Other Guitars

Kay/Silvertone Hot Rod (Kleenex Box pickup content)

A couple of months ago, I got a 1955-ish Kay-made Silvertone "1365" Hollowbody from a guy on Reverb. I got a pretty good deal on it, and the cool thing is that it had just had a fresh neck reset and medium jumbo refret.

I've always drooled over pictures of Kay Barney Kessel sig. guitars, but the prices those guitars fetch are ridiculous and way above my budget. As these Kay made silvertones use a laminated version of the same body, I got this and had my tech add a vintage pair of Kay Kleenex box pickups to it. (and an Embiematic Melita bridge and a Bigsby B6)

I just got it back this week, and it turned out better than I could have hoped, it plays great, and I love the way it sounds. These pickups are seriously LOUD by the way - amp is not turned up very high in this clip!

Looks great. Sounds great too. You know I've always been a fan of those Silvertone archtops.

this is how it looks up close :

nice..classic jump blues tone!...and look

evokes your paladins man dave gonzalez

enjoy

cheers

ps- what's cooler than cupcakes!

I thought the Paladins guy was all about Guild

Looks and sounds great. Someone should do repros of those pickups and do them right. Just beautiful.

I'm pretty sure Curtis Novak does repros, I've seen them on his FB page!

I had this one for awhile and gigged it a few times. REALLY fun guitar with lots of great sounds. It disappeared under the "ya just can't keep 'em all" rule.

Very cool, Walter! And I love the way it sounds.

Pretty cool! Out of curiosity: Why the Melita type on this?

A couple of things Sascha, I'd gotten into Tune-A-matics with nylon saddles, and while I didn't expect to, I liked those a LOT. You still get a lot of brightness and twang (but less harshness), I had the impression it worked well for Bigsby use, and I break less strings.

So that, and the fact the kay kessels had them made me try it. I like it, sounds good, stays in tune like a champ, looks cool.

It's actually a Gretsch synchro bridge body with Embie saddles, saddle clips, screws and base. I had a complete embie that i'd gotten to try on one of my Guilds (but I didn't like it on that guitar, and the top arch was all wrong for the base) but that was 9.5" radius - this guitar's radius is around 13", so that's where the Gretsch bridge body came in. It's pinned to the guitar's top btw.

I'm pretty sure Curtis Novak does repros, I've seen them on his FB page!

– WB

That's awesome. Because I am sure he does them right.

same guitar w stock pickups that sucked. Your new pickups sound incredible on that guitar and the low end is very full and articulate..something I dont hear even on my aristocrat w the DeArmond FHC pickup. btw.. how did you avoid the tone rails w the installation?

I've heard the kleenex pickups are similar to Mosrite pickups, and I can tell you my Mosrites are a lot louder than my other guitars. Sounds great!

Yours a Silvertone branded one too Tavo, or Kay? it's beautiful in natural! The two braces under the top sit very far apart on my guitar, no need to cut into it at all. My tech had to McGyver some to install the pickups because of Kay's funny mounting brace/system, but it worked out beautifully.

Fritz, yes, they're easily the loudest pickups I have.

I thought the Paladins guy was all about Guild

– DCBirdMan

i meant tone and how wb was playing it..that first blues esp...

tho they do both love guilds!!

and btw dave gonzalez has been known to use a kay kleenex..in fact he has represented fritz brothers kay repros at namm

cheers

kleenex pup use basic p90 format...screw polepieces and bar magnets..but instead of #42 wire, they use thinner #43 or 44..so they get a lot of wraps around the large bobbin, driving the resistance specs way up to 12k +...whereas a "normal" p 90 comes in around 8k

and yes mosrite did similar thin wire winds

cheers

Yours a Silvertone branded one too Tavo, or Kay? it's beautiful in natural! The two braces under the top sit very far apart on my guitar, no need to cut into it at all. My tech had to McGyver some to install the pickups because of Kay's funny mounting brace/system, but it worked out beautifully.

Fritz, yes, they're easily the loudest pickups I have.

– WB

silvertone

btw,, just shared your vid on the jump blues forum and a cat in your village goes (I hadnt shared who was playing yet) that guitar sounds like a vintage guild w franz pickups! I had to laugh out loud, because your fingers must have guild blood in them for this guy to hear that. I did finally tell him who it was and what you generally play. too funny.

Cool! What's the scale length on those Walter?

That's pretty funny Tavo! It doesn't sound much like my Guilds, it's fatter sounding and more agressive. what forum is that?

JBJ, it's long! Haven't measured, but it's longer than a strat. I'm guessing close to 26"

Interesting, so you have some good tension there, I thought I was hearing some string length there.

Let's see some full size pics! The video is too zoomed in

Edit: oops they were there all along. Photobucket is blocked at work, so I couldn't see them.

Looks n sounds great. Is it gritty through the amp or pedal?

Register Sign in to join the conversation