray and dropped it. She halfway caught it, but it took a banger of a drop.

Ugh.

Then the BA ladies said they have a policy that bars all guitars as carry ons. I begged and pleaded. They said to carry it out to the plane and it would go in the hold. Gave me a tag, etc.

Okay.

BUT at the ladder a young steward saw me with a guitar and he came down and grabbed it and put it in the first-class closet!!!

So there are good people everywhere.

Now I'm back. I suddenly remember why I like this guitar. Really fun and actually the pickups are killer. Kind of a like a less rude P90, and the set neck gives the guitar a ton of sustain.

However, I may have a bit of twist in the neck. This could have come from the years it spent in a closet in Dallas--or maybe from the British x-ray lady dropping it and bouncing the truss rod? I may have a bit of a lacquer crack on one edge as well thanks to her.

Re the neck twist--I have my bass strings a bit higher anyway, but if I do the capo/hold-down-the-string test on the sixth, I have some relief, but almost none on the high string if I do the same. Seems to play okay though.

Maybe should I release the trust rod and retighten? What do you think? Seems to play okay though--for a 500 buck guitar for sure.

The sound though--it makes me wonder what was up with Guild at the time. It's as if they made a 1,000 buck guitar, but then used some plastic on the fret markers, agathis instead of US mahogany and sort of shrugged. These pickups are actually great. I heard they are better in the M75T than in the later D'armonds...

I heard that Guild went a bit crazy making a killer guitar, but when they were bought Fender saw this guitar as competing a bit too directly with their own guitars and the Gretsch line, so they first dropped the price to nothing to undervalue it and then killed it altogether. Maybe there is a bit of truth in that. I can say that a US version with real mahogany and better fret makers/tuners, etc. would be one helluva guitar. As it is, it looks like a great gigging guitar (good enough to gig with, but not valuable enough to make me worry) or better.

We'll see. Hoping the neck twist is nothing or that it works itself out now that I'm playing it again. Doesn't seem to screw up playability for now--tunes okay. Seems like maybe I have a hair more relief this morning after a set up last night...

So there you go--long-winded post, but that is the long and long of it.

K

Glad you got it home reasonably safely. TSA---all of the pomposity a low level bureaucrat that deals with the public can muster.

Sounds like your guitar has DeArmond 2000s---my favorites. I like both of my Guilds. Enjoy!

Wabash,

I'm pretty psyched about the guitar. It seems like the neck is getting back to normal. It's sort of a high-end beater, but dang, the pickups have muscle. Great rock guitar. Maybe a bit too much sustain for billy, but I dunno.

I'm going to put it through low volume paces in the morning (church music). We'll see hwo she does and if the single coils get too buzzy for... well, low volume church music.

Super comfy neck though. I now remember why I bought her years ago. It was one of those impulse buys that I'm now glad I made.

K

My least favorite thing in the world about flying is the first class cabin.

But outside of that, it's the carry-on trend in the US. I wish we'd go back to having checked bags fly free because I remember days when people would bring a backpack as a carry-on and call it good. Now people are fitting their entire vacation into a cube manufactured to be millimeters smaller than the allowable size for carry-ons. You're completely right: it's a wonder the overhead bins don't collapse from all the weight.

I heard that Guild went a bit crazy making a killer guitar, but when they were bought Fender saw this guitar as competing a bit too directly with their own guitars and the Gretsch line, so they first dropped the price to nothing to undervalue it and then killed it altogether. Maybe there is a bit of truth in that

Well no. DeArmond guitars were developed under FMIC ownership of Guild before their association with Gretsch.

FMIC discontinued DeArmond and started the blowout liquidation sales at least a year before they entered into the deal with Gretsch. They just didn’t sell at full price but flew off the shelves at the discounted price.

It was crazy, pappy. They ruled against a guitar that was actually not big, and people were carrying on the equivalent of small refrigerators. But the tsa bottleneck in dallas was insane. How does artificially creating a massive, unchecked crowd increase security? Truly a debacle.

They were not rude though. Just massively understaffed.

K

It was crazy, pappy. They ruled against a guitar that was actually not big, and people were carrying on the equivalent of small refrigerators. But the tsa bottleneck in dallas was insane. How does artificially creating a massive, unchecked crowd increase security? Truly a debacle.

They were not rude though. Just massively understaffed.

K

Charlie,

Interesting. Well, they were on to something in the beginning anyway.

K

Register Sign in to join the conversation