Other Guitars

it’s jinxed

Well like a posted a while ago I am selling a 2008 Custom Shop Les Paul Axcess w/ Floyd Rose for a couple whose son went to college, and prefers his G&L.

I figured the Floyd Rose puts this squarely in the heavy metal camp -- but I gotta say never has any guitar I ever had for sale had more flake-outs, bought twice/no pay, weird messages, stoner communications, etc. absurd lo-ball offers, trade-for-my-Jackson etc. kinda stuff.

But gonna hold out to try and net them $2250 after the reverb/paypal bite. We'll see how it goes.

You're bringing the shredders out, eh?

That's funny!

I was selling an amplifier head last year and had the same kind of experience. I made the mistake of setting my Reverb listing to worldwide shipping. I don't mind shipping international if they pay for it, eBay works better for this, Reverb I found....not so much.

After a bunch of tire kickers, false starts, non payments, it sold to a guitar store..... in Dubai. I'm on the West coast of the US! The Reverb system added like $80 to the purchase price automatically for the shipping, and that was it!

It ended up costing something like $195 to ship so I was out only $100 or so, so I let it go. Lesson learned though.

If you want to have some "fun," post something for sale on Facebook Marketplace. I put some PA speakers up for $900 for the pair and got lots of offers, for $450-$600. One guy kept texting me "$700, come on!" every day. Another guy said "I only have $600, it's for my church." I replied and said "I talked to God, he said buy a pair of Peaveys and he'll make them sound good in church." Finally, someone on craigslist came over and picked them up for close to the asking price. Another lesson learned.

If you want to have some "fun," post something for sale on Facebook Marketplace. I put some PA speakers up for $900 for the pair and got lots of offers, for $450-$600. One guy kept texting me "$700, come on!" every day. Another guy said "I only have $600, it's for my church." I replied and said "I talked to God, he said buy a pair of Peaveys and he'll make them sound good in church." Finally, someone on craigslist came over and picked them up for close to the asking price. Another lesson learned.

– giffenf

I learned long ago not to deal with any churches that aren't mainline. I was working at an electronics parts house that covered everything from loose resistors and caps to complete electronic packages.

These two guys came in, started ordering a very extensive PA system with every well and whistle imaginable. I gave them the total figure and asked how'd they be paying for the purchase. They looked dumbfounded and then said that God told them it'd be donated.

I tore the paperwork up in front of them and walked away.

I blame the smartphone. People who normally wouldn't bother with internet (like drug addicts and crazies) now have 24/7 internet access and they have a lot of time and are easily bored.

I learned long ago not to deal with any churches that aren't mainline. I was working at an electronics parts house that covered everything from loose resistors and caps to complete electronic packages.

These two guys came in, started ordering a very extensive PA system with every well and whistle imaginable. I gave them the total figure and asked how'd they be paying for the purchase. They looked dumbfounded and then said that God told them it'd be donated.

I tore the paperwork up in front of them and walked away.

– wabash slim

Interesting choice of words --- "churches that aren't 'mainline'" calls to mind Karl Marx's quote about religion being the opiate of the masses.

Isn't Marxism a religion?

– beatbyrd

It's become one for a lot of people, but when Marx said that, it hadn't got there yet.

As Marxists go, I prefer Groucho.

back when i was in high school i read The Communist Manifesto and my reaction was "this isn't politics, it's a secularized religion with the Dictatorship Of The Proletariat substituted for the Immanent God." i was a weird kid.

Not so weird ---- and plenty observant. Orwell's novels went to lengths to illustrate that, although they also applied to fascism and authoritarianism of every stripe. Wonder what he would have made of Scientology?

Register Sign in to join the conversation