Other Guitars

If you want it, here it is, come and Eastwood…

Really, the biggest issue with Eastwood is the lack of attention to pickups, in my view. Compare to a car. Let's say a company made budget knock-offs or inspired by models of cool 1960s roadsters. But with a budget GM drive train. And charged 60% of the price for a BMW.

I completely understand the choices Eastwood makes to be able to sell guitars at their price point. I imagine most people are happy having guitars that look different but function and sound familiar to them. For the odd among us who enjoy the quirks, these can be interesting platforms to modify. For the truly lost, tracking down originals and getting them playing as much as possible is some sort of calling.

I'm in this last category. There's just something appealing to me about dialing in an old Kay or Teisco. Sometimes I wonder how much more skilled a guitarist I'd be if I'd taken all the hours I've spent futzing with old oddball guitars and amps and just played guitar...

PS. Strummerson, I think the car you're describing is a PT Cruiser.

I got a pt cruiser! Just in the garage now with it. Also got a couple of Eastwoods so I'm that kind of guy. I like to fiddle around swopping pups to experiment, happy with that

I'm also looking for replacements for the neck pup on my gretsch jet firebird....stock filter trons leave a lot to be desired. What about that huh? Rest of the guitar is a thing of beauty though

Way, way back — early 1964 — I seemed to be breaking strings (probably Cathedral, which weren't up to much) on my main gigging guitar, a Harmony H75. I had very little money, but went looking for a standby guitar and found a rather bashed up Guyatone LG50 at Hessy's in Liverpool for £8.19s. 6d (old money — just under nine quid which translates at today's exchange rate at about $14 or $15). I liked it because it was the same guitar that one of the guys in Rory Storm and the Hurricanes (Ringo's old band) used and he got a great honky sound out of it. Unfortunately, mine only lasted about nine months — an AC30 fell on it in the back of the van (case? what case?) during some enthusiastic cornering, and the Guyatone's neck snapped.

Fast forward to 2016 and Eastwood guitars. They offer a replica Guyatone LG50 and, if this YouTube demo is anything to go by, it sounds pretty juicy. If only it still cost £8. 19s. 6d.

Whoa howdy! Now THAT I pretty unreservédly like. Guy's a good player, of course, but seems it would be hard to fake the tone. Which is mighty appealing. I can't swear to its fidelity to the original, but the player writes about the guitar in a review and says it's definitely in the ballpark, maybe the infield.

A kudo or two to Eastwood for this, anyway, huh.

I do think Eastwood has made an understandable choice in relying on modern part-bin hardware on their "nod guitars" (good term for it) - I just wonder if the nods would become nearer embraces if they made hardware choices (still from already-available components) which would better capture the sonic vibe of the originals. (And, in some cases, if the guitars were truer to original body construction.)

Maybe it's because they've sucked me in more than once, and I just keep hoping. It's the difference between a guitar you can bond with and love, and a guitar you just wear because, from the back of the room, it looks the part.

Really, the biggest issue with Eastwood is the lack of attention to pickups, in my view. Compare to a car. Let's say a company made budget knock-offs or inspired by models of cool 1960s roadsters. But with a budget GM drive train. And charged 60% of the price for a BMW.

– Strummerson

I completely agree... kinda reminds me of the old VW Kit Car craze of the 70's--- the cool and fast-looking Bradley GT... sitting on the frame and drivetrain of a VW Beetle!

I agree that pickups are perhaps the area that could really make a difference. Dave Robinson, Mike's brother, told me that the topic of pickups comes up fairly often. I suspect that it is all about pricing. Assuming construction is solid, that would probably be my first target for mods.

I agree that pickups are perhaps the area that could really make a difference. Dave Robinson, Mike's brother, told me that the topic of pickups comes up fairly often. I suspect that it is all about pricing. Assuming construction is solid, that would probably be my first target for mods.

– Journeyman

Sidebar your honor,

This demo by RJ is my favorite Eastwood demo. He plays such a wonderful instrumental version of Miley's Wrecking Ball.

BTW, some of their National, Airline, and Supro recreations do come with pickups that are supposed to be pretty much the same as the "looks like a humbucker, but it's really a single coil" pickups that Valco put in those guitars back in the 50s & early 60s. I've played a couple of them with those pickups, They sounded pretty good to me - and I might have bought one, if I hadn't been so broke at the time.

