Other Guitars

Les Paul Special w/ P90s Your Thoughts and Mine

Mick Jones recorded The Clash (first record) with a single p-90 jr. He was inspired to play one by Jonny Thunders. Far as I'm concerned, Mick could have stuck with the tones he got out of that guitar for his whole career. He said he thinks so as well in an interview somewhere.

If you find yourself with one of those first gen Electromatic Projets, you can drop a couple of soap bars in it with very little effort....Then, you can have a P90 GretschPaul.....

– Matt Vogt

Great post Matt and would not have thought of this without your input. I reckon I could find one of those Electromatics at a very decent price and just pop some soap bar P90s in.

Yup, I am one chasing tone and probably what I should do first is swap out the hot Lollar P90s in my Edwards LP for lower output and warmer.....my first thought went right to the Gibson P90s.

I think, for me, those LP Jr P90s are the most honkin rock and roll guitars ever. I have a 54’ junior. I used it a lot in my early Gas Money years. Man was it loud. I can rockabilly on it a little. Back to back with my 55’ 6120 it’s a dramatic difference. Both sound like the old days of rock but just such tonal comparisons are silly. I love them both.

Looks and sounds like a real Rock n Roll machine. They reissued the ,55 LP Special in the ,70s .

I have to agree with all the positive comments on Orville guitars. I have a 1995 Orville Junior that has become one of my favorite guitars. I got lucky with this one and hope to get a Special to compliment it someday.

Aaaa...P-90’s shmee-90’s. (wink wink)

Hamer offered a really nice MIA Special in the 90s. I owned two of them, but sold both due to the neck width. If you can work with 1.65", they are really well made guitars. Here's the cherry finish 1992 model I owned.

Hamer offered a really nice MIA Special in the 90s. I owned two of them, but sold both due to the neck width. If you can work with 1.65", they are really well made guitars. Here's the cherry finish 1992 model I owned.

– Caliban335

Nice color!

But, Tub. Why needest thou two of same?

If you can't find one, build one (Kent Armstrong P-90)

But, Tub. Why needest thou two of same?

– Proteus

Wayulp, t’were happenstance as it went.

Gitfiddle on the left is a...[deep breath]...2007 Les Paul Junior Special DC Faded. [panting] I’d wanted a TV yellow double cut ‘Special for years and the gun/pawnshop where I worked had that somewhat high-mileage specimen. It’s had a headstock repair and as if in apology, the previous owner had put Grovers on it. I really wanted a ‘60-style glossy yellow one but I was in the right place at the right time and $175 was all it took to get it and its hard shell. I mean c’mon...

The one on the right actually IS a pristine gloss-finish ‘92 reissue with an ebony board that was originally part of a run for the Japanese market but that particular specimen never left these shores. Price was sensible and now my lust is completely satisfied.

They do sound and play quite a bit different from each other. Glossy one is fatter and the matte faded one has just a rabid, PMS-ridden growling bite.

I don’t deserve either one.

I've often fantasized about nabbing a used vette and popping in t-90s in filter mount.

Register Sign in to join the conversation