Other Guitars

Jazzmasters

No, but the mastery will solve any tone/tuning/stability/reliability issues you have. They are great, just expensive. If you're going to perform with it though, they're worth the reliability and tuning stability.

All I have is my Telemaster.

I went stock-as-a-stove with my AVRI,but took a walk (slightly) on the wild side with my Wildwood ThinSkin.

Two basic questions:

How do you plug it in?

What does it look like under there...oh...Is it reliable to mount the jack on the pickguard? Oh, I see there is some kind of a plate under there?

That looks like it's probably just shielding tape. Some vintage ones have a plate between the pg and the body however. The fact that there isn't a plate isn't a problem, many guitars and basses have jacks mounted to the pg.

I went stock-as-a-stove with my AVRI,but took a walk (slightly) on the wild side with my Wildwood ThinSkin.

– DaveH

Dave, I just love that Jaguar. If I had seen one like that one, I would have bought it for sure. Love the matching headstock. I called Wildwood and asked the owner about whether they would be doing any more thinskin Jaguars and he told me that they would not -- they would continue to order Jazzmasters like that, but no more Jaguars. I think that they didn't move fast enough and they had too much money tied up in the inventory waiting for them to sell.

That Jaguar is the AVRI '62, right?

The thing I learned about Jazzmasters is that you have to tame down the pickups a little or they can sound too bright and glassy, especially the newer ones, now.

It's the pickup design ,,, Wide windings around the parameters.

Older, 60's Jazzmasters aren't that bad though ,,, maybe cause they are aged?

I don't have that issue with Jaguars though,

i found that Every Guitar has it's Sweet Spots,

Especially the Gibson Jazzboxes, Super 400s and the like.

I remember playing a Jazz Master and a Vox teardrop 9 string when buying my Gemini 2 in 1967, but insisting on a Gretsch. The Xavier clone is as close to owning a real JM as I got, but I like it.

I built a Partsmaster using the original Blacktop Jazzmaster with the humbucker bridge and a Jazzmaster neck pickup as the foundation. I found a body on eBay and I had the Strat neck custom made by another eBay seller from Brooklyn. The neck has a 12" radius and has a 24.75" scale length. Because of the 12" radius I was able to put a standard Tuneomatic style bridge on it. I went in the opposite direction with the wiring from normal Jazzmasters and wired it hot rod style with two volumes and no tone. The pickups are a Fender Blacktop humbucker in the bridge and a Duncan Designed Jazzmaster neck pickup. They sound good and both really blend well together. The pickguard is aluminum from Tone-Guard. I basically wanted to build a Fender Les Paul and I believe this guitar fills that sonic space quite well.

I was out trying some Jazzmasters today.

The vibrato seemed a bit faster, a bit harder to control than a Bigsby?

I've been looking a lot lately at Jazzmasters and Jaguars. Both appealing in their own way. I had a thought: what if you could add Jaguar pickups to a Jazzmaster? I mean, add a Jag pickup next to each JM pickup.

I guess the spacing on the pickguard would be a problem - you'd have to customize it, and then maybe shifting their placement would affect the sound/tone.

But imagine - just rewire the top rhythm circuit switches so they control the Jaguar pickups, and the bottom switches control the Jazzmaster pickups, as usual. Voila! Two great guitar sounds in one!

Might look fugly though with all four of those pickups. Ha.

They say a mustang bridge is all you need. Is that true?

The Mascis model is said to be cheap and good?

I like a red, blue and gold one, where the headstock has the same color as the body.

Geoff, this is the best 'bang for the buck' Jazzmaster you might find. It's called the Squier DLX Jazzmaster. Available in candy apple red only, either with or without the vibrato. It's even a lot cheaper than the Mascis (€349 at Thomann at the moment) but almost identical in terms of specs. You'd like it.

Looked at the Squier DLX Jazzmaster recently but settled on the standard Squier VM model. I intend to replace the rather 'all or nothing' volume pot and have the nut fettled to take a set of 11-52 -- maybe a Staytrem bridge, too. I once tried a Mustang bridge on a Squier Jaguar -- the bridge radius didn't match the fingerboard radius.

mascis and squier dlx take some liberties with original jazzmaster design..they use a tuneamatic bridge and move the vibrato closer to the bridge....changes the dynamics

the mascis uses p90 type pickups(slugs & bar magnets) not fendery jazzmaster type pickups (alnico magnet polepieces)...not sure abt dlx

mascis jms are really nice solidly built great sounding guitars...just know they have been "modernized" from the classic design

the vm is great bang for the buck/pound/euro..and pretty true to the original design

bridge problems can be taken care of via amazon (cheap but clever) "jazzmaster bridges"- that allow for intonation AND saddle height adjustment..with a single slotted saddle surface area....

classic jm bridges uses screw type saddles (which "light" strings jump out of)

mustang replacements have no individual saddle height adjust..so the radius can be off

jazzmasters trad came with 12 flats!

cheers

amazon sold bridge-

Local shop was blowing out the cherry DLX squier (with trem) so I picked it up.

I like it a lot, it's my first serious foray into Fender territory.

G&L has now come out with their own version, adapting their pickups to the Jazzmaster format:

They announced a Tribute Series model at NAMM but I haven't seen anything on it since.

ps- brand new bill frisell album...jazzmastermania

music is-

cheers

I think the early '60's ones were my favorites

Being old, I think I declared myself a guitar player about 1960.

So, the Sunburst Jazzmasters of that era:

Bob Bogle Neil LaVang Roy Clark

Some other colors:

Rich Fifield (of the Astronauts) Lonnie Mack (not of anything he recorded, I think.)

Lee

It had sported a white primer coat for years. I stripped that off and found the body date (10-59) for the first time, so sunburst was the only real option.

I went with a softer transition from dark to light than was typical in '59. I think it looks better, and there are some examples that look like this.

Thanks Sascha for the tip. And Neatone for the extra info. I have forbidden myself to buy anything until I can play some song.

I collected Jazzmasters back in the 1980's and had many of the cool custom colors but the hands down rarest of them all was this one I bought in 1986 from the original owner. It was in near mint condition and my jaw dropped when he showed it to me. He bought it in 1964 and got drafted the next year and married after leaving the military. The guitar stayed in his parents closet for the next twenty years! When I removed the pick guard to check underneath, on a piece of masking tape supporting the wires, it was hand written Tahitian Coral. There was never any question about originality. To this day I regret selling it a few years later and often wonder where it ended up? Pics will have to suffice.

Here's a pic of the back. Actual color was more coral than orange.

Register Sign in to join the conversation