Other Guitars

Hey wood species dudes!

What do we think this body wood is?

Body was made in Canada. Looks ashy on the outside to me. Inside grain doesn't seem to match. Suppose it's a laminate?

All two Canadian guitars I’d had have been made of cherry.

Almost looks like spruce with an ash laminate on the outside.

ok..i'll play

top looks like ash...solid cap or veneer (probably) ???

back might be paulownia wood...it has that spruce type grain..but much much softer...(& cheaper!) ...tho fine ancient japanese string instrument wood..aka as kiri wood

cheers

Front looks like ash. How about a pic of the outside of the back?

Inside looked like mahogany to me too.

It will be hard to get a pic of the back. It's so dark, and so reflective.

For the record, I don't know the answer. That's why I'm asking.

mahogany doesn't have tight straight grain like that..

cheers

I'm thinking ash top, mahogany back. So, what is the center? With limited milled center, the only thing related to tone of a Telecaster is the predominate wood.

Lee

Looks like ash on top of sapele, often used in place of mahogany. Made in Canada from native lumber? Press your fingernail into it (inside wood, not the red lacquered ash). Sapele/mahogany are pretty hard. Spruce is softer.

Curt knows woods really well --see what he says ?

Sounds like it could be whatever the hell you want it to be. (Smiley face here) What is the particular guitar in question?

It's a partscaster. Body made by Garrison Guitars of Canada, who apparently had an innovative acoustic line at one time which didn't fly; they then went into contract production. This body came from a period when they were selling blank-headstock guitars to music stores who wanted a vanity house brand; they'd put whatever (legal) logo on there you wanted.

I saw it hanging in an area music store maybe 10 years ago, and it looked like a 500.00 guitar. Told myself if it was under 300.00, I was buying it. It was. I did. Neck wasn't all it should have been, so now it has a Fender CIJ neck I got in a deal with a GDPer. Nice and chunky.

Really sweet guitar. I just NGD'd a Classic Vibe Tele, so now I have all my Teles out putting on fresh strings and comparing. This one's standing right up for itself. (I haven't dragged out my actual Fender 70s Tele yet - which has always won these shootouts in the past.)

Anyway. I was cleaning and polishing (as I do when I change strings), and just got curious about the wood. It seemed odd that the inside wood was so different in grain from the outside. Apparently a sandwich: I can just barely see the seam for the top around the rim, maybe.

It's an f-holer, obviously, and the inside block looks sprucey/piney, but with a coarser grain than the inside bottom.

The back of the guitar shows at least two pieces side-by-side - but not seamed down the middle. Different grains.

So yep, looks like an ash cap on a different species.

While the body wood is a large component of Tele tone, so are the pickups. (And the neck species - but I know that part of the formula.) Anyway, without having the same pickups in this and the other Teles I'm comparing, it's hard to tell what the wood is contributing. I think the chamber is doing exactly nothing - but the guitar is darker/fuller-sounding and louder than the Classic Vibe.

I don't want it to be anything but what it is. Just curious.

Oh. I can’t find anything online about Garrison electric guitars, which were never so branded. But I'd understood Gibson bought the company during Henry's regime as a source of wood. Dunno. The body is certainly well put together.

It kind of looks like Douglas-fir to me. Plenty available in Canada, similar to spruce or pine but with a bit more contrast between the late wood/early wood, and overall not as pale as spruce or pine - can have a deeper amber colour, or pink hues, or sometimes almost heading towards cedar colours of brown.

And a bit harder so doesn't dent as easily as spruce or pine.

Okay here's a different idea.

Ash can have tight grain. The body is likely 2 pieces (I'm not really a telecaster knowledgable guy). The top looks more flat sawn. The back could be more quarter sawn showing the edge grain.

I have an ash board here that has growth rings that vary between 1/32" and 1/8". Check out the end grain and how tight the grain is near the boards edges.

Being a bowyer, I'm a wood grain and growth ring orientation guy.

Well, from the pic, the inside looks like mahogany to me. So hard to tell from that, though.

You almost nailed it with the thread title. If you're going to follow the Dalton Carrington Birdman model, you can not capitalize words just because they lead off a sentence. Capitalization is reserved for proper nouns, end of story. And I'm not sure the exclamation point is consistent with Dexter Chase Birdman's syntax. The effort is appreciated, but work remains to be done.

Well, it’s an IP thing. It’s as close as I could get without owing Birdman licensing fees.

It’s definitely tree wood. Most likely the leafy or needled variety.

As always, I’m happy to help.

the back wood does look mahogany-ish, but the grain's too consistent for modern-era mahogany which varies immensely from piece to piece. i would suspect sapele, bubinga, or one of the other mahogany/rosewood-alikes, which seem to be more even in grain density.

Well, it’s an IP thing. It’s as close as I could get without owing Birdman licensing fees.

– Proteus

I should have known. You're a clever man.

It’s definitely tree wood. Most likely the leafy or needled variety.

As always, I’m happy to help.

– NJBob

After careful scrutinization, I'm going to have agree with Bob on this one. It's definitely tree wood!

After careful scrutinization, I'm going to have agree with Bob on this one. It's definitely tree wood!

– Wade H

Funny thing is, I took a lot of Botany courses toward my Bio degree but today can’t tell poison ivy from Romain lettuce.

Register Sign in to join the conversation