Other Guitars

MIK Danelectro…anybody have one?

It lead to this shortly after, an extremely cool guitar for not much more.

Oh my, Tubs. As time flies by. Wasn't he a toddler some moments ago? So nice to see him with a guitar. Great pic.

Btw, are these Hercules stands? Are they worth the price?

– sascha

I know, he's growing like a weed. His feet are two sizes bigger than mine when I was his age.

Hercules stands? Are they worth the price? Absolutely, I've got loads of them. The floor standing ones for slab bodies and the like are my personal favourites (GS402B), I also have the ones where they hold under the headstock and those are brilliant for hollow bodies (GS414B). But I really don't like the Hercules GS401BB Acoustic Guitar Stand as I feel the guitar leans back too far. I've not tried the wall hangers years ago I got a String Swing for 50p and prefer the look.

Vince, my Dano Pro is 25” scale (which I really like). I’m pretty sure U2’s are 25.5 inches. Would explain the stiffness of playing, as it were.

How are the GFS lipsticks compared to the Factory Danos?

– noggsly

Well I get the dunces cap! It never occurred to me that it's a full scale neck, partly due to the lightweight character of the guitar. It feel so small compared to my Gibson Firebird which actually has a smaller scale length!

So thanks noggsly, it explains my hand cramps after a session with the Dano U2

And here's my early Korean model. I joke about it being the worlds most unlucky guitar. Cracked neck around headstock (ignored it, have been advised that it's best left....to explode!) Chunk of wood got bust from the top side of the fingerboard, fixed with black Milliput (thanks God for that stuff!) Dinged 7th fret that I just got fixed after avoiding that position for many years....now with black and red hand paint, GFS lipstick pup and short Tele bridge.

Phew. Th GFS is 8k, I should have gone for the lower gauge of 4k or 6k but I found the original to be a bit weedy at the bridge solo and that's where I live a lot. Twang etc,. I guess it's moved a bit away from the traditional Dano sound but it sounds GREAT! Still enough of the original vibe for me, and cheap as chips

Well I get the dunces cap! It never occurred to me that it's a full scale neck, partly due to the lightweight character of the guitar. It feel so small compared to my Gibson Firebird which actually has a smaller scale length!

So thanks noggsly, it explains my hand cramps after a session with the Dano U2

– Vince_Ray

My U2's, U3 & 63 all 25" scale.

After further research it looks like the reissues are 25” (like my Dano Pro) and the originals are 25.25”.

The compact nature of the guitar yet with a reasonably long scale length is one of the things I like about Danos. The Dano Pro is even smaller, the neck joins at the 14th fret...so widdly widdly stuff is hard to do. (Again another plus!)

I like the chopped tele bridge on your U2 Vince, good idea. Guitars with battle scars are always a bit more special... and milliput is definitely the greatest things since sliced epoxy!

I quite fancy giving the GFS Lipsticks a try...I tend to just use the two pickups in series setting on mine. I reckon two of the lower output models would sound good in this mode.

I found the middle position still had that blow switch effect, everything fires on all cylinders with that. But what did improve was the usability of the bridge pup on its own. Previously, it was a skinny kid.

Funny how that half inch fell away with the reissues. Maybe it's down to what you're used to, but I've never felt right with fuller scale guitars and have even sold two Gretsch Falcons as I neglected playing them due to scale length.

The Link Wray tribute band I play in are all obsessed with the gear of those recordings and usually when I turn up with a non regulation guitar, it gets a bit of a non reaction...but last week, they all dug the Dano! Obviously Link played the Longhorn danelectro and I wa spleased to hear my U2 start to sound similar. Powdog is setting me up with a Premier 71 soon so I'll be able to fit that larger part of the jigsaw puzzle together

My ex-wife got a baritone in black for me for Christmas in '99. She's long gone but I still have it...strung down a full octave for tic-tac work. Don't use it enough to change out anything on it...nice guitar.

I've had loads of originals, Chinese and Korean models. I really liked some of the newer ones. I recorded with a newer baritone, had a Dani Pro(Apricot) but unable to go past the 12th fret.

