Other Guitars

is anyone eaten up w/ Ovation?

i couldn't remember the composition, so i went with plastic as several other folks have done. the precise material is sort of beside the point other than that fiberglass would assumedly be more dense but have similar reflective qualities. refresh my memory: are the backs textured on the inside like they are on the outside? and if so, are they differently textured? smoothness would also significantly affect the reflectivity.

Wonder if the "deep contour" option is more comfortable to play? These have the back flattened a bit.

The bowls are sort of a dark yellowed white color when they leave the mold. The insides are painted with a flat black sealer paint and the outsides only have the textured "bowl paint". Ovation actually used the bowl paint on the Electric Storm Eclipse.

you know a lot about this topic.

Wonder if the "deep contour" option is more comfortable to play? These have the back flattened a bit.

– Mark G

Pretty sure that was the design purpose of the deep contour bowl. That's the only thing on mine I wish I could change (I have the regular rounded deep bowl).

This thread appeared just in time to add confusion to my current dilemma. There is a '78 USA 1617 Legend in almost mint condition for sale locally for around four + bills. No cracks, scratches, no sign of wear as such. Even the case looks almost new. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but will tomorrow. If I don't take it then, someone else has offered to. For some reason I am drawn to it and I don't know why. I like the ability to just plug in to record (with some electronic mojo added) because my three generation houseful requires set up and tear down almost every session - and the deep bowl makes playing unplugged more appealing. I had an Ovation mandolin that was sweet, and I have played a Balladeer and an Adamas that were enjoyable. Paying less than $500 for a USA-made instrument makes the deal even sweeter.

My problem is this - if I do bond with the guitar and my medium belly doesn't keep me from finding a comfortable playing position, do I take the chance that the top will end up cracking in the dry climate like nearly all do and that what seems like a cool novelty guitar will lose it's luster? Hopefully once I've gone over it carefully, my decision will be as cut & dried as this love 'em or hate 'em topic.

This thread appeared just in time to add confusion to my current dilemma. There is a '78 USA 1617 Legend in almost mint condition for sale locally for around four + bills. No cracks, scratches, no sign of wear as such. Even the case looks almost new. I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but will tomorrow. If I don't take it then, someone else has offered to. For some reason I am drawn to it and I don't know why. I like the ability to just plug in to record (with some electronic mojo added) because my three generation houseful requires set up and tear down almost every session - and the deep bowl makes playing unplugged more appealing. I had an Ovation mandolin that was sweet, and I have played a Balladeer and an Adamas that were enjoyable. Paying less than $500 for a USA-made instrument makes the deal even sweeter.

My problem is this - if I do bond with the guitar and my medium belly doesn't keep me from finding a comfortable playing position, do I take the chance that the top will end up cracking in the dry climate like nearly all do and that what seems like a cool novelty guitar will lose it's luster? Hopefully once I've gone over it carefully, my decision will be as cut & dried as this love 'em or hate 'em topic.

– dlaf_2

my ovations have locking straps, it hangs off your shoulder and lays nicely under your arm. plug it in, thats what its for!

Did you ever get caught up in a guitar frenzy and couldn't quite understand why? Well, things probably worked out for the best in this case. While I was on my way to probably buy the Ovation, the owner sold it to someone else after promising me first shot. At first I was mad, now I'm relieved.

I think I have a new desire, and this one makes sense. Not that I have excess money laying around, but I want another acoustic to play with my 15 year-old grandson who has taken over my 80's Hofner flattop. I won't even mention it again until I have it in hand.

Yes, Dave Mason was FOR SURE an Ovation endorser back in the 70's. He and I were good friends and I would "hang" with he and the band whenever their tour brought them anywhere near Philly. Working for Gretsch at the time I tried desperately to get his endorsement on a Gretsch guitar, but ... to no avail. He wanted me to find him certain Gretsch models to add to his personal collection, but he was legally bound to play his Ovations onstage. I played his entire Ovation arsenal and, they were well made and easy playing. Can't say for sure if they were off the rack or special custom shop pieces .

Register Sign in to join the conversation