Other Guitars

Made my little EKO acoustic electric!

hilo, great looking guitar.

Did you just buy it? What year is it? What pickups are in it?

Congrats!

hilo, great looking guitar.

Did you just buy it? What year is it? What pickups are in it?

Congrats!

– ThePolecats

Thanks! I've had the guitar for maybe 15 years, as an acoustic. It's a mid 60's EKO that I bought for 75 bucks. It always played great, but wasn't an amazing sounding acoustic. I made the pickguard and put in some great sounding, low output toasters. I don't think they're REAL, but who knows? I found a lot of cool stuff in "junk box"es in the 80's. The only other change is adding the tremolo. It's my fully hollow Gretsch Jr. wanna-be!

That's cool as can be! Nice job.

That looks like fun.

Sorta like a 2 pickup Clipper

Sweet! I've always liked Eko guitars. My cousin had a lute bodied acoustic. They weren't all that common here in the Colonies.

Ah.....another Eko lover! Beautiful age patina on that natural finish, Hilosean! Here's a pic of my 6 string Eko. This is a rare model, an E85 from '78. It came with dual pickguards ala the Everly Brothers models and looked ugly as hell! I took off the upper one and it still looked poor so I took that off as well. I've made great improvements over the years but what distinguishes this model from other Eko model is that it has a set-in neck, not the normal [for Eko], a bolted on neck.

Here's my '69 Eko Ranger 12 string that has the bolted on neck....an aluminum nut as well. Eko's were very popular in the mid '60's - '80's in Southern Ontario. Exellent guitars and built like a tank.

Sure like the looks of Hilo's Eko. I've seen a few vintage Eko semi-hollowbodies but to me, they don't look pretty like this one. Your upgrades sure have brought it to life!

Thanks for the cool comments! Dig those EKO acoustics!

I have two Eko built Vox tornados which use the same body. The one with the b11 has been my main guitar since 93. Love that thing. And by default i love your Eko

I have two Eko built Vox tornados which use the same body. The one with the b11 has been my main guitar since 93. Love that thing. And by default i love your Eko

– fistpicker

Sweet! Did you put different pickups in them? How did you find such similar guitars? I never see EKO electrics around.

Around 1993 I bought the one on the left at a local music shop for a staggering at the time cost of $275 with the original tear drop case. It was in the "weird guitars" rack with supros and danelectros and other cheap department store guitars. I played it with the stock single coil in the neck position for years until I had an accident while one of my bands was filming a video. I tripped and stabbed the headstock into the ground. That dislodged the windings in the pickup making it seriously microphonic. I mean it had always been a feedback monster, but it became unplayable live. So I did what any rock and roll kid would have done and cut it for a pair of Classic 57's and loved the guitar even more.

The second one popped up on ebay 5 years ago as a husk but it still had the pickup. Being the hoarder I am, the old microphonic pickup, tuners, bridge and tailpiece was still in my guitar/amp parts toolbox so I attempted to wax pot the pickup on the stove with some old candle wax. The old pickup read almost 1k higher so it went into the bridge position. It is still microphonic. The sealed case on the vox pickups prevented the wax from getting where it needed to be.

A few years ago I added the B11 and swapped out the humbuckers for the Surf 90's while chasing something closer to the "Shadowy men on a Shadowy planet" sound and pretty much nailed it so that guitar is about perfect.

These Vox necks have a very narrow nut width which most folks dislike but even with my big hands I am just so used to them that they feel natural.

Love what you've done with that little guy Sean. What a cool and no doubt groinky-sounding guitar with a unique personality.

I've had an Eko since the age of eleven. Whenever there's an acoustic guitar on a song I've written, this is the one you will hear.

Love what you've done with that little guy Sean. What a cool and no doubt groinky-sounding guitar with a unique personality.

I've had an Eko since the age of eleven. Whenever there's an acoustic guitar on a song I've written, this is the one you will hear.

– ade

Ah....we share the same love Ade! If my 6-string had come with the pickguard shape yours has or my 12-string, I'd have kept one on.

I'm curious Ade, is yours a bolt-on or set-in neck and what's the neck width at the nut? Mine is 1.8" or 46 mm.

I measured the nut width for you Dave- 1.75"

It's a bolt-on neck. Not at all the loudest acoustic guitar but an extremely balanced sound from low to high strings and all the way up the neck. It makes for a really nice recording acoustic.

Somebody ordered it new and rejected it because the headstock logo was upside down. So, left-hand guitars being quite rare my dad got it for me. In the picture we are playing together that very summer. It's a little bit faint but you can perhaps enjoy how thoroughly swamped I was by it. My dad is playing his Hofner Congress.

Thanks Ade. Long live the wider necks! That's a very cool story about you and your dad I too find the sound of my bolt-on neck 12-string to be very well balanced and pleasing to the ear. Not sure if the aluminum nut and rosewood board contribute in that regard but its wonderful.

All our guitars in this thread have a lovely rosewood fingerboard which just adds to their visual charm. Thanks for starting this post Hilosean. Truly a make of guitar that falls under 'other' as it doesn't have a website for discussion of its own.

I remembered coming across one of those little Ekos like hilosean's a long ways back. I'd've bought it (cheap) but a huge chunk of the thick glaze finish had fallen off and there was no way to match it up that I could see. Sad. Nice little student guitar.

Register Sign in to join the conversation