Other Guitars

lesson learned — assume nothing

Well as the MM frenzy forges ahead -- two things to report.

1) I ordered a WD guard so we could drill it for mods... I just assumed that the guards were the same for the 59-65 MM (with one and two pickup vairants) and then changed for the '66 thru '70 SG Melody Maker...

But clearly it was a different guard for the full size ones. I thought the body was the same for both and just a longer neck.. but nooo... anyway just saying. So returning the WD one.

2) I started a lively discussion over a month ago about the little Gibson single coil -- some in favor, some not.... and it was one of those things where it was great tone in the house but w/ the band (Timid Folk Music) it didn't cut thru.

I bet tho if you A/B one of those against a same era Duo Sonic pickup there won't be much difference.

But Duncan to the rescue -- their MM splitbucker is really good for squeezing a bucker in that small size. So now I got a scene going. Once decent frets are on this guitar will be a seriously kool 22.5" scale scene.

Someone had said something about bad service from Duncan... maybe I wuz lucky. They said 4-5 weeks for custom builds... it was here in less than 2 weeks.

It WILL fit! Duct tape?

Two things.

• The Duo Sonic pickup of that era is not something I hold up as a good example of anything.
• There is No Such Thing as a "standard" pickguard, for any guitar. To be sure of a fit, I just send the whole original guard to the guy who's cutting the new one.

Two things.

• The Duo Sonic pickup of that era is not something I hold up as a good example of anything.
• There is No Such Thing as a "standard" pickguard, for any guitar. To be sure of a fit, I just send the whole original guard to the guy who's cutting the new one.

– Proteus

Yes I could do a trace and Pickguardian has done good work for lots of My Demented Projects.

Even tho I am escapee from/ survivor of the vintage Fender cult, fully deprogrammed, etc. if I recall the original Strat pickup and Duo Sonic pickup are darn near identical... maybe one is staggered poles, one level poles....

So when Slaves to the Plank are all crazed about pre CBS Strat pickups, sometimes selling for small fortunes, what's so great about em if this same group is not in similar state about Duo Sonic pickups.

Ain't nothing duct tape won't fix. This pickup was in the wrong neighborhood, upgrade the zip code.

Duct tape hermetically seals the tone in.

Ain't nothing duct tape won't fix. This pickup was in the wrong neighborhood, upgrade the zip code.

Duct tape hermetically seals the tone in.

– Curt Wilson

Sure like the finish one that one.

Boy howdy!

I learned that same lesson by way of gold Rickenbacker truss rod covers. You wouldn’t think the specs could vary a whole lot but there must be at least a dozen different screw hole configurations, location wise, depending on the model and even particular year ranges of a given model. [And lemme tell ya, the old school gold ones ain’t cheap!] Through the course of my searching, I’ve had to return 3 of them and I have a couple on guitars that are only there because 2 screws fit the holes in the headstock and the TRC isn’t too WIDE at the nut. (Hard to imagine on a Rick but it’s happened.)

Well Rick is noted to be all over the map with stuff that is more standardized on other guitars. So you learned, also -- assume nothing

I have a 60s Mustang, and a Duo Sonic. While I've never paid attention to how the Mustang pickups compare to Strat pups, they're marvelous in the Mustang. The Duo Sonic pickups...sound like the early 60s idea of what a "student-grade" guitar should be. (That is, lesser. It seems a particularly cynical and craven approach - better pickups would have cost, what, 50¢ more?)

I have a 60s Mustang, and a Duo Sonic. While I've never paid attention to how the Mustang pickups compare to Strat pups, they're marvelous in the Mustang. The Duo Sonic pickups...sound like the early 60s idea of what a "student-grade" guitar should be. (That is, lesser. It seems a particularly cynical and craven approach - better pickups would have cost, what, 50¢ more?)

– Proteus

I guess the cost cutters, bean counters were around then too.

Register Sign in to join the conversation