Other Guitars

Kluson question

I wondered if anyone is making 3 on plate plastic button Kluson style tuners that were on a lot of Gibsons on the day. The actually Kluson reissue ones are good but still having some tuning probs on the MM 3/4.

Riight now it has 10-52. Maybe 11s will solve the issue on this 22.5 shortie but if there were hi-end Kluson looking ones, that would also be worth a try.

I have these Gotohs on my Clipper, and they work great.

What kinda tuning problems are you having?

Stew Mac had some; they looked to be pretty authentic. If you can find vintage Waverly tuners, get them. They are excellent even though they are the standard 12:1 ratio. My '59 Clipper came with them and they are much better than the Klusons (deluxe?) of that era.

A good article, an attractive story requires the author to have a good sense and a keen eye to have an insight into it. I am very impressed with your article. atari breakout

I have these Gotohs on my Clipper, and they work great.

What kinda tuning problems are you having?

– Otter

I might try those Gotohs on this next MM.

Its just on G B and E and not much string bending. I have a lite touch and don't hit hard.

First will try gong form 10/13/17 to 11/14/18. That might do the trick. 11's on this short scale are like 10s on normal scale. If the problem persists then will try tuners, check tne nut, etc.

My '59 Clipper came with them and they are much better than the Klusons (deluxe?) of that era.

the Klusons on my '68 ES-335 were terrible. seriously, the no-name 3-on-a-plate tuners on my $135 Epiphone acoustic were more accurate and held tuning better. there's a reason why everybody and their uncle used to replace them with Grover Rotomatics. i gather that the new ones are much better, and i'll probably swap the old ones out once i get her back from Curt.

Well it sure seemed going up to 11 14 18 over 10 13 17 made the difference -- why this would matter, not sure but it sure seems to be better in holding tune. Bass strings were ok.

Register Sign in to join the conversation