Other Guitars

I Love Gooooold…

Pickguards, that is...:D

Lately, I've been on a gold pickguard kick - let's see yours!

Onlyest pic I have of the P-Bass.

None yet of the Rick 4003.

That’s all, folks.

(wish I knew how to put up more than one pic in a post)

I’ve tried twice to source an anodized gold guard for my CIJ Jazzmaster, and have two versions of holes-don’t-line-up to show for my money.

Still wish I could find one.

I’ve tried twice to source an anodized gold guard for my CIJ Jazzmaster, and have two versions of holes-don’t-line-up to show for my money.

– Proteus

I’m pretty sure you can get one from Fender’s Mod Shop.

– Proteus

Doh! If I had known the Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster pickguard didn't work out for you, I'd have bought it back off you (I gifted it to you and you gave me a Tru-Arc discount).

I had been on the hunt for a replacement one as I recently got bored with my custom mint pickguard. I thought about asking about the original pickguard and to see if you got on with it alright but I didn't want to bother you about it.

Finally found one off of Facebook for $40 from a nice guy up in Connecticut last week.

If an aftermarket pickguard is unavailable, I'd recommend buying a sheet of anodized gold and use your original pickguard as a template to make a custom guard (or have a guitar tech do it). My custom mint pickguard was made this way by my guitar tech for my refin'd Squire J Mascis Jazzmaster.

IIRC I got this P/G from Fender via Sweetwater

They all look fantastic!

I realized I left a few things out of my opening post. To rectify:

I love gold anodized guards too! Gold on gold is even better!

It seems not to be a challenge to find gold anodized for American Jazzmasters, or even Squier JMs. It's specifically the Crafted-in-Japan models that pose the problem.

I'd forgotten where I got the other guard, Steve. I should send that back to you, shouldn't I? Or sell it and split the proceeds with you?

Since I just bought another one, please go ahead and sell it and keep the proceeds. You might be able to fetch $40 - $50 for it now.

I think back in the day (and sorry, I'm unable to locate the emails discussing the gold pickguard) you gave me a $25 discount on a Tru-Arc back then.

If'n I were you, I'd just buy a sheet of anodized gold and make a custom one for your guitar. Good luck!

OK.

If'n I were you, I'd just buy a sheet of anodized gold and make a custom one for your guitar.

I’ve made several plexi pickguards, and they’ve come out OK. But me cut aluminum, bevel the edges, cut out those fiddly pickup holes, locate and countersink all the screw holes? Never happen - don’t have the tools or the experience.

I could lean on the shop to do it - but they wouldn’t be anxious for the work, and I’d rather they were making bridges.

I’ll keep looking. I did make a perfect trace of the existing plastic guard last time I had it off. Maybe with that, Pickguardian or WD would oblige.

Hey Tim, I remembered today that there are some guys on the Offsetguitars.com forum that make pickguards for reasonable cost, not just the guy who makes the expensive (but really, really awesome vintage style tort guitars) Spitfire Pickguards.

If you let me know the exact make and model of your CIJ Jazzmaster guitar as well as send me some photos of your guitar and the trace of the existing plastic guard, I could ask around on there for you.

Some of those guys are pretty handy and may already have made a template for your pickguard available. At least, I could find out for you what it would cost to have one made if you can send them a copy of the trace.

Hey, I've got one of those, too! Dadgum holes!

Black and gold is so stunning. Very nice!

My 56 NOS CS Strat... originally a one-ply white guard, of course.

Register Sign in to join the conversation