Other Guitars

Listings to Cherish

And only $150 for shipping of this rare guitar from New Jersey. Such a deal!

And only $150 for shipping of this rare guitar from New Jersey. Such a deal!

– Hoot Owl

I bet I know somebody in New Jersey who can get it for you "wholesale".

I bet I know somebody in New Jersey who can get it for you "wholesale".

– Tartan Phantom

I can bring it to Nashville!

Strangest "Gibson" guitar I've ever seen! In a Gator case to boot!

What a bunch of crybabies! The first one comes with picks, fer cryin' out loud, and the second one's got a jack plate! What more do you need?

The Holler body is an ES - 2. Says so on the sticker.

I read the title as "Listenting to Cherish." I was looking forward to some lengthy ruminations on The Association.

I read the title as "Listenting to Cherish." I was looking forward to some lengthy ruminations on The Association.

– Afire

Hmmm... I suppose we could debate the underlying subtext of the lyrics to "Along Comes Mary".... But we'll probably arrive at the same conclusions that everyone else has over the years...

Well, there is something about Mary, or so I've been told.

I suppose "Along Comes" has the same subtext as the inspiration for "Got to Get You Into My Life."

And under the gorgeous harmonies and lilting melody of The Association's "Cherish," which seems a love song in the usual vein, is also the usual masculine resentment that male privilege is not enough to "mold" someone who just isn't all that into him...into someone who will "cherish" him. As he "cherishes" (read "desires," which made "Never My Love" at least that much more honest) her. Or worships from afar...somehow making it her fault that she's "driving him crazy."

Besides which, he's apparently a self-pitying wimp, because he's never even TOLD her. It's driving him crazy that she can't read his mind? Bad basis for a relationship!

Of course I'm being too harsh; it was just intended as a teenage love song, a perfect fit for the immature emotions of infatuation and crippling shyness, with which ever so many listeners could identify - and which complimented and elevated the self-fulfilling prophecy contained within to something holier.

The sexual politics aren't quite as in-yer-face as in the stalking anthem "Every Breath You Take," which came 16 years later - and, since Sting wasn't stupid, must have been his intentional private joke on the world. "How nasty a sentiment can I get away with if I just cast it in the form of a wistful ballad?" Or maybe he really is a bastard.

Still, while rock is FULL of male-centric assumption of privilege and dominance of women, nothing quite beats "I'd rather see you dead little girl than to see you with another man" for a line that got away with (threatened) murder.

OK...enough rumination, probably.

...."threatened"....???....oh, that's just "hyperbole"...how could you ever take that seriously.

(aka--Lessons I've learned since 01.20.17)

BTW---I also thought, initially, that this was a thread about The Association's "Cherish"...and, I also think that "Along Comes Mary" is a very cool song that is fun to play....it has a "killer" (wink) 12 string intro!

Still, while rock is FULL of male-centric assumption of privilege and dominance of women, nothing quite beats "I'd rather see you dead little girl than to see you with another man" for a line that got away with (threatened) murder.

I was playing a benefit last year and somebody or other had a nephew who is a big Beatles fan and asked if we'd let him sit in for a couple of songs, which we did. "Run for Your Life" was one of the songs he wanted to do with us. I suggested that maybe that wasn't the best choice, since the benefit was for for a domestic abuse intervention service.

I clicked on those links and I got a kick out of those listings. Pretty funny. I always assume those types of listings are from people that somehow came into a guitar but have absolutely no clue about guitars and have no clue about the value of what they've got. The really funny part is now I'm getting emails from Ebay with subject lines like "electric guitar still available!" I YI YI!!!

and as far as the macho bs thats ever present in rock and roll, how about "come in this house woman, stop all that yakety yak, don't make me nervous, I'm holding a baseball bat!" What? But then if I blacklisted all music that had any type of offensive lyrics, all I could listen to is emo. Not sure I could handle that.

I just got an email from eBay advising me that the price on the rare hollow guitar has been reduced by $50. Let me check...nope, still not interested.

Hmmm. Rare ones are hard to find, but I think I’ll also pass.

Register Sign in to join the conversation