Other Guitars

Magnatone Mark IV 1956

My local vintage guitar shop has a Magnatone Mark IV for sale, not something you see popping up too often, especially not in Europe. They’ve had it a while, I played it a bit when they first had got it in (pre-C19) and it is unfathomably cool. I’d be tempted by it but I have already gone mad buying stuff in the last six months.

Anyone else got any experience with Magnatone guitars?

I would love to have one of these. It'd be the closest I'll ever get to a Bigsby.

Looks like lipstick pickups.-- pretty cool axe

That is cool. How does it play/sound?

The Magnatone I'd most like is the D8 Lyric Steel guitar as played by Jules Ah See.

I have never played one but I am kind obsessed with these Barth designed Magnatones.

The shape is so good and I am amazed that no one has brought it back. A little Ricky, an little dano, a touch of supro. Handsome guitars, these.

I approve. The only Maggie I've ever seen and heard live sounded fantastic - kind of a cross between a Dyna Jet and Dano.

I"ve also overbought in the past months, however - and that's pricey. Arguably worth it - these aren't plentiful and this one looks rightly original - but out of my bush league.

As European price points go versus US, that's not a reason not to buy.

Very rare and too cool, hopefully has its own sound and thing going for it, and any other aspects beyond the advert in good playing, or easily restored shape.

I'll go out on a limb and say this one has a Ronnie Wood connection.

Do they ship to Reno?

My local vintage guitar shop has a Magnatone Mark IV for sale, not something you see popping up too often, especially not in Europe. They’ve had it a while, I played it a bit when they first had got it in (pre-C19) and it is unfathomably cool. I’d be tempted by it but I have already gone mad buying stuff in the last six months.

Anyone else got any experience with Magnatone guitars?

– Tsar Nicholas

I got a set of munnerlyn mark IV magnatone pickups because of ashley kingman (big sandy) he's been playing a magnatone mark IV w a bigsby neck for a long time, John Munnerlyn finally built him a replica and consequently reproduced the pickups for sale.

the original magna

and the repro by Munnerlyn... clean then more rev'd up in the 2nd vid

RJ Ronquillo tearing up the eastman clone

I saw Ashley play with his original Magnatone ages ago, he sounded absolutely incredible. He was playing through my ‘63 Bandmaster too which was cool!

Twangmeister, you might be right about the Ronnie Wood connection, I know he stops by that shop the odd time.

As far as I can remember it played nicely.

I got a set of munnerlyn mark IV magnatone pickups because of ashley kingman (big sandy) he's been playing a magnatone mark IV w a bigsby neck for a long time, John Munnerlyn finally built him a replica and consequently reproduced the pickups for sale.

the original magna

and the repro by Munnerlyn... clean then more rev'd up in the 2nd vid

RJ Ronquillo tearing up the eastman clone

– TheNocturneBrain

Oooh! Sooooo cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for the Eastwood reissue/clone (that, or else another one of the Eastwood Coronado reissues/clones like I had 12 years ago, that I had to sell, due to being broke at the time). It definitely is its own sound (and cool to boot - kind of like an extra beefy sounding Dano) - and they look pretty similar to the doublecut Bigsby guitars.

Adding to the Magnatone guitar info - I remember reading in a 1980s Guitar Player article on surf guitar, that the Chantays' lead guitarist Bob Spickard played a Magantone on "Pipeline" (the lead guitar is the part that's buried oddly set at a low level in the mix of the song).

A portrait of the artist with an old Magnatone.

I saw that one as well. My bucket list is to play one of those someday!

Register Sign in to join the conversation