Other Guitars

Les Paul insanity/mayhem

Well with the Gibson news last week, this pix came up of Les and Mary w/ 1st year 1952 models. What's going on w/ the soapbar P-90s? Hers appears to have 2 output jacks, a capped off control, and a chicken head knob. His has all that plus some crazy vibrato gizmo?

Les was an early leader in electric guitar innovation. Hard telling what he tried on those guitars.

DeArmond pickups under P90 covers.

Les was an early leader in electric guitar innovation. Hard telling what he tried on those guitars.

– wabash slim

Right. For all we know, Les may have been trying to perfect the first "Guitar Hero" game controller for dueling players...

The vibrato is a Kaufmann Vib-Rola that debuted in the mid 30's

And forgive my tablet photo size, but that sure looks like a Dearmond in Mary's.

The vibrato is a Kaufmann Vib-Rola that debuted in the mid 30's

And forgive my tablet photo size, but that sure looks like a Dearmond in Mary's.

– spike

It does---and on LP's as well. On my old tablet with my old bifocals I thought those were staples. Good eyes, you guys!

And for anybody taking a gig in a LP/MF tribute duo, TV Jones can help you get your goldtops to correct specs.

I dig the ES 175 tailpiece on Mary’s guitar!

Carl Perkins also had a gold top with a trapeze, if I recall correctly.

Looks like Mary's gone wirelwss! Here's my homemade Lester tribute. It really does sound killer. No way was I going to try drilling all those holes in the right places.

My '52 Goldtop had the trapeze tailpiece, but everything on it was in much worse condition.

I got it from a guy that played Prog Rock with a spiked iron gauntlet on his forearm.

Tore the top of that guitar to pieces.

As Paul stated in post #8... that’s not the early regular Les Paul trapeze tailpiece (as it was on Carl Perkins‘) on Mary‘s guitar but one seen on Gibson hollow-bodies like the ES175 usually. Very interesting.

My fav les/mary is the part two of three. Abbot abd costello colgare hour. On you tube. I learned that song by heart, just not the antics. Les breaks a string at the end and mary almost pees herself laughing. Live tv!

And for anybody taking a gig in a LP/MF tribute duo, TV Jones can help you get your goldtops to correct specs.

– Afire

I'm seeing how my new job goes but if I get to hear what I'm chasing after a good deal on a used P90 LP and getting these!

I'm seeing how my new job goes but if I get to hear what I'm chasing after a good deal on a used P90 LP and getting these!

– NJDevil

I am going to try them in my Cabronita, see how the T90 compares to the TA, someday.

– NJDevil

When I secretly fantasize about straying from Gretsch, one of the guitars I dream of is a Les Paul goldtop, wraparound bridge replaced with a B7 and dogbone Bigsby bridge, and a pair of T-Armonds.

Register Sign in to join the conversation