Other Guitars

Magnatone Mark V experts?

First I should start by saying hi. Haven't been on here in literally years!

I'll have this beauty in my hands in a few days. It was initially listed as a 1955.... I'm aware these were only made between 56 and 58. With the contoured edges of the top I believe it to be an early-ish model but not the earliest version I've seen considering it has dot inlays.

Anyone well versed in these rare birds? I'm curious what year production it is. I'm thinking late 56 or early 57. Serial number is 52903.

Anything with that +/- 1957 era Bigsby on it is so cool in my book. I love it!

They are pretty cool. The thing to watch for on these is the break angle over the bridge. I've seen a few that were really nice, but needed more neck angle to play right.

They are pretty cool. The thing to watch for on these is the break angle over the bridge. I've seen a few that were really nice, but needed more neck angle to play right.

– JazzBoxJunky

That is my number one concern with this guitar. Fortunately, when I have it in my hands I have three days to make an evaluation and decide whether to keep. Look at the pic...break angle is definitely a concern.

cool! congrats...wish for the best, but there are solutions.. hah

cheers

cool! congrats...wish for the best, but there are solutions.. hah

cheers

– neatone

Nah....not doing that! No way could I drill in that thing!!!

That is my number one concern with this guitar. Fortunately, when I have it in my hands I have three days to make an evaluation and decide whether to keep. Look at the pic...break angle is definitely a concern.

– Timothy Mayes

It looks more than fine to me. Break angle is overrated. If it's enough to keep the strings from jumping the saddle, then it's enough, period.

Yeah the break looks good in the pics, I've seen much worse.

Cut the slots in the bridge nice and deep...then raise the bridge slightly. That way they won't pop out.

Cut the slots in the bridge nice and deep...then raise the bridge slightly. That way they won't pop out.

– guitarcapo

Might work...my right hand is unfortunately heavy...we'll see. I'm very excited to give it a go!

Just now able to pay buy it...should have it in my hands the middle of next week I'm guessing.

...counting the minutes.

Register Sign in to join the conversation