Other Guitars

Is it worth fixing? Curt?

I have been given a very unique opportunity ... a former bandmate, roomie, and lifelong friend passed away a few years ago, and left his wife with a daunting task ... consolidating and selling off his guitar / music instrument / accessory collection. Between her and her son & daughter, they managed to get 120 guitars down to about 40, but now son & daughter have left the roost and "Mom" doesn't have the time, temperment, or knowledge to deal with what's left, so ... she asked me if I could help. So, I've started going thru the collection, taking pictures, writing down notes (model & serial #'s, etc) and then going online to ascertain potential market values. Once I have an assortment ready for public consumption, I'll post it for the GDP'ers 1st, but ... the goal is to sell off the collection without too much regard for R.O.I., so ... "DEALS" will be 1st & foremost in my mind. The collection is Fender heavy (25th, 35th, 40th, 50th Anniversary Strats & Teles, all excellent or even mint condition, in G&G Custom Shop cases, etc. But, there's also some "frankenstrats" and real junk that will get sold off cheap, given away, and even tossed out in the trash. For example ... I have posted a picture of a C.F.Martin D-15 (all mahogany). Made in early 1999, with a cheap case. Its got a totally cracked side. The internet suggests this is a $1300 guitar new ... does it have any value today (after a visit to somebody like Curt) or is this firewood? I'd hate to toss a Martin in the trash, but like I mentioned, the goal here is to get the pieces sold off and gone. Neither she nor I are looking for a full time project. And, sorry, no Gretsches or Rics in the mix, but a Benedetto, ES-335, and a couple nice acoustics. Appreciate your input! Ed

JB Weld and a little Lemon Pledge...no problem.

What's it worth as is ? I always wanted a Martin.

Even if it isn't worth fixing it's too nice to throw away., it'd make a great wall ornament at the very least.

Well, once I get thru the vault and have a complete portfolio of the items, if anybody wants it as a wall ornament, I'll certainly grant their wishes

Some glue and a few clamps ,its only the side so no big deal. If it was the neck that was cracked I'd be somewhat concerned.

Sides don't matter for sound much. I'd glue it and play it.

Well, once I get thru the vault and have a complete portfolio of the items, if anybody wants it as a wall ornament, or to just glue it and play it ... I'll certainly grant their wishes. Melody & I just want it ... gone. Maybe I'll include it as a "buy now and receive a free D-15 ..." with the awesome D-41.

I'd take As said above glue and clamps and it'd likely be a fine player Let me know if you're passing it on

Make sure the neck block and tail block are not cracked as well, I’ve seen more than one guitar with side cracks that either migrated through or originated in one or more of the blocks.

Price, about 50 -100. Fixable. Good beater. These models have good bass end. Martin would repair it, but it would be expensive. Take it to curt for sure.

Melody & I just want it ... gone. Maybe I'll include it as a "buy now and receive a free D-15 ..." with the awesome D-41.

Of course it's up to you only but I wouldn't do it this way. Totally different target groups. Someone who can afford an awesome D-41 could probably easily afford a good condition D-15 on top if he wanted one. I'd give the D-15 to a not so affluent but passionate player who ends up with a great sounding guitar after paying for making it structurally solid.

I’d buy it for a hiking guitar.

OK, I'm getting close to starting to offer this cornucopia of instruments for sale and I need to start getting some stuff out the door, so ... if anybody is interested in this Martin, $100 for the instrument and $50 towards shipping and I'll take it to Pack & Ship next week and send it off to you ... No need for credit checks or Paypal, just mail me a check at your convenience. Let me know

Register Sign in to join the conversation