My son has a 12 and the smaller sitar, they're both great in sound , style, and bang for the buck.

I guess I should buy one...

I like the 59 NOS from the lost Warehouse box of Lipstick Pick-Ups, then there is now a 59 Stock...

Sea Foam Green, please. I'd give either of the PUPs a good listen before swapping...but this guitar seems to be an immediate candidate.

After I started this thread 3 1/2 years ago I "bumped into" the '59 Kay Barney Kessel Pro.

EDIT: The Baritone model might be the best fit for me.

Anyone have a Coral sitar in good condition that they want to offload?

I found the middle position still had that blow switch effect, everything fires on all cylinders with that. But what did improve was the usability of the bridge pup on its own. Previously, it was a skinny kid.

Funny how that half inch fell away with the reissues. Maybe it's down to what you're used to, but I've never felt right with fuller scale guitars and have even sold two Gretsch Falcons as I neglected playing them due to scale length.

The Link Wray tribute band I play in are all obsessed with the gear of those recordings and usually when I turn up with a non regulation guitar, it gets a bit of a non reaction...but last week, they all dug the Dano! Obviously Link played the Longhorn danelectro and I wa spleased to hear my U2 start to sound similar. Powdog is setting me up with a Premier 71 soon so I'll be able to fit that larger part of the jigsaw puzzle together

– Vince_Ray

Yes, the bridge skinny-ness is probably why I'm always in the middle position. Sounds like the GFS is worth a punt.

I really like the long-ish scale, i've got 11s on mine and it feels perfect.

Glad the U2 is getting closer to the longhorn sound. The Premier 71 is definitely going to be an important Link in the chain. Having one of those Yamaha SG-2s would be cool. Link sounded amazing on all his gear though. I think the hardest thing about trying to sound like him is trying not to play too much. Just riding the sound is where the magic lives.

I was in a charity shop the other day when all of a sudden "Run Chicken Run" came over the shop stereo! I nearly fell over with surprise. It was followed by some Lonnie Mack so I guess it was a Guitar Instro Compilation/playlist. It was wonderful to hear some Link Wray coming out of someone else's speakers.

I still have one original one, and I've had some Korean and Chinese ones. The Chinese ones are too crappy indeed. The "original" 90's Korean ones were a little nicer, and the current Korean ones are too.

Compared to 50's and 60's Danos, the pickups in all the reissues suck. While certainly not "hot" pickups, the originals weren't as wimpy and thin as the reissue's pickups would have you believe. Duncan lipsticks are great replacements for any reissue.

If you can afford it and you want an über dano, get a Jerry Jones. Unlike a lot of guitar manufacturers, they managed to get rid of some of the less elegant aspects of old Danos, but managed to keep the sound intact 100%. I have a JJ Longhorn six-string bass, and I'm never getting rid of that one, it's an awesome instrument.

– WB

I had one of the first RI guitar/baritone doublenecks, and never could get my preferred tone out of it. My JJ baritone is the voice of Johnny Cash in guitar form.

For the birdwatchers and trainspotters among you, a few of the first '98 reissues, like this Aqua Burst 56-U2 of mine, were made in Indonesia.

The first generation Korean ones are the best!

I picked one of the D59 Vintage 12-strings with NOS pickups back in February and love it. I've had two different Ric 12s that I never got along with because of the neck but the Dano is great.

I wanted aqua but the dealer couldn't get one so I took black... and then a Danelectro rep actually reached out to me and said they'd work with the dealer and D'Addario (their distributor here) to ship an aqua model to Canada for me. I thanked her and said I'd already bought a black one so they sent me a set of strings. Which was very nice of them.

I like it just as much as the Rics I had. No complaints about the quality or tone. She jangles and chimes and even sounds great with a little dirt too.

I had been thinking about picking up one of these and saw this post. So Monday, I’m heading over to buy this one from a guy I know. It was made in 1999 and has hardly been played.

Any idea on what kind of hard case these fit in? I don’t like gig bags.

The original MIK Danelectros are the best ones, ever!

Register Sign in to join the conversation