Other Guitars

Modern Fender and the thick finishes.

Looks like they finished that guitar with vinyl kitchen sheet flooring.

I meant FMIC is applying a thick finish on the new 2018 Gretsch guitars.

Evidence?

I'm not aware of any ongoing finish issues with Terada-built guitars that would motivate FMIC to make any changes to Terada's methods.

Not that I know a fraction of what's going on...but you'd think you'd see discussion about any such issues, and I don't know of any.

– Proteus

I was also wondering why they would change their finishing process while I was playing the many new Gretsch guitars I tried at NAMM 2018.

The names James" James Bondo" . Made to last maybe, unless it chips through, looks pretty brittle. You do wonder about the effect a finish that thick has on the sonic response and sustain. I have a 89 Deluxe strat in Dakota Red you can see the grain of the wood through it and its got lots of dings and hard usage were, however there are no cracks in the finish.The modern versions do look plastic to my eyes.

This was a guitar I worked on for Cameron that was several years old and the finish was still sticky between the wood and the finish.

In the OP's first photo, does anyone else see what looks like the edge of three thin wood laminations in the upper-left corner of the damaged area?

To my eye it looks like a thin dark layer of wood between two light-colored layers, beneath the color coat and above the broad, flat exposed wood surface.

In the OP's first photo, does anyone else see what looks like the edge of three thin wood laminations in the upper-left corner of the damaged area?

To my eye it looks like a thin dark layer of wood between two light-colored layers, beneath the color coat and above the broad, flat exposed wood surface.

– geoguy

It looks like white primer/sealer to me.

– geoguy

I thought it was a laminate as well, I can't imagine they actually put coats that thick on guitars usually

Let's see if I can upload an annotated image, showing what I'm referring to:

Perhaps it's a new use for sunburst Gretsch drum wrap.

Thick finishes sucks. The thickest PU finish I‘ve got was on my 2015 Hot Rod. Believe it or not, her tone was sterile. Here‘s the (Nitro) finish on my Thinline build. Thin as can be.

That's gotta be missing veneer.

– Charlie Vegas

Sorry, not a native speaker and maybe lost in translation...What do you mean with veneer? On my picture you can see on the screwhole (sorry, iphone pic) maple, primer, lacquer, clear coat.

@ Stefan - I believe that Charlie was referring to the guitar that had the large damaged area, not your guitar.

My Wildwood 10 is not that way. With Fender, like everything else, you get what you pay for.

My SRV Strat is pretty thick. But I love the guitar and still looks brand new at 11 years old and a ton of play time.

Nice pics Curt. Thanks for sharing.

@ Stefan - I believe that Charlie was referring to the guitar that had the large damaged area, not your guitar.

– geoguy

Got it, thanks!

That's gotta be missing veneer.

– Charlie Vegas

Agree.

It's a MIM in sunburst, they use veneer tops on those. And paint would just chip off regardless of the thickness, it couldn't just hang there like that.

I have a black MIM 2010 strat and a gold MIM 2015 strat, both have a small nick to the wood and the finish seems reasonable, its not even close to what is in that pic, I agree with Mil about there being a veneer on that thinline. I like fender finishes, and the finish on my VS jet. I'd rather it stay nice and shiny and not get all aged and relic'd. The finish on my MIM lacquer 50s Tele was so thin it would wear away if you stared at it too long

Register Sign in to join the conversation