Other Guitars

Les Paul Special w/ P90s Your Thoughts and Mine

Went to Costco yesterday and had no plan on going to GC but GC was next to Costco so I went in because I know they have a circa 1959 Kay Upbeat that I tried before and wanted to try again. It needs real work on the setup and it actually is dead electronically. Has pickups and wiring but no sound. It used to when I tried it before. Frustrated with that I looked up on the wall. Was never interested in the Les Paul Jr and Special types of guitars but rather the Les Paul Custom '54 or Goldtops. Out of curiosity took the Special with P90s off the wall and plugged into a Vox AC10 as well as a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Oh man it was great. The P90s sounded so good. I tried my hand at a little "Rock Around The Clock" and some Elvis Presley material as best I could and I loved the tone. Oh a little "Johnny B. Goode" as well. I know with rockabilly you can use a solid body or hollow or in-between, or a semi-hollow which is in between. I've always been partial to hollow bodies though but I could see having this for the purposes of rockabilly and hollow body not necessary but I'd never give up my Guild X-175, Gretsch Country Club, or Kay Swingmaster. But if I had just one guitar I think this could work out. Even tried my hand at some pseudo Sex Pistols like material but no not actual songs but mimicking that sound and type of song, although Jones mimicked The Dolls, so I guess it goes back that far.

Any of you like the Les Paul Special (or Jr) with P90 for rockabilly and overall guitar in general? I bet jazz would work on it too.

Like this -

Excellent guitars. I've owned two. One, an Orville, I should not have sold. The other was a later Gibson, didn't impress as much.

The LP Special formula is one I thought would be perfect for me, but somehow isn't. Recently I put together a 2 x p90 partscaster tele, spanish cedar body, which is perfect. I think it's the tone change from set neck to bolt-on, and that scale difference. Optimizes what those cool P90s can do.

That said, I miss the Orville, and would love to try another of that quality.

mad dog, I was surprised at how much better the LP Special P90 model felt and sounded than say a Les Paul Gold Top P90 model or Les Paul Custom P90 model. Not sure why. Maybe not as thick? The neck was simple as in not bound. I don't think that could have to do with it but hey, maybe.

Some of the best guitar sounds I have ever heard have come from old Juniors. I've played a lot of them because they are a favourite of friends of mine. One friend now plays a Historic Junior after having owned a few old '50s examples and he loves it. I know the single cut Juniors and Specials are supposed to sound better but for me it has to be the double cut.

For a great Special - type guitar try a Collings 290:

My favorite Les Paul by far! Can’t go wrong with P90...

Joao, who makes that one? The headstock is not Gibson I think.

The Agile I had was built well but didn't sound right. Sounded like a Strat for some reason, even after installing genuine Gibson P90s.

Joao, who makes that one? The headstock is not Gibson I think.

The Agile I had was built well but didn't sound right. Sounded like a Strat for some reason, even after installing genuine Gibson P90s.

– ThePolecats

It’a a Brazilian custom shop builders. Pretty cool stuff: https://www.instagram.com/d...

I love lower output p90s. Their fat mid range sounds great when played along with a Fender or a Gretsch. I really like them in a neck position for lead type stuff. That said, my Jr. gets more attention because of it's simplicity.

When I was younger and reckless, I found a cool old Kay with the same issues as the one you were talking about. I hacked it up and installed some dog ear p90s in it. Sad that I messed up a cool old original guitar, but I still love it today because of the sound it makes....so, I forgive myself.

I picked up a used ‘99 special w/ p90s on it, and mini trapazoid neck markings. It looks like what Bob Marley’s LPS would have looked new. Very pretty guitar, and sounds amazing. It’s a great workhorse. When I plug it into my plexi head, it growls. Lesley West’s(mountain) tone nailed.....It was an impulse buy to help me cope with my wife leaving for Iraq that week. My buddies band was going to Atomic Music to pick up some amps and cabs, and I drove because I had the biggest car. While they were shopping, I looked up on the wall, and there she was. I asked to play it, strummed an A chord, and said; “Does it have a case? I’ll take it....”. Didn’t even plug it in till I got home...

