Other Guitars

Kay 6175

Anyone have any experience with a decent Kay flat top?

This reminds me of a Gretsch without being Gretsch at all. Perhaps the finish? I don't know.

I have a similar one, albeit a bit older. Sounds and looks cool! Needs a neck set.

I've got a '59 Kay Jumbo as well.

An older co-worker gave it to me. He got it as a birthday present and never played it.

Thought I’d add mine in even though its not a jumbo.

The 6175 is about the same size as my J-50

Wildeman here, I've got this one. Its from '59 and called a Calypso model, its got a great big neck and its actually X braced which is rare for a Kay.

Some of these pickguard shapes are entertaining. Slight derail but they reminded me of that funky Sovereign that Ryan Adams plays.

Love Ryan and this tune as well. Somehow it seems perfect with some extra fret buzz.

While it feels smaller than my Gibson J-50, it's the same size, more or less, with just a slightly different shape.

Officially gig tested, and passed with flying colors!

Curt installed a K&K mini with a hidden volume control in the sound hole and took care of a small crack in the top.

It sounded good at the shop through one of Curt's amps, but until you're going through a PA system, you just don't know for sure.

Well, now I do. As I was worried that the top end sounded a bit thin, my apprehension was washed away after the first few chords strummed.

Those K&K's really deliver an extremely full bodied sound, without any misrepresentation of what the guitar you're playing actually sounds like.

I'd recommend these to anyone looking to play an acoustic in a band environment. Passive(which for me is a giant advantage) never sounded so good to me, acoustically speaking.

That Kay has a unique tone and as usual the K&K captures it. Greg, who’s playing in the attached vid came in and played a couple of his K&K equipped guitars, it’s pretty much all I sell.

That Kay has a unique tone and as usual the K&K captures it. Greg, who’s playing in the attached vid came in and played a couple of his K&K equipped guitars, it’s pretty much all I sell.

– Curt Wilson

It's amazing.

Ever since you installed the K&K, I play just like that!

Thanks, Curt, you're a smurfing wizard!

Register Sign in to join the conversation