Other Guitars

I’m gonna go try a particular Jaguar

24" scale? check. Maple board? check. Tall frets? check. That's enough to get me over to try this American Professional model

But..but..but isn't that long-scale for a Jag?

They are said to be 24" scale. If I am wrong or they are wrong, then yes I will stick with my Duo Sonic and kool Revelation 24" short scale Tele.

BTW the Revelation Jazzmster12 surf green may be back here in a week. What is good is the killer 2 inch wide maple neck ...great for a 12. What isn't good is 25.5 scale, although for 12 string chording isn't quite so dreadful as six string soloing.

Hmm. I thought Jags were 23.5. I suppose I could look it up...or measure mine.

Does the 24" Tele sound like a Tele? Suppose it would with manly enough strings.

23.5 was the Byrdland. Jaguars are 24".

24"! Well WTH d'ya know! I don't know how I'll adjust to one of the pillars of my reality being lengthened half an inch!

At least I can stop wondering why my song with the ridiculous fingering stretch I hoped a Jag would facilitate was so little eased by playing it thereon that I pretty much gave up and just forgot the song. In time I'll forget there even WAS such a song. This may have been a loss of incalculable magnitude to world culture, but it seems not to notice.

If only I'd sought out a Byrdland instead, this timeline might have gone so much differently.

I have the olive color with maple fretboard. The pickups are bolder than my J Marr model but still sound Jagish. The nut width is a nice 1.685" which makes it more comfortable for me to play than the typical 1.65" Fender nut. The controls are a little different than vintage Jags, but probably more useful for most folks. It's worth trying.

jaguars are so unique sounding...due to so many factors!!! the scale for sure...the claw pickups...the trem system...the bridge...the intricate tone control circuitry

even tho they share the same bridge and trem system as the jazzmaster...they sound nothing alike!!

nothing beats a jag for certain tones...but as an overall player it doesn't approach a jazzmaster...jazzmaster is lush by compare

cheers

I have a Classic Player which I like a lot. Apparently I should change the pups for the avr62 or 65 models, maybe I will one day

A pal saw it hanging on my studio wall and sound 'ahhh, that's the last guitar design to look cool.' horses for courses of course, but I could see his point.

Prot I weep for what could have been.

Hmm. I thought Jags were 23.5. I suppose I could look it up...or measure mine.

Does the 24" Tele sound like a Tele? Suppose it would with manly enough strings.

– Proteus

Ah but dont' forget the 24" Tele came stock with Filtertron style in neck, so I put a TVJ in and sold the ChinaTron. Neck pickup is a hotter Telebucker. Has new big frets too. But even it may get beat out by these twead up Duo Sonics, and an experiment with a hacked 22.5' scale Duo Sonic may be in the works.

Seems to be a lot of new interest in Jaguars as of late, myself included. I was looking at the Vintera 60s Jazzmaster in Surf Green...

jaguars are so unique sounding...due to so many factors!!! the scale for sure...the claw pickups...the trem system...the bridge...the intricate tone control circuitry

even tho they share the same bridge and trem system as the jazzmaster...they sound nothing alike!!

nothing beats a jag for certain tones...but as an overall player it doesn't approach a jazzmaster...jazzmaster is lush by compare

cheers

– neatone

What he said.

I have an AVRI '62, I love it but it needs a better shielding/grounding set up, but I've love playing it. I've played it in a surfy punk band a few times, sounds killer, the pickups grind well with overdriven amps, and we all know how well they sound in clean tones for real surf or even jazz. At home, I prefer the darker circuit neck pickup, it can do fancy chords really well and its just a really beautiful tone. Stock pickups btw.
The cool thing about the Jag with the 'strangle switch' - closets one to the knobs, it cuts the bass and it works with the neck pickup, shaves off some boomy sounds that might happen in loud amp settings. I do, however, prefer the Jazzmaster pickups. One needs both, and a Mustang as well.

One needs both, and a Mustang as well.

Indeed. And I'm covered!

They are all over 8 pounds, closer to 9 some say so that closes this chapter, at least for me. Still going to try one for fun but really doubt it will go beyond that.

I had a Johnny Marr Jaguar for a while. Really wanted to love it because I love JM's playing and songwriting but just couldn't. Too thin sounding and I don't get along with a 7 1/4" radius. It did sound good but not for what I do.

XK120, OTS!

– Billy Zoom

I prefer the XKE FHC myself Billy!I have driven both but sadly cannot afford either!

My brother had an XKE Convertible.

He sold it.

Said after he'd had a drive on a twisty country road in the sun, then terrified himself on a corner, been stuck in the rain with bad Lucas electricals, then spent triple what it would cost to wire a car from scratch and they still weren't reliable, he'd had the whole Jaguar experience.

My brother had an XKE Convertible.

He sold it.

Said after he'd had a drive on a twisty country road in the sun, then terrified himself on a corner, been stuck in the rain with bad Lucas electricals, then spent triple what it would cost to wire a car from scratch and they still weren't reliable, he'd had the whole Jaguar experience.

– Proteus

I spent several years as an upholsterer in a high end Jag interior supplier. I got to drive a lot of them . They are truly beautiful beasts but fraught with lots of issues. The old guy in me definitely enjoys hopping in my trouble free Honda these days.Having said that I don’t consider my Honda HRV a piece of rolling sculpture..

Yep, they're gorgeous. Jaguar did no wrong from post-war to the mid-70s. There's still no better-looking car than either the 120 or the XKE. Different, and maybe as beautiful. Not better. The E-type has aged better than the Corvette of the same period.

The 120 has one of the worst driving/seating/control positions of any car ever. Not a fan of the E-type driving dynamics so.....Make mine a nice MK2 sedan!

The 120 has one of the worst driving/seating/control positions of any car ever. Not a fan of the E-type driving dynamics so.....Make mine a nice MK2 sedan!

– fistpicker

Exactly!I couldn’t imagine driving a couple hundred miles in an XK120 ! The foot controls are hilariously positioned. There is no footwell, your feet just go straight out like sitting on a cushion on your living room floor.Make mine a MKII for distance driving!

duane E's '63

cheers

Register Sign in to join the conversation