The LP goldtop has always been a dream of mine, and I picke one of those up to ‘celebrate’ my wife’s return from Iraq. She wasn’t as amused with that explanation, but she didn’t make me take it back

The gold top is a ‘53 reissue with a rap around tail piece/bridge. Very pretty, fat baseball bat neck and plays like a dream. Both examples are great guitars in my opinion...

You can't go too far wrong with a Gibby slab with P-90s. I much prefer them to Les Pauls, just for their down to earth simplicity.

I have it on good authority that an LP Special with P-90's is good for reggae too:

Had a '56 in TV Yellow. It was a great guitar. Had it for about 5 years before finances forced me to sell. Miss that one.

P-90s are the rock n roll pickup.

LOVE LP Specials. Owned one for a few years back in the 90's and sold it (probably to help pay for a Gretsch; can't remember the details now). I played a lot of shows with it. I've always regretted letting it go. ThePolecats, you should buy that guitar!

I love lower output p90s. Their fat mid range sounds great when played along with a Fender or a Gretsch. I really like them in a neck position for lead type stuff. That said, my Jr. gets more attention because of it's simplicity.

When I was younger and reckless, I found a cool old Kay with the same issues as the one you were talking about. I hacked it up and installed some dog ear p90s in it. Sad that I messed up a cool old original guitar, but I still love it today because of the sound it makes....so, I forgive myself.

– hilosean

Me too Hilosean! I solo alot and most of it is in the neck position....for my Strats, both neck and neck/middle.

I like that "warmth/full-body" sound. From an LP? It's Gilmour's tone on the "Another Brick In the Wall" from his '50s LP goldtop. My experience is that a maple cap helps "warm' the tone so that is why I haven't received what I want from the LP Special. I also like a very thick neck profile.

I love my Edwards LP goldtop with P90s but the output is higher than I would like. I want more "smooth" and less "honk" so I'm going to look at the stock Gibsons as well as lower output from Lollar and Fralin.

One of the all time greats -- I''m a fan.

– charlie chitlins

Nice, what pickups are those? Those replaced P90s or Gibson Mini-humbuckers.

Les Paul Specials and Les Paul Juniors are my favorite sounding Les Pauls.

This is my current #1 guitar for gigging (well, along with my 6120N). Surf green Telecaster with two Jason Lollar HB-sized P-90s. This guitar sounds SO GOOD with virtually no effects (save some occasional delay) into my Blues Cube Artist. The P-90s are pretty hot at ~10K and have a gutsy mid-range twang that's perfect for modern country, blues, and rock and roll. Gibson P-90s are probably a bit milder than this, but Lollar also sells hot soap bar P-90s.

Nice, what pickups are those? Those replaced P90s or Gibson Mini-humbuckers.

– ThePolecats

It's a P90 and a DeArmond 2000 in a cut-up P90 cover. Whoever dasigned/made those 2000s really hit it out of the park, IMO.

I have a Gibson LP Tribute with P-90s - nice guitar. But a year ago I picked up a new Epiphone LP Special with 2 P-90s on sale at Guitar Center for $79. I was going to eventually give it to my grandson. He's only 7, so obviously I don't need much of an excuse to buy a guitar. But after I soldered a loose jack wire, sanded the rough frets/fretboard and did a setup the darn thing is a great playing guitar and the pickups are very decent. It's the worn cherry mahogany body. Not sure now when/if my grandson will get the guitar.

Yes you who say that P90 guitars are the rock n roll guitar is so right.

If you find yourself with one of those first gen Electromatic Projets, you can drop a couple of soap bars in it with very little effort....Then, you can have a P90 GretschPaul.....

LOVE LP Specials. Owned one for a few years back in the 90's and sold it (probably to help pay for a Gretsch; can't remember the details now). I played a lot of shows with it. I've always regretted letting it go. ThePolecats, you should buy that guitar!

– reverb11

I would love to buy one. Spent too much on equipment recently but it's on my radar and maybe in 6 or 7 months I can get one.

Register Sign in to join the conversation