R J Ronquillos demos for Eastwood are really great. I had to post this example of the guitar I made with them....just because I'm proud of it. It was a 'labor of love', just cos I'm a fan. Links family were great to deal with

R J Ronquillos demos for Eastwood are really great. I had to post this example of the guitar I made with them....just because I'm proud of it. It was a 'labor of love', just cos I'm a fan. Links family were great to deal with

– Vince_Ray

Vince, I love the graphics on the Link tribute model (and that killer strap that comes with it)! I wouldn't mind having one myself!

BTW, some of their National, Airline, and Supro recreations do come with pickups that are supposed to be pretty much the same as the "looks like a humbucker, but it's really a single coil" pickups that Valco put in those guitars back in the 50s & early 60s. I've played a couple of them with those pickups, They sounded pretty good to me - and I might have bought one, if I hadn't been so broke at the time.

– EllenGtrGrl

That's right Ellen; I forgot about that. I seem to recall that one guitar had P90s in a humbucker style chrome cover.

That Bel-Air needs a tailpiece and needs to be under a grand.

Once again, you've contributed to my GAS, Proteus. I just pre-ordered this: Link Here

I hope it sounds good or could be made playable, but if not, that is beyond cool to hang on the wall in the lounge at the studio.

Hey Cap'n GMan...that one caught my eye too. What stopped me was not being able to tell exactly how ludicrous (or, possibly, graceful) the shape so familiar to us from mandolines will look when scaled up to guitar size.

Fabulous or freaky, though, I guess it will make an interesting hall-hanging.

That really captures how Eastwood comes close...but we aren't playing horseshoes or lobbing hand grenades. That f-hole just floats in the middle of nowhere. And the middle of the burst is much much too yellow. And the headstock is neither here nor there. I've always been interested in "scroll" guitars and electrics shaped like older stringed instruments. So I was to four or six looks at it as well. Certainly should make a discussion piece. But seems so indicative of how Eastwood just doesn't quite make it there far too often.

Also, I think they should offer certain models with pickup options. Upcharge for better pickups.

The guitars play fine. Prices are ok. They look cool . Buy 'em, tweak 'em and enjoy. The way a guitar looks is the primary inspiration for GAS. How often have you bought a guitar that plays and sounds great....but you hate the colour and the way it looks? That doesn't seem to happen. We're stupid like that. How often have we bought 2k worth of guitar that led to us 'upgrading' bridges and pickups? We're stupid like that. Play the godamn guitar and enjoy it

I so often do. I'm stupid like that!

Me too. But sometimes they really come together. The absolute soulful majesty of my 1940 Epiphone Triumph, in terms of looks, sound, and feel...That one has it all.

It is a wonderful thing when it all comes together....and at a good price. I'm desperate for a silvertone amp in case guitar and I can't figure out why

The guitars play fine. Prices are ok. They look cool . Buy 'em, tweak 'em and enjoy. The way a guitar looks is the primary inspiration for GAS. How often have you bought a guitar that plays and sounds great....but you hate the colour and the way it looks? That doesn't seem to happen. We're stupid like that. How often have we bought 2k worth of guitar that led to us 'upgrading' bridges and pickups? We're stupid like that. Play the godamn guitar and enjoy it

– Vince_Ray

I guess the Eastwoods are fine as long as you buy them for looks. The majority of their customers probably never played the "original version" of their Eastwood, and are just fine with what they got.

I have a '56 Supro Dual Tone I bought back when they were realistically priced, and The Eastwood version might be a fun guitar, and good looking, but a Dual Tone it's not. Which is fine, unless that is what you were really after.

Hey Cap'n GMan...that one caught my eye too. What stopped me was not being able to tell exactly how ludicrous (or, possibly, graceful) the shape so familiar to us from mandolines will look when scaled up to guitar size.

Fabulous or freaky, though, I guess it will make an interesting hall-hanging.

– Proteus

Sir, Proteus: There's a photo of the Mando guitar sitting next to a Les Paul to give you an idea on scale, etc. The two videos on the site also add some perspective. Guess we'll see sometime in October...

Register Sign in to join the conversation