Other Guitars

I gotta find one of these

Very cool! The first band I was ever part of (in 1969 or so) included a fellow -Charlie W- with a large-bodied folk guitar that he had somehow performed this same magic on. It had a sound hole pup and he used a converted RCA record player as his amp, but he was able to thumb-pick bass lines and finger-pick the remaining four strings.

As I recall, the combination sounded far more like an upright bass than a Fender Precision, but the folk group setting (lots of Lightfoot, Cohen, Simon & Garfunkel, PP&M and the like) it fit right in.

In the decades since '69, I've never run across another one and thought Charlie was alone in his quest... Now I think I want to try one myself!

25.5" scale---too long for you, isn't it?

Scott Lucas of Local H, gets the same effect with a regular 6-string guitar. What he's done since the early 90s, is use a Fender P-Bass pickup on the bottom 2 strings of his guitar, routing the signal from the pickup to an octave pedal set 1 octave down, and then through a bass amp. The setup was originally done out of necessity in the early days, due to issues the band had with retaining a bass player. They didn't want to do the White Stripes/Black Keys thing (though Local H predates those bands by a few years), and wanted to have the bottom end that a 3-piece band has sound-wise, so the goofy guitar setup just mentioned, was adopted. Scottt Lucas still uses this setup.

That's not a bass guitar you're hearing on "Headed For The Floor" (Local H's most well known song) - it's Scotts guitar, with the extra P-Bass pickup, and octave pedal.

Scott Lucas Shows His Guitar Setup

Very cool! The first band I was ever part of (in 1969 or so) included a fellow -Charlie W- with a large-bodied folk guitar that he had somehow performed this same magic on. It had a sound hole pup and he used a converted RCA record player as his amp, but he was able to thumb-pick bass lines and finger-pick the remaining four strings.

As I recall, the combination sounded far more like an upright bass than a Fender Precision, but the folk group setting (lots of Lightfoot, Cohen, Simon & Garfunkel, PP&M and the like) it fit right in.

In the decades since '69, I've never run across another one and thought Charlie was alone in his quest... Now I think I want to try one myself!

– Kevin Frye

Chet did this on his 1968 album Solo Flights. Modified a dc 6120 with bass strings on the E/A strings.

25.5" scale---too long for you, isn't it?

– wabash slim

Appear to be discontinued. Well, 25.5 scale basses (had a few) can be made to work so 25.5 for guitar is just something i would have to live with -- even like I did for the 9 string for sale here and the new 9 string you will see in a while.

I had the same idea as above with the octave pedal but the sound didn't cut it. So over to this other idea

How about a Variax? Hmmm, it may be that you can't do that on a Variax.

Register Sign in to join the conversation