Other Guitars

Hey wood species dudes!

can’t tell poison ivy from Romain lettuce.

Neither can I. It's a problem when you have a garden up next to untended ground. But poison ivy isn't as good with blue cheese dressing.

Really sweet guitar. I just NGD'd a Classic Vibe Tele, so now I have all my Teles out putting on fresh strings and comparing. This one's standing right up for itself. (I haven't dragged out my actual Fender 70s Tele yet - which has always won these shootouts in the past.) - Proteus

I'm going to go a little off the rails here but as a player wanting the best tones out of their guitars, what is your rationale for buying more Telecasters when you have a 1970s Telecaster that beats them all anyway? Of course I understand wanting more toys to play with. What I'm genuinely curious about was the decision making process before you bought the other Telecasters when you already have a great one. Maybe this should be its own thread.

Hah! Good questions all, and well received. I've asked myself the same thing. I believe the subject will be well served in another thread, which I'm thinking about - but I want to get sound clips done of all four guitars for community comparison.

Short version of the decision-making process: oooh shiny!

Looking forward to the sound clips.

Ha! Thanks for the reminder. The guitars are all out; they're ready when I am. Perhaps tomorrow...

maybe you just aren't using the right blue cheese dressing.

Love this thread!!!! Now in an effort to instigate thread drift, I’ve been curious about Thinlines for some time. I have 3 solid telemacasters. Does such a small body being semihollow make a noticeable difference? BTW my vote is basswood/mahogany laminate.

can’t tell poison ivy from Romain lettuce.

Neither can I. It's a problem when you have a garden up next to untended ground. But poison ivy isn't as good with blue cheese dressing.

– Proteus

Poison ivy is best with Ranch dressing.

Love this thread!!!! Now in an effort to instigate thread drift, I’ve been curious about Thinlines for some time. I have 3 solid telemacasters. Does such a small body being semihollow make a noticeable difference? BTW my vote is basswood/mahogany laminate.

– tubwompus

well, the mahogany-bodied Fender thinlines certainly sound heaps different from a standard Tele, though some of that may be the wood rather than the construction.

Yeah, I can't be sure the f-hole "chamber" does anything on a Tele. One would have to have two side-by-side, identical in all construction and part detail (wood, depth, neck, pickups, strings) to determine that.

My Tele comparo - with my rationale for having multiples - is still in the works, but has been complicated and extended by, I'm sorry, more Teletypes landed or incoming. When finished, it will be at least pseudo-epic - but of little practical use, as half the guitars included are not readily available anyway. (And a couple don't even look like Teles.)

Register Sign in to join the conversation