Other Guitars

latest demented obsession — Phantom bass

https://reverb.com/item/150...

always liked these altho you have to be careful buying Eko Vox or Eko anything.

Anyone know what these single coil Eko bass pickups are like? I am sure there are Modern-World drop in upgrades.

I haven't played an Eko or Vox bass but I have played an Eastwood version of it (which miraculously played like an actual guitar and not an Eastwood)

Tiny TINY body (obviously) but fits the goofy shape/retro vibe easy.

I was thinking of picking one of those Ekos up at one point but I've got enough frivolous gear for now. Lol

My post is no help - sorry.

The early recordings by these guys might give a clue to the sound. Phil "Fang" Volk on Vox bass.

I had a Vox Phantom IV Bass in the 1990s. I don't recall it having a lot of presence but it's been a long time. I remember as a non bass player not really liking that wide Precision-ish neck and selling it in circa 2000 and going for a Vox Cougar bass instead because I wanted something with an easier to play thinner neck. My brother used it in our music video but never played with it live, always used an old Precision which is suggestive.

Some Vox basses had the thinnest necks in history of electric bass.

Well there were a very few UK Phantoms before they went to Eko.

What's killing me in this Raiders pix tho it looks like the guitar is a doubleneck!

Never knew of any Vox doubleneck -- UK or Italian.

Yes upon looking closely it is a Mosrite. Raiders were Vox endorses, even before the Thomas amps got here in early '66. I don't know when the Eko Vox guitars started...I think UK Vox got that going before anything with Thomas got going.

never played a Phantom bass, but my second wife had a short-scale Vox bass that was absolutely delightful. folks might not like the slim, short-scale neck, but i loved it.

I would seriously question that the Vox Phantom IV is what is heard on the PR & TR recordings. Assuming that session musicians were not used like the Wrecking Crew, then I expect that instruments used to record were what was thought best, not necessarily the Vox stuff that the band had to be photographed with per their endorsement.

I would seriously question that the Vox Phantom IV is what is heard on the PR & TR recordings. Assuming that session musicians were not used like the Wrecking Crew, then I expect that instruments used to record were what was thought best, not necessarily the Vox stuff that the band had to be photographed with per their endorsement.

– knavel

That's totally possible.

Sometimes stuff in vids / TV isn't what was used.

Case in point -- not sure who it was here-- maybe Dr. Gretsch - actually knew the guy in Syndicate of Sound ("Hey Little Girl") who was on the electric 12 -- and he told him even tho it's a Rick 12 in the vid, he used a Fender 12 on the actual recording.

Case in point -- not sure who it was here-- maybe Dr. Gretsch - actually knew the guy in Syndicate of Sound ("Hey Little Girl") who was on the electric 12 -- and he told him even tho it's a Rick 12 in the vid, he used a Fender 12 on the actual recording.

That's right I remember that and I think you are correct that it was Dr. Gretsch who said so.

I know you like wide nut necks so you might like the Phantom bass as I remember that Precision-like aspect of the one I had.

I'm in the "Vintage Vox Guitars of the 1960s" Facebook group. If you are on FB you might consider joining, as a lot of cool stuff I have never seen before goes up all the time. There is even a guy who worked at the factory at Sepulveda who turned up for a while whose job was to do the customization for the endorsees. He has some pretty cool stories. And of course you can ask questions, there is a guy there who knows literally everything.

That's right I remember that and I think you are correct that it was Dr. Gretsch who said so.

I know you like wide nut necks so you might like the Phantom bass as I remember that Precision-like aspect of the one I had.

I'm in the "Vintage Vox Guitars of the 1960s" Facebook group. If you are on FB you might consider joining, as a lot of cool stuff I have never seen before goes up all the time. There is even a guy who worked at the factory at Sepulveda who turned up for a while whose job was to do the customization for the endorsees. He has some pretty cool stories. And of course you can ask questions, there is a guy there who knows literally everything.

– knavel

Actually I was one of the guys who was behind the start of the Thomas Vox FB group but don't hang there now.

Just heard that one of the Syndicate of Sound guys passed -- maybe it was the singer.

True the Phantom neck was more P Bass like than some of the super skinny ones!

But I am pay-as-you-go at the moment -- not really getting anything until one of a few different guitars and amps does sell. so it may be a while before a Phantom bass rolls in here.

There will always be another one for sale.

I made a Vox decal for the replacement pickguard on my friend's Phantom IV a couple of years ago. He even had the blue striped vinyl accessory pouch inside it's original case. It was a fun bass to play, but a bit awkward to hold.
Btw, Phil Volk changed out the neck of his Phantom to a Fender Precision. Later, he went back to his Höfner bass.

Well all the original guards shrank and cracked so replacement guards are the order of the day and very cool you can make those decals to look like the original type style.

I had heard that Eko Vox necks had truss rod issues, etc. and many just didnt' hold up that well.

Yep Fang was the guy to put this bass on the map.

Voxshowroom.com has the answers!

http://www.voxshowroom.com/...

Register Sign in to join the conversation