Other Guitars

Jazzmasters

My favorite jazzmaster is probably the most heretic of all: a Squier Affinity Jazzmaster with humbuckers and no tremolo.

That DLX I got actually has some pretty noisy pickups. I'm not sure if I'm just dealing with a Squier and need to pony up for better pickups or just go with a higher quality guitar. Looks great, sounds great, but pickups pickup a lot of interference.

That DLX I got actually has some pretty noisy pickups. I'm not sure if I'm just dealing with a Squier and need to pony up for better pickups or just go with a higher quality guitar. Looks great, sounds great, but pickups pickup a lot of interference.

– Devil's Tool

Jazzmasters are notorious for hum. First put shielding on the pick guard. Even if you upgrade the pickups later, you will still need the shielding.

Are there custom tremolo arms, like low profile or with a different bend?

I'm in such trouble, I keep eyeing more Jazzmasters. lol

Fun guitars! The entire rhythm/lead circuit is so strange and cool at the same time.

I see there is Vibramate V5-Jam. I wonder how well that works?

Ric- Basically an AVRI Jag. I forget what year they were based on,but it's like the early ones-unbound neck,except it has bigger frets and the thinner finish. IIRC Wildwood told me they commissioned a batch of ThinSkin Jaguars.The price was about the same,maybe a little less than the AVRI's,so I'm assuming they came from regular production.They had 8 Shell Pink ones left when I bought mine. I'd like to play it live for a couple of sets and "burn it in",so to speak but haven' had the chance.

Loving my new Squier VM Jazzmaster I found on CraigsList two weeks ago...cheap. Other than the above Tahitian Coral, this is my favorite color so far. Mint.

A bunch of stuff.

What do you think of the Silver Burst with the ebony fretboard? I don’t think it would work with anything but a black pickguard.

The Professional guitars don’t have the same upper cavity. Is it wide enough to stuff one or two thumbwheels in there? Could you also mount the sliding switch sideways?

How much would it cost to re-radius a 9.5” fretboard to 12”? How deep are the fret markers?

How much is a refinish, perhaps solid black?

How could you make fake pole pieces? Aluminum rod?

Maybe like this, but with roller controls. [It's hard to draw black hardware on a black pickguard]

I just received a Fender add today for a Jazz Tele. $2000. Not gonna do it but cool.

Love my Jazzmasters!

Here is my '63 Fender Jazzmaster (refin'd in Candy Apple Red by previous owner):

Here it is with my Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster (refin'd in Shell Pink), Fender American Vintage '65 Thinskin Jazzmaster (from Wildwood with 9.5 neck radius in Ocean Turquoise), Fender Johnny Marr Signature Jaguar (refin'd in Fiesta Red), and my '65 Fender Mustang (in original Blue Sparkle finish), with a special appearance by my Gretsch Vintage Select Country Club that I won last year at the Nashville Roundup...

I recently worked a trade with another vintage Fender guy for my '62 Fender Jag where along with a '66 Fender Mustang, I acquired this beauty...a Fender '62 Reissue Thinskin Jazzmaster in Sonic Blue with white rollers and switch, and an abalone pickguard that is quite lovely. While it sounds glorious, the '62 Reissue necks are just too slim for me so I'll be moving this one on soon. I let go of the '62 Jag since I recently acquired my dream '63 Fender Jag (with a chunkier neck than the slim '62 neck - it's the Olympic White Jag in the last photo (refin'd by previous owner).

I love that Ocean Turquoise and matching headstock.

You da Jazzmanster, Snorre!

When it’s time to move Abalone Sonic along, do let me know. I don’t know if I’ll be in the mood (or the money) by then, but it does appeal.

– hammerhands

Thanks, hammerhands, plays as nice as she looks, too!

Snorre - gorgeous guitars!

– Devil's Tool

Thanks!

You da Jazzmanster, Snorre!

When it’s time to move Abalone Sonic along, do let me know. I don’t know if I’ll be in the mood (or the money) by then, but it does appeal.

– Proteus

Thanks, Tim. I'll email you soon!

– hammerhands

Me too,gorgeous!

Me too,gorgeous!

– JCHiggy

Make that 3.

I had a '59 Jazzmaster years ago. It was badly refinished and a little ratty to boot, so I traded it off. Years later I saw Arch Hall, Jr. ("Wild Guitar", "Eegah") playing a White Jazzmaster, so when Fender reissued them, I decided to buy a Fender AVRI Olympic White JM. I was talking to Arch and asked him if he still owned his. He said he never did care for it and liked the Telecaster much better. I noticed that shortly after our discussion he acquired another Jazzmaster.

Here's mine. FABULOUS guitar!

Register Sign in to join the conversation