Other Guitars

MIJ 72 RI Tele Custom body

Been looking at this Tele body on Reverb.com. It's apparently MIJ 72 RI Tele Custom, sans neck.

I'm wondering how hard it would be to find the right neck for it. I prefer rosewood to maple. Gotta be a 3-bolt. The seller advised that it should be the same "make, model, and country of origin for proper fit."

My initial google search didn't turn up much. I guess ordering from a place like Warmoth might be an option. Or are they expensive?

Drill a couple of holes and use a four bolt neck plate, and remove the tilt contraption.

I notice that this seller also has Tele necks for sale. Kind of a parts weasel, no? $340 for a used neck seems a bit steep---especially if it's off of the same guitar.

Most Tele necks should be within spec/size. That's what standardization is all about.

Be aware of the body weight - I think some of these guys part out the really heavy guitars.

Drill a couple of holes and use a four bolt neck plate, and remove the tilt contraption.

– Mr Tubs

Yes to this - kind of tricky plugging the two front holes though, the new holes will be right next to the plugged ones - use a good drill press and progressive drill bits (start small).

The pictured body has a cheap non-original bridge. The pickup might be a cheap replacement too. If you consider that the MIJ Wide Range humbuckers were nothing like the real ones and the 72 Custom Telecaster is available in both variants (maple and rosewood board) I think you’re better off with a current MIM Classic series guitar or a Squier Classic Vibe 72 that you can mod to your liking. I‘d pass on this one. My 2 Cents.

Thanks guys. I think I'll pass. Appreciate the input.

Register Sign in to join the conversation