Other Guitars

Is Gibson In Trouble….??

I worked for the Gibson Custom Shop in the early 2000s and all I can say is - I'm surprised they didn't file for protection earlier with the way its been managed and operating. I choose not to talk publicly about what I experienced and saw first hand, but I can say I'll never buy another one. At least not under the current ownership. Epiphones can be decent and are getting better, and frankly if a little more effort was put into that brand they could do really well. But they don't so as to not compete with themselves. I chose not to support them - But I do hope change will come and revamp and save the brand..... Just my two nickels.

Don't worry these new Les Pauls will save them or maybe not.

– Mr Tubs

hairspray, headbands and tiger-stripe spandex not included.

Did they find those in a dusty corner of the factory, misplaced since 1985?

– Mr Tubs

Really puts the cuss in LP Custom.

Not my style, and not likely to be Gibson's salvation, but I have to admit, I kind of like the new bezel-free 'buckers on a couple 2018 models (though the tradeoff is adjustment screws in the back, if that bothers you).

And I'm always surprised when I look at Gibson's prices. Lots of models at or below Gretsch Proline prices (in some cases, for obvious reasons, though not always). Then there are some models with astronomical prices for no apparent reason.

Gents,can you give a players opinion between Custom Shop and the normal ones?

Not me. I've had a couple CS/Historic Gibsons over the years. I didn't pick them because I expected them to be better made, but rather because they had the specs I wanted. I haven't owned a ton of Gibsons, but of the handful I have owned (maybe 6-8?), I've never had a problem with build quality or QC, whether CS or non-CS.

The dumbest part of all of this is that a good Gibson is one of life's great pleasures. I really hope they get someone in charge who can see that just producing wonderful guitars is enough. There is some inexplicable property a good Gibson has that no other guitar does. How they produce these wonderful things with such inept management is astounding. A case of success in spite of management, not because of it.

My RI ES-225 has so much beauty and nuance in it - it is such a responsive, expressive guitar to play it's ridiculous.

Some of the Historic/CS Les Pauls I have played are as good if not better than the old ones I have played. And a friend of mine who is a LP Junior nut and has owned many original Juniors from '58-60 now plays a '59 CS Junior. It's his favourite of all of them. I happen to like the VOS finish and the CS Les Pauls definitely are better than the regular production Les Pauls. The regular Les Pauls are all well finished and play well but the CS ones are simply more guitar. But when you get into the R9s the $$ are silly.

Look what popped up on my YouTube feed this morning.

(He had me until he said that Jimi Hendrix had been a diehard Gibson player throughout his career.)

There seems to be a different version of this video? I played the embedded file on the GDP and there’s no mention of Hendrix, but when clicked and played on you tube, it does (the subject matter is related, but a diffent version). He is even wearing different clothes, change of location and talks about what they do right as well?

Maybe his channel has many about the same matter and I stumbled upon a different video?

Odd, huh?

Probably a Henry J conspiracy.

Actually, it's there. Check at 4:56.

Oh. I see. Thanks. I thought it had its own topic like the others. My bad. And as I recall, Hendrix played a Gibson SG and a FV in 68-70? I remember he hand painted one of them. Still, Jimi = Strat to most everyone.

Did you see the video is different when clicked on YouTube? If not, I must be high!

No, when I go to the YouTube video, it is there also. I am following the link in the embedded video to the YouTube site. I do that by touching the title of the video at the top of the embedded video screen.

Ah. I must be pushing randomly like a monkey. Thought I was losing it for a minute, there

Thought I was losing it for a minute, there -- gretschman36

Well you could be for unrelated reasons.

Everyday I write down everything I know. Next day I read the list. If I've lost something off the list, I cross it off. Then I forget I've lost it.

– Mr Tubs

Apparently Gibson acquired Skittles during this thread just for the color scheme.

Apparently Gibson acquired Skittles during this thread just for the color scheme.

– crowbone

Or the Power Rangers.

Did they find those in a dusty corner of the factory, misplaced since 1985?

– Afire

Hair metal to the rescue!

Register Sign in to join the conversation