Other Guitars

Mempiz Kat Ali Kat - Scotty Moore Tribute Guitar?

Some how stumbled upon this at YouTube. You know how you get thrown from one place to another there and you wonder how you got there? Yes, you got it, that's the case here.

Interesting guitar. Cost a small fortune. Some might find it ugly with the exaggerated cutaway but at least it's not a copy of an ES-295 but something creative for a copy.

http://www.alikat.com.au/me...

That looks like a hollow body version of the Musicvox "Spaceranger" guitars used in the Austin Powers movie:

(Freud would have something to say about them, no doubt!)

$6k for a bolt on neck.

$6k for a bolt on neck.

– ....

I was thinking that too but maybe welding the neck on instead of bolting it just wouldn't work for whatever reason. Maybe it would be hard to make it the perfect angle if you welded.

It's a wood neck, that looks to me to be a pre-made Chinese neck. I suppose bolting it on is the only real option.

It's a wood neck, that looks to me to be a pre-made Chinese neck. I suppose bolting it on is the only real option.

– ....

That part I missed. I thought it was metal but since it's wood then you are right, bolting is the only way probably. Anyway who's looking for Les Paul like sustain for a hollow body with single coils?

Gibson talked about doing a tribute guitar to Scotty for awhile (beyond the ES295s he popularized). It was supposed to be based on the Chet he played with his mods. Oddly one of the first photo ops for him prior to starting his site was when Gibson was going to present him with something at a show in Memphis with Lee Rocker. They asked me if I'd take pix because they knew I was going to start his site (actually the guy that was in charge of the Rock 'n soul museum there). Lee hooked me up with an all access pass and unfortunately I didn't get there in time for the guitar presentation, which was cool because it was not the guitar he thought. Someone there (Henry?) decided to make a run of three ES295s for the the 25th anniversary of Elvis' death with humbuckers, Elvis Presley on the pickguard and covered with TCB stuff. One was for Scotty, one for Graceland, and one to be kept at Gibson. Scotty said they took his back (called them Indian givers). We thought it was funny because he never had anything to do with the TCB era thing. This is the guitar they made for Scotty.

PS. I wasn't as angry as I looked in the pic, that's just my face.

For the record, this is the guitar Mickey Butler originally planned as a Scotty Moore signature model but they felt it was too similar to Chet's so they just called it another variation of that

If you want Scotty Moore and have that scratch, go for a real 295. They are awesome.

If you want Scotty Moore and have that scratch, go for a real 295. They are awesome.

– Strummerson

For the most part, the ES295 sound is really just the first 4 Sun singles (not counting several of the others that weren't released while at Sun). Everything else with Elvis from Mystery Train on in the '50s was with his Gibson L5 and Super 400, both with Alnico V pickups.

So James,

How'd Scotty like it?

It’s nice that there are (kinda) expensive guitars that cause me no GAS whatsoever.

So James,

How'd Scotty like it?

– crowbone

The Es295ish thing I posted the picture of? I don't remember him giving much thought to it. I missed the presentation that night, evidently, and when I was back stage I didn't want to specifically ask about the guitar in case it was a surprise so I asked if they gave him anything. He replied, "a hard time." Talking to Gail his companion about it later we wondered about all the fixings. Beyond it being called an ES295 and painted gold, he never had one with humbuckers or a bigsby, let alone anything with Elvis Presley or TCB all over it. I don't think any of us ever saw it again and I never heard him mention it.

I like the staple pickups and the bridge. I'd take those off and put them on a proper guitar.

I like the staple pickups and the bridge. I'd take those off and put them on a proper guitar.

– WB

Those look like Seymour Duncan's pickups. I remember when he/they introduced them I wondered and asked about the raised square like indentation behind the mounting screws and he said the originals were like that. I had, and still haven't seen any original that had that.

Someone needs to turn down his clicky pickup, maybe turn up the bridge pickup.

I can't stand only hearing clicky clicky clicky, when listening to upright players in rockabilly/psychobilly bands.

a SD and a '54

– James V Roy

I don't know the pedigree of the P-90 in this image but it comes from guitarHQ.com

I don't know the pedigree of the P-90 in this image but it comes from guitarHQ.com

– Charlie Vegas

Those look like SD's also

These are the P90s on my 53 ES295 (before refinishing)

Indentation or not - I love how they replicated the much narrower pre-54 P90 covers. Any other P90 cover that's available now is the post-54 kind, a much wider, bigger cover. I like the look of the earlier ones.

Register Sign in to join the conversation