Other Guitars

MIK Danelectro…anybody have one?

I just stumbled across a few pictures of my old Silvertone Dano with amp in case. Wish there was a way to put these in a single post...

Last one…case only.

BTW, I loved this body shape…a little in the direction of an offset Fender. They only made this for about a year in '66/'67. Wish so much that I had kept it. It even had an instruction book from some cowboy TV show player from New Jersey inside!

I think the Dano version was called the "Hornet."

I have a red U2 that Ipicked up for my birthday back in '98. It was the first new electric guitar I ever bought. I payed $140 bucks out the door with the Danelectro 'tweed' gig bag. The p/u selector works intermittently, but the thing is fun to play!

– Matt Vogt

Try cleaning the switch with Deoxit.

I have been considering a Dano or Gretsch Baritone. Anybody here played one? If so what do you think of it? Thanks.

Has anyone taken a new Dano apart? In the early ones, the electronics were mounted in a copper foil box which made them one of the quietest guitars in existence. Hopefully, this shielding technique is used on the newer ones.

That amp in case brings back memories---my first guitar in Christmas '63---and I wish I'd have kept mine, too.

I have been considering a Dano or Gretsch Baritone. Anybody here played one? If so what do you think of it? Thanks.

– Pt

I had a '63 Reissue Baritone back in 2008. It was kind of a neat guitar. I only got rid of it, because I missed the loss of the higher registers, and to get them back, I opted for 7-string guitars. It did seem a tad neck heavy, but sounded killer. I used to love playing "Wichita Lineman" with it.

My old '63 Reissue Bari

Would you all agree that construction methods today in Korea, CNC, etc., fit/finish, would match the Jerry Jones of yesteryear?

I kinda think a new MIK, with whatever if needed Seymour Duncan Lipsticks and more preferred push-pull concentric pots, would be the best value.

Even the tuners if necessary, but those should be fine. So, it is a woodworking and fretboard comparison.

I have a line on a JJ, and there is allure, especially now as they are out of production, but, I kick myself that for a 1/3 the price I will be happier.

I have an original New Jersey made Convertible. The new ones probably are finished better---no raw fret ends and better hardware and so on. They never were meant to be top quality instruments, but basic beginner models.

Just bought this '56 Baritone two weeks ago online from GC for $329 on a whim. Least expensive guitar I've ever purchased. This is the pic from GC. It came set up perfectly out of the (cardboard) box. It's light and pretty basic, but plays nice and sounds great through a throbbing black face fender.

So, the workmanship and finish is professional to your satisfaction?

25 years forward I have to assume the Koreans can put these together even-up compared to Jerry. The electronics may have a tier-two class to them, even the tolerances of the tuning machines, etc., but as you say, and we all know, this isn't a whose hand-crafted is best grudge match.

Around june 1 or so they are coming out with their new 12's.

So, the workmanship and finish is professional to your satisfaction?

25 years forward I have to assume the Koreans can put these together even-up compared to Jerry. The electronics may have a tier-two class to them, even the tolerances of the tuning machines, etc., but as you say, and we all know, this isn't a whose hand-crafted is best grudge match.

– Twangmeisternyc

My '59 M NOS is fine. There is a small finish blemish on the seal-guard, but it's only noticeable if you're really looking for it, and are within about a foot. Honestly, even playing it a lot, I do not really see it.

Look, it's a little cartoonish, with the plastic knobs and all, but as I said before, the neck on mine is extremely nice, it stays in tune, and the pickups are fine...not great, but fine. You could upgrade the electronics and probably still be under $500. And the orange color is great, as is the surf green.

Thx, that's my thought, too.

Where ever and whatever I think one of the new MIK ones needs an upgrade, don't think too hard, just do it...

The JJ's are a great thing, from another point in time.

My last crazy option is to make one...Ha!

I had a DC-3 in sparkle blue. I got it inexpensively on the Bay about year 2000. I had it for many years but I didn't care for it. I actually disliked playing it. My hands felt weird and almost injured after I played it for some reason. Sound okay. I like the looks of the Danos but playing is not fun for me.

Stick with the Steve Soest spec Korean models.

I always enjoyed the old 12-string Bellzoukis. Love to have one but don't want to spend much on it. And for a while I owned a double-neck 12/6 '90's model. But I did just order a new Longhorn guitar in copperburst coloring. Looking forward to its arrival.

Wow. An old thread. But I'm jumping in as I've recently been working on my Korean U2. Added short Tele bridge and GFS lipstick pup. LOVE the sound now but it's a bit of a stiff player.. any clues about why? I'd assume the shorter scale would make it breezy

I managed to get a pair of Seymour Duncan lipsticks for £30 each from Amazon of all places. My U2 sounds as good as ever.

But since this thread started I've got two more Dano's a Korean Longhorn Baritone and Chinese blue sparkle 63 that I won via Facebook. My son has nicked the 63 and is learning to play because the bridge is so close to edge of the body the guitar feels much shorter than it is so it is easy for him to play.

Oh my, Tubs. As time flies by. Wasn't he a toddler some moments ago? So nice to see him with a guitar. Great pic.

Btw, are these Hercules stands? Are they worth the price?

I have the Dano Dead on '67 baritone model like this one. It is a great inexpensive guitar. And they look way cool.

Wow. An old thread. But I'm jumping in as I've recently been working on my Korean U2. Added short Tele bridge and GFS lipstick pup. LOVE the sound now but it's a bit of a stiff player.. any clues about why? I'd assume the shorter scale would make it breezy

– Vince_Ray

Vince, my Dano Pro is 25” scale (which I really like). I’m pretty sure U2’s are 25.5 inches. Would explain the stiffness of playing, as it were.

How are the GFS lipsticks compared to the Factory Danos?

Register Sign in to join the conversation