Other Guitars

Made a 5 ply bound ‘guard for a ‘55 Gibson L-5.

I got my dream Jazzbox last year, however I noticed that the plain strings would rust really quickly, adjacent to the 'guard. I figured that it was being caused by the Celluloid 'guard gassing off, so I thought I'd have a go at making a replacement out of plastic & keep the original in the case. Also the original is rather delicate & I didn't want it to crumble. Here's the original. louis 001

So I got some dark brown tortie & some black/white binding. dano guard 001

I traced round the original onto some MDF, reduced it by the thickness of the binding & cut it out for a router template. dano guard 002

Stuck on with double sided tape. I'll leave the protective film on as long as I can.dano guard 003

I made a little jig & put some release paper (like on sticky back printer paper) to stop it sticking to the wood. First layer of white 0.3 mm binding going on.dano guard 004

Same again for next 4 layers. I had 3 types of glue, thin CF which normaly takes ages to dry, CF Gel, which I normally use for binding bodies. Lastly acetone, which melts the plastic together. Acetone was fine on flat bits but when I tried to bend it round, it just snapped. The thin CF dried immediately, leaving no wiggle room. So CF Gel it is. The last layer is thicker (2mm) so I heated it up & taped it to a former overnight.dano2 019

The layers are; 0.3 mm white, 0.5 black, 0.5 white, 0.5 black then 2 mm white. The straight bits were easy.dano2 020

I used a sharp chisel for the mitres.dano2 021

I used a Dremel with a drum sander bit to get most of the plastic excess off, then a scraper blade.dano2 022

Getting there, just needs a bit of ageing.guard2 001

Very nice job so far! Can i recommend that you don't keep the original in the case, it will still off gas and can cause all sorts of bad things to happen ( rotten binding, pitted plating, funky smell). Wildeman

Rub down with micromesh & some pine wood stain.guard2 002

For the stiffeners on the back I cut up an old Squier Tele 'guard. Doubled up for the bit with the retaining nail. White on the B side, never mind.guard2 003

Just superb! When the tortoise guard on my '57 Roundup began off-gassing, I removed it immediately and placed it in a Ziplock bag. 6 or 7 years on and it seems to have completely arrested the deterioration.

Something like that.guard2 004

Very nice job so far! Can i recommend that you don't keep the original in the case, it will still off gas and can cause all sorts of bad things to happen ( rotten binding, pitted plating, funky smell). Wildeman

Thanks for the advice. The guitar lives on the wall, not in the case. I was going to wrap it in something, not sure what, I was going to avoid anything plastic, maybe a duster.

Just superb! When the tortoise guard on my '57 Roundup began off-gassing, I removed it immediately and placed it in a Ziplock bag. 6 or 7 years on and it seems to have completely arrested the deterioration.

– James Brown

Thanks James. What's a ziplock bag, is that plastic? Also, does celluloid gas off immediately or just after a period of time?

Wow. That’s a great job. And I love the guitar and photos.

What’s not to like.

Great work again, Tony!

Thanks James. What's a ziplock bag, is that plastic? Also, does celluloid gas off immediately or just after a period of time?

– tonyb

Yes, a Ziplock bag is a plastic sandwich bag that can be sealed airtight. There's a lot of disagreement about what causes the deterioration and how to stop its progression. What I can tell you is that I caught mine very early and have seen zero further deterioration since I sealed it in the bag. As for your second question, I imagine it might begin immediately under the right (or in this case, wrong) conditions with regard to temperature, humidity, etc.

Register Sign in to join the conversation