Other Guitars

Made a 5 ply bound ‘guard for a ‘55 Gibson L-5.

Superb job Tony, thanks for posting.

Ziplock is a US brand name for a self seal bag, one of those press-together things.

Thanks, we call them grip-seal bags. I just thought the gassing off may melt the plastic.

I don’t think so. I’m no chemist, but I think polythene is pretty inert to the off-gassing.

That's work to be proud of!

Great job Tony!

And your guitar is quite beautiful sir.

I just sold a mandolin (Gibson A-40, 1952). It was in near mint condition except the pickguard had started to "eat itself up", and the last 6 or 7 frets (closest to the pick guard) had turned black with tarnish, ALL caused by off gassing of the celluloid guard. Probably cost me $100 - $200 in market value.

That '50s L5 is a guitar that I play in my dreams and I play it well. In life, not so much.

Thanks, we call them grip-seal bags. I just thought the gassing off may melt the plastic.

– tonyb

Plastic bags with PVC also give off a gas. It's the smell you get when opening a cheap set of raincloths,it stops the bags from getting brittle. I know it can damage metals, not sure what else. (Polly Vinal Cloride)

Awesome, Tony! Looks great !

Same again for next 4 layers. I had 3 types of glue, thin CF which normaly takes ages to dry, CF Gel, which I normally use for binding bodies. Lastly acetone, which melts the plastic together. Acetone was fine on flat bits but when I tried to bend it round, it just snapped. The thin CF dried immediately, leaving no wiggle room. So CF Gel it is. The last layer is thicker (2mm) so I heated it up & taped it to a former overnight.dano2 019

– tonyb

Great job and always enjoy seeing a step by step thread. One question: What does CF stands for?

Great job and always enjoy seeing a step by step thread. One question: What does CF stands for?

– blueflame

I mean CA of course, Cyanoacrylate Adhesive. In a rush as usual.

Beautiful work Tony.

That's the guitar from Paris right?

Beautiful work Tony.

That's the guitar from Paris right?

– Shuggie

Yup.

Register Sign in to join the